What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
Like Benny I didn't find it overly insightful, he clearly was in attendance for SK's benefit, then again like Benny I'm far too impatient with people who can't grasp the obvious . . . one of my many faults. To people who were there needing answers to the questions asked it had to be insightful so I agree with you in that respect

You'll find coaches who have a good rapport with people that matter to them are uncomfortable talking to people that don't need to participate in the camaraderie, or wasting their breath if you like. Benny sums it up when he says it's not rocket science . . . just a matter of getting everyone on the same rocket

No-one should now however be disillusioned by Kearney's efforts at Parramatta, I doubt Benny or Bellyache would have faired any better in the joint. Their simple rule of thriving through cohesiveness would have been shot to pieces as was Kearney's

I was interested in SK's thoughts on the 'NZ way', not completely embraced by Benny but I reckon Steve understands the beast better. If Kearney ever teaches the Kiwis to become just a little more ruthless and conjoins that with orchestrated rather than spontaneous passion, which is the NZ way, they will become the true equal of Australia

To do that Kearney has to find a halves pairing that is despised by the opposition for their cunning, something I've never seen in a NZ or Warrior team. Not saying Kiwi players aren't smart enough, just not conditioned enough during their upbringing, they need more homegrown Maloneys

I've always had faith in SK, just watching how he played and how he wore the game on his sleeve was enough for me. You could clearly see that Benny doesn't know what the fuss is about, he's not so much in love with SK that he'd let him hang around just for old time's sake

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Benny was on it because it was a NZ Connecting Coaches seminar & if you want to hear a coach speak about that (and other things he'd be right up there) but you're right its not his thing obviously to have to state the obvious & did for SK's sake I guess. Hanson, Tietjens & a few others also featured.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
What I found enlightening was SK's capacity to grow as a coach...something that wasn't immediately obvious a few years ago.

Benny is a master of understatement and has an economy of words that if you're not listening closely you miss what he's saying. He has studied indifference down to a fine art but contradicts it with his obvious care for his players and won't tolerate egos that threaten his 'team' mentality...I understood him to be a great coach but this was the first time I'd gained some clear insight into what he believes is fundamental to that. Haven't listened that closely before...

While Benny conceded the 'kiwi way' was part myth, part fact and drew on the Maroons psyche to compare the siege mentality bit, you're right that SK is in a better position to understand the beast and has learnt that its not about talent only (character is the priority) and is implementing a team culture that has played a large part in recent success - pride in the jersey, the country & team - something that Oz now wants to re-invigorate in the Kangaroos.

But as you said, the Kiwis need to get the halves right...at the moment they use their other strengths to compensate & that won't be sustainable now that Oz has decided they don't like being 2nd any time. England's looming as well.

Looks to be some interesting and exciting battles ahead on the international front.

Hoping for the same in the NRL...go the Storm! :D

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
For me a conundrum, I wouldn't mind Parra/Penrith/Wests forming a conglomerate named 'Cumberland Wildcats' and give 2 national teams the vacated spots but I also wouldn't mind the current coaches of the 3 finishing in the top 4 this year. If that happened my dream of curing RL of Sydneyitis would be a shot duck

Jennings, whose over value has him 'in the way' again, could earn his money at Parra if he's determined to prove a point, which is the only time he ever really steps up. So, with a coach I wish all the best, administration free of the Fitzy Gremlin for the time being and a roster that may rival the Sharks for determination . . . well, anything could happen

Then there's my well documented desire Taylor wipes the f**king smile off media faces, I haven't given up hope the little bloke is a supercoach in waiting. Nothing to do with the possibility of RF being dealt the comeuppence he deserves

I'd like nothing better than to see Hook win the cup, even though Jabba would take the credit how good would it be. More importantly if all three clubs could remain top 4 contenders for years to come with these 3 coaches how good would that be. Throw in Sticky for good measure . . . the 4 of them leading the teams to beat for the next 5 years

Reality is the salary cap is again playing ducks and drakes with the game . . . not enough for clubs to just coach their way out of the shit

POPEYE

Coach
Never been fond of players who think their shit doesn't stink so it's going to be hard to wish Jennings well at Parramatta, hopefully Foran's dedication will rub off on everyone in the joint. In a career overpaid when compared to value for money the spoilt Jennings may now be forced to become more opportunistic

Walters has made a statement, by giving Hagan the flick he intends to actually coach Qld, hopefully he truly is a worthy addition to the NRL coaching ranks. Methinks he thinks the only way anyone will recognise him as a future NRL head coach is to elevate his influence beyond his stature. I wish him the very best in his daring venture

My favourite Croker is going to make a reappearance in the Nines, another reason to tune in if anyone needed it. I reckon every ex-NRL fitness fanatic should have a go. Speaking for the older generation it's great to see players younger than us but 'too old' for the naïve Nines doomsayer wankers have a run

RIP Brian Johnson

POPEYE

Coach
They're going to make players play the ball with the foot actually touching it, seems fair enough in the hope that most will get somewhere near it. I'd be happy if one foot is raised and passes over a stationary ball close enough to make the effort realistic . . . stationary being the key element and not a replay-demanding contact of it

Imagine, like the Cricket no-ball, if The Bunker denies a try because the last play-the-ball didn't show absolute contact, all we need is another time waster to help negate the Bunker's value. Actually touching the ball is a piss in the ocean compared to the real part of the play-the-ball that needs rectifying

When did the old rule stating a player must rise to his feet on the spot he was tackled and play the ball become null and void, I missed the change point. Do players now get the metres they gain by side stepping the tackler before they play the ball credited to them. Does it matter in a 6 tackle set leading up to a try that the one metre side step on each of 5 tackles was instrumental in it being scored

If referees can't enforce players putting the ball on the ground in the exact spot their original momentum was halted how the f**k will their eyesight cope with determining if a foot was placed on it

POPEYE

Coach
Someone posted LM'S resume on this thread previously . . . could've swore blind it was you

Anyway, just like you I can't wait

POPEYE

Coach
Pity the NRL CEO saga wasn't free to air in weekly instalments, or at least on Fox, since Crowe is so involved he could play the role of Richardson. Now that Harrison Ford has found dying his only choice at a script he could play Grant and there's umpteen shaved head B grade actors to play G'Turd

Would you believe SR has taken a pay cut to return as SIR for Souths, I don't, methinks he has found a fountain of youth and his cup has runneth over. Crowe has proven far too Rusty at calling the shots, he and the Soup Nazi coach are like tits on a bull to administration. The rumoured 500k for Richo is just spending money imo, Richo has found a live horse in his bed

Can you blame the bloke, Todd has said he intends to implement the best of Richo's findings, which is the same as saying 'Piss off to pasture, I'll ride glory from here'. I'll bet Richo thinks his tenure will be far more productive, sanitised, satisfying, electrifying and above all else secure at Souths . . . all he has to do is again assure players he has the last word in their future endeavours

Richo should thank Rusty, not just for the dough/promises but for making his enlistment imperative

expert

Juniors
Pity the NRL CEO saga wasn't free to air in weekly instalments, or at least on Fox, since Crowe is so involved he could play the role of Richardson. Now that Harrison Ford has found dying his only choice at a script he could play Grant and there's umpteen shaved head B grade actors to play G'Turd

Would you believe SR has taken a pay cut to return as SIR for Souths, I don't, methinks he has found a fountain of youth and his cup has runneth over. Crowe has proven far too Rusty at calling the shots, he and the Soup Nazi coach are like tits on a bull to administration. The rumoured 500k for Richo is just spending money imo, Richo has found a live horse in his bed

Can you blame the bloke, Todd has said he intends to implement the best of Richo's findings, which is the same as saying 'Piss off to pasture, I'll ride glory from here'. I'll bet Richo thinks his tenure will be far more productive, sanitised, satisfying, electrifying and above all else secure at Souths . . . all he has to do is again assure players he has the last word in their future endeavours

Richo should thank Rusty, not just for the dough/promises but for making his enlistment imperative
Canavan to titans big loss for Easts.

expert

Juniors
Ropati thinks the looseness of the Warriors team even with their super signings requires an average player [Jeff Robson] to steady their ship.

POPEYE

Coach
Robson might be an average player this side of the ditch but in the land of the wandering mind he will be an anomaly. Not since Maloney will they have someone with an unshakeable drive to accomplish a game plan, the bloke will do his best to follow instructions and we'll all find out if the coach is to blame or not.

Just as you are trying to wind me up so will Robson try to achieve the unachievable, irony could be who will get the credit if the Warriors make the 4. Must be Roger, Shaun or Issac . . . couldn't possibly be a little no-hoper who only knows one way to play.

Interesting that Ropati thinks Shaun is 80% of the reason the Warriors can't finish a game the way they start, no such illusion about Jeff, if they can't follow his instruction maybe his example will be enough

And . . . Canavan might want to be a Richo who he could never be while Nick rules the Roost . . . nothing to do with money

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Seems that this time of the year there are less forum goers than media RL experts, one of which describes Jennings as the best Centre in the game. I wouldn't swap Jennings for SKD and neither would Robbo even if value for money wasn't the reason Michael had to go, still, dollars per try scored has to have the Kiwi way in front

Said it before, I prefer players that give their all and not expect too much in return so SKD over Jennings is a no brainer for me. I was hoping Shaun would be the victim and Bellamy would throw him a lifeline, unfortunately the bloke will still have to be poached to terminate his one-club status

If nothing else had changed except SKD being born a Queenslander the bloke would have been every bit as established as Inglis in the Origin team, such is his value in perpetuating one-in all-in. He brings far more to the Roosters than Jennings ever would and he scores tries as well

POPEYE

Coach
Thank f**k for 20 over Cricket, shame we couldn't have an extended RL Nines night series to match it. If Soccer can be played in the Summer there's no reason an abbreviated RL series can't. Maybe the ARLC is scared, maybe all the players without an NRL contract actually making a well paid living outside of the 'main game' might be too much to contemplate

Is it that the ARLC is not as competent as the mob running Cricket or are they afraid players like Slater would do a Gilchrist and move on to a different pasture. Said it before, NRL clubs needn't be involved in the Nines, Fox and Nine wouldn't be needed either, contracted NRL players needing permission from their clubs if they wanted to make a cameo appearance is also OK.

Doesn't it cross the minds of the ARLC that the rotation/emergence of RL players could be as advantageous as the rotation/emergence of Cricket players . . . is 'the more the merrier' beyond their comprehension. Do we need f**kwits claiming there is not enough talent to fill more than 16 NRL clubs when the effort to find more is so pathetic we need a salary cap

One thing is certain, just like T20 Cricket, a shortened version of RL would not only attract new and starved supporters it would garner the attention of every CEO and talent scout and anyone wishing the game of RL to prosper wouldn't miss a minute of the action

POPEYE

Coach
If the Titans Bird is allowed to do what he wants can't see why a Rooster shouldn't also get away with simpleton displays . . . anyway, I'm not the one to adjudicate what people do when they're on the piss

Crikey I hope Mose Masoe can put a lot of games together this year, he looks trim and terrific, can't wait to see what he gets away with in the NRL. I'm rapt in his version of a 'fine line' just as I don't have a problem with the way James Graham compensates for lack of agility.

There's not enough rip, shit or bust in RL and hopefully MM will rival JWH and not become just another f**king Kasiano. Listening to Mose it's obvious he is far quicker between the ears than Sam and hopefully can play proper, good old fashioned RL minutes . . . speaking of which I hope I'm still around when the game has only 6 interchanges

POPEYE

Coach
Nothing else to talk about I guess, I've always sympathised with Pearce's lack of good coaching in the years that mattered the most. Never bothered me that he was the bluntest tool in the shed, after all RL can be played by dopes, off-field shenanigans have never concerned me

What I'm shitty about is how easy it all is . . . premeditating the off-field shit I mean. Here I am still with a small mortgage and all I had to do was arrange for bellyache and I to take Mitchell chasing feral pigs. There's umpteen ways of making a f**king idiot of yourself in the bush, we could have found a nice sow for the bloke to mount while we took happy snaps

On the flip side it's great to see John Farragher given an OAM for services to RL, I remember the game that changed his life, pity his efforts since are far less newsworthy than MP

POPEYE

Coach
It has to be conceded the Cowboys have set a new benchmark in promoting the game of Rugby League, the effort they made to show the cup to as many NQ constituents as possible is more than just relief in finally winning the thing. Just as the extra-ordinary effort should set a precedent so should it be a catalyst for another change

That change is my same ol' same ol' nauseating to most rant about the ARLC doing more to keep champion teams intact. Players such as Coote who are welcomed but nevertheless transients and as such fair game to poachers should not be a protected species, but some players should. NQ supporters deserve not to be worried their team will be decimated by the dollar

Green is hoping his dreamed of dynasty will eventuate before the team is gutted by the brain dead NRL lack of foresight which could be postponed if one-club players were given more credence. RL needs all the help it can get and there's no better way to promote the game than creating more new talent . . . recycling the old is for rubbish tips

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
"...the ARLC doing more to keep champion teams intact."

If that ever happens Storm should be given their premierships back ;-)

Latest posts