What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

Jason Maher

Immortal
How many Seagle supporters Australia wide would know or care who administers Brookvale Oval, probably less than the number of RL supporters who realise the Rabbitohs' Leagues Club is closer to Sydney Town Hall than the Sydney Roosters' LC

Where I come from kids who are encouraged by their fathers to follow the Sea Eagles don't go to bed dreaming about Brookie or Pittwater Rd and Bulldog supporters are here because the last place they'd want their kids to live is f**king SWS

We need a poll of all RL supporters, see how many follow the colours not the location, fmd, even 1% MC's know the value of spreading their logo. Be interesting to find out how many Seagle supporters would dump the club if they moved to Bluetongue compared to the number gained

It's an interesting point you raise. My mob (for fairly obvious reasons) have a large and very dispersed fan base, including a truckload of them in SEQ where I live. Yet they all seem to care deeply about us remaining in our traditional locations, especially Kogarah. Or at least the ones I deal with on a regular basis do. For many of them, the red v jersey and the traditional home ground are just about all they care about. I haven't observed this same stubborn attachment to tradition from any other team's fans.

POPEYE

Coach
Nothing else to do yet but harp on the same subjects, Sticky says the timing of the Nines could be better because we don't see all the superstars of our game, I say why the f**k do we need to see ALL the superstars. Isn't it enough to have those that think they need the run to have a go and those that don't not be concerned with proving a point

Croker implies he'd swap trial games or vigorous training for a run in the Nines and why not. If we're talking 'superstars', or even established players, why not give them a choice of which pre-season arenas they want to prove their fitness in. Why is it necessary to burden players that will play no differently no matter how many f**king sand hills they run up and down

Can't for the life of me understand why we need to have superstars in trial games any more than we need them in the Nines, not as though either form of warm up is available to club supporters who like to drive to the footy.

If a coach can't help running his best players ragged before the real season starts he shouldn't complain when injuries overtake them. Let most of us just sit back in front of the tele and watch as many hopefuls as possible try to impress, every new 'discovery' a nail in the salary cap coffin

POPEYE

Coach
For anyone interested Kevin Walters was not unlike Cronk in his playing days, just as Cooper runs the Storm Kevvie ran every team he played in. Just as he was never fully recognised for his efforts then it's only with reluctance the powers that be are doing so now. He may have difficulty transferring his thoughts to the Toads but when it comes to RL smarts he is a 6 lane highway to Meninga's back road

KW actually intends to coach the team as well as administer it so he has no choice in what he's doing. Munster, and it's a safe bet Holmes, would never have ignored a curfew if either of the Super Bees were coach so Kevvie has acted accordingly

My wish would be for him to ban every Melbourne player from Origin for 12 months if not longer, he is doing Bellamy a favour. My bet is Munster will try to prove to the Master that his behaviour was only a gliche, naughty boys usually get drummed out of Mexico. Benny is in agreeance with KW'S stance for KW's sake, the Super Bee doesn't need to do anything other than give Milford the raised eyebrow

POPEYE

Coach
Speaking of Benny, did I miss a rebuttal other than his fellow coaches treading on his toes, did he expect his name to be offered up as NRL CEO. The reason I say this is the last time he had his feathers ruffled, which isn't outwardly an easy thing to do, he helped coach the Kiwis to an historic win. No better way to 'f**k youse all' than to take the land of rotten teeth to #1

For the record I recognise Benny as one of the best two coaches in RL, some years ago I said the AIS should establish a Head of Coaching position with him in mind, to oversee elite coaching to elite athletes.

When you think about it he has a right to burr up against the Tall Poppy Syndrome, synonymous only with Australia, he would be on a pedestal in Yanksville that would be sacrilege to undermine. We can expect more like 'Alcohol is out of control' from him the older he gets and less influence he generates

Like Monaghan, possibly now Pearce and definitely their hero Les Boyd, the Poms don't give a f**k about growing poppies and whinging about the consequences . . . I'll just limit my critique to taking the piss and hope Benny creates a RL triumvirate

Bigcoq

Juniors
Looking forward to seeing how the young players fare in all teams in the 9's.. I'll be keeping an eye on Nafe Seluini from the Storm as I thought he had something special when @ Roosters[played a few games in 1sts when smith was coach] but went by the way side. I met Nafe a few times and seemed to be cranky with a chip as a young fella but had a great running game and skill set, hope he finally reaches his potential...

Bigcoq

Juniors
When Nafe Seluini steps out for Storm at this weekend’s Auckland Nines he will be living proof of the Club’s Sunshine Coast vision.
Seluini’s selection in the 18-man squad is just-reward for the outstanding work displayed by the Sunshine Coast Falcons player throughout the pre-season.
The New Zealand born hooker and Falcons teammate Matt Grieve have spent the summer training with the Club’s first-grade squad.
Last August, Storm announced it would be basing its newly formed development Academy on the Sunshine Coast as well as the Club’s U20s side.
This announcement came a year after forming a feeder team partnership with the Sunshine Coast Falcons in the Intrust Super Cup. A main objective of the program was to identify local talent and provide a clear pathway into the NRL system.
That pathway will be realised this Saturday when Seluini runs out onto Eden Park in a purple jersey.
"It's been full-on (this pre-season), but everything I do, I do my best,” Seluini told the Sunshine Coast Daily.
"I'm a little bit nervous, but I just can't wait."
Nines coach Adam O’Brien believes the rapid-fire nature of the shortened format is perfectly suited to the playmaker’s skillset.
“I think this game suits him, he is quite a skillful and attacking player,” O’Brien said.
“I think he has earned his spot and we’re looking forward to seeing him get out there and run around with the footy in his hands.”
Newly appointed Falcons coach Craig Ingebrigtsen, who recruited Seluini from the Burleigh Bears at the end of last season, believes there is plenty of upside to the 25-year-old.
"He's no rookie to the footy system," he said to the Sunshine Coast Daily.
"I spent the last week with him andhe's an outstanding individual … he's humble and has all the traits to be a top level player, he has a good skill base and he's a solid tackler.
"He'll get a trial against Wests Tigers and if he gets to play NRL then I'm doing my job."

POPEYE

Coach
Most of us realise the Storm is a 4th Qld team hiding away from Benny, much to his chagrin, as the Sunshine Coast is the best part of Qld it deserves an NRL team of its own even if it is by proxy. A foot in the door there and one it appears in NZ make the Storm the equal of any other contributor to the game

Kyle Feldt is a prime example of what the Nines will contribute, if you believe the tabloids . . . made a big splash in the inaugural comp, had a short hiatus and now imo could make as big a nuisance of himself one day against the Blues as Dale Shearer did. Nothing better than a player that turns up when least expected

POPEYE

Coach
Forget the few wayward players and other codes the biggest threat to RL in Australia is media, if indeed Origin is the pinnacle and the premiership relegated to a step ladder the fact remains it's still only 3 games. 'Maroons in tatters' is another plop in a truckload of bullshit, part of the never ending search for negativity

When you've got a do-gooder puppet like Kenny Sutcliffe reading from doom and gloom Ch9 scripts what would you expect from freelance media. KW slapping the wrists of a few promising, probably now more dedicated hopefuls, is akin to grounding junior for the weekend.

The NSW media in particular should be concerned what position Laurie has been put in by Kevvie's stance, Qld could come out of this tomfoolery as the epitome of righteousness. In reality, KW's hiccup can be cured by a glass of water whereas the headaches caused by media can lead to far worse ailments

Pity that media aren't required to hire real experts, if Cronin, Menzies or other ex-players with real integrity were writing columns or scripts even I would be tempted to buy a newspaper or watch the news

The NSW media is more cannibalistic.
If this had happened to the NSW team they would not have stopped until they had run out of salt for the bones.
It's amazing that rugby league has survived, and dare I say thrived, in this country.

POPEYE

Coach
Mal has confirmed it in the high echelon SMH, we mortals who have been calling for the Nines to become an international event since inauguration haven't been pulling our puds after all. Mal probably is less demonstrative than the media make him out to be but wtf, I'm not game to read past the headline because I agree with it

Nines are still at the carnival stage as can be seen by the lack of enthusiasm in kicking drop goal conversions, most teams are treating the event as trials but so what, we starving beggars can't be choosers. Melbourne players are probably taking it seriously because they are concerned about repercussions if they don't, the Cowboys because they are thinking of the WCC warmup

With Mal on board calling for a revamp it may indeed come to fruition, taken out of the hands of the NRL and seriously by the ARLC we might end up with a true 'event' with teams named after anything other than NRL clubs . . . how f**king good would that be . . . providing less opportunity for the media to lambast an already strife torn premiership

I'm so enthused I'm going to read the whole article dedicated to Mal and hope for the best

Must add, after breakfast I read the article on a full stomach . . . crikey, Mal's a genius

Last edited:

POPEYE

Coach
Couldn't have scripted the Nine's better, except of course the goal kicking, the final participants were undoubtedly a dream come true for RL. Proven now not a game for big boppers it is doubtful if the Warriors will ever last the distance, not unless they search out more light framed players. On the other hand there will be truckloads of skinny long legged players rubbing their hands together

Talk is that standout players like French won't get a run in the NRL just on their performances in the Nines but only nincompoops will dwell on that. What matters is that the bloke won't have to go searching for a future, it will come to him and many others as a result of one weekend's exposure. The mind boggles at what could be found if the Nines became a summer night time series

The Warriors were responsible for keeping bums on seats and may have rewarded their fans if the cool rain continued all weekend. The Eels never once looked lucky, they looked competent the whole tournament, realising trying to hurt the opposition was a waste of energy they merely outlasted them . . . with a little cunning coaching thrown in

Now the difficulty will be for the Eels to hang on to the players they don't want to use immediately in the NRL, no-one from the Warriors will cause the same headaches. Will the Parramatta incompetence when it comes to retaining talent again rear it's ugly head or will the new coach find a way of circumventing the Carcinogenic Cap

Can't be much longer before it is realised the Nines is an entity of its own, not merely a shortened version of 'real' RL, it could become the perfect Rugby League Apprenticeship . . . providing its not left in the hands of 16 NRL clubs. Instead of Barrett whinging that his club was decimated he may one day see the Nines as a bit of late Christmas shopping

POPEYE

Coach
I was considering having a look at Superbowl but my lawn needed mowing and then I realised the Cricket was about to start, couldn't miss McCullum's ODI swansong. Still don't know who won the bowl but then I don't know who played . . . time to find out after breaky

Went to a birthday party last night but no-one mentioned the bowl, plenty of lively discussion about RL though. You may ask the reason for the dribble. Because the party had me missing the end of the Cricket I had to catch up this morning and in doing so the headline 'What can NRL learn from NFL' fleetingly crossed before my eyes

I'm here to tell you Australia needs to learn less about NFL and the US more about RL. Football should be retained as a sport and not a soap opera . . . surely the equivalent of Days Of Our Lives in a helmet can't be allowed to invade RL any more than it already does

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Couldn't have scripted the Nine's better, except of course the goal kicking, the final participants were undoubtedly a dream come true for RL. Proven now not a game for big boppers it is doubtful if the Warriors will ever last the distance, not unless they search out more light framed players. On the other hand there will be truckloads of skinny long legged players rubbing their hands together

Talk is that standout players like French won't get a run in the NRL just on their performances in the Nines but only nincompoops will dwell on that. What matters is that the bloke won't have to go searching for a future, it will come to him and many others as a result of one weekend's exposure. The mind boggles at what could be found if the Nines became a summer night time series

The Warriors were responsible for keeping bums on seats and may have rewarded their fans if the cool rain continued all weekend. The Eels never once looked lucky, they looked competent the whole tournament, realising trying to hurt the opposition was a waste of energy they merely outlasted them . . . with a little cunning coaching thrown in

Now the difficulty will be for the Eels to hang on to the players they don't want to use immediately in the NRL, no-one from the Warriors will cause the same headaches. Will the Parramatta incompetence when it comes to retaining talent again rear it's ugly head or will the new coach find a way of circumventing the Carcinogenic Cap

Can't be much longer before it is realised the Nines is an entity of its own, not merely a shortened version of 'real' RL, it could become the perfect Rugby League Apprenticeship . . . providing its not left in the hands of 16 NRL clubs. Instead of Barrett whinging that his club was decimated he may one day see the Nines as a bit of late Christmas shopping

Agree totally (which is in direct contrast to how the 1st series was won btw) and it was only a matter of time before it changed. There is room for the big boppers though as long as they're agile ball players with brains - there are a few.

The partnership RL has with Touch could well be a great match when Touch players realise there's no money future in their sport

POPEYE

Coach
Hard to imagine Cronk in anything other than a Storm jersey in club football but the bloke has paid his dues for Melbourne/Qld/Australia and he doesn't owe anyone anything. Can't imagine another player capable of keeping Thurston out of the #7 and even though older than Benji Mary knows daylight is the difference

Assuming Cooper may become a Dragon, there's still something about the Red V that denotes no better place to finish a career with, Widdop would again have to play second fiddle. Not sure how that would pan out but the exercise couldn't be anything less than fruitful

More to the point it would have less effect on Melbourne if the 3 were broken up gradually than at one fell swoop. Cronk's departure, only because he's the last of the three to decide, could be a far greater inspiration for hopefuls than many people imagine

POPEYE

Coach
Mario comes out one day and says he's paying the price for too many head knocks, the next day he reckons McInnes and Cook will be great for the Rabbitohs. For what its worth I don't think he's as confused now as he was when he was playing, I agree with Fenech, the youngsters as a pair could be far better for Souths than Luke was as an 'icon'

Imo Issac could prove more of a boat anchor for the Warriors than he did for Souths, if ever a #9 needed a backup it is Luke, hard to keep players' minds on the job when they wait for leaders to finally turn up. Like the great Lionel Rose, Luke does best on an empty belly, he doesn't cruise well

If Damien and Cameron understand they're operating in tandem with form as the decider and neither merely a plug it could indeed be exciting to watch. Souths do well for a team that selects players by throwing darts at a board, if they get everyone on board in the same mindset . . . that's right, Richo is back isn't he

POPEYE

Coach
If nothing else you've got to admire James Graham's obstinance, the bloke legalised a way of taking players out with his head when the rest of his kind were shitting themselves over shoulders, he then has the gall to question why all of his victims aren't sent off with concussion. He's now not convinced reduced interchange is the right way to go . . . dearie me, who could've f**king guessed

Even though James thinks we came down in the last shower I have a soft spot for the way he plays, his arrogance is neither here nor there as far as I'm concerned, as long as no-one actually listens to his lame bullshit.

He says the Thurstons of the game will run riot with less interchange but that's not the real reason he's having a whinge. He's dreading the fact a new breed of front rowers will emerge that he can't outlast . . . more like him . . . which is the reason he made it in the NRL

POPEYE

Coach
Mick Ennis is RL's car salesman, if he said it was raining you'd still have to poke your head out the window. We know Jack Bird is continually struggling with self importance, methinks Mick is waving the tattered Barba Flag to keep Jack's mind on the job

Problem with ego driven supremely talented players you never know what you're going to get, when lesser players around them are lackadaisical on the day they too easily join in. Difference between Bird and Barba is Ben has been well and truly worked out long ago whereas Jack, like truly enigmatic players, can't be pigeon holed

I reckon Jack could easily make a great fullback if he can make himself heard calling the defence, as well as committing to the extra defending of course, Mick is however wasting his time 'threatening' Jack with Ben . . . no-one believes Clint was firing real bullets when dressed as Josey Wales

POPEYE

Coach
Yesterday's shenanigans went as expected, except I thought the Indigenous and Dragons might win, came down to coaching in the end. Expecting Daley to win without Thurston was akin to imagining he could win against him, Laurie's not the sharpest tool in the shed and has trouble honing players to compensate for diversions.

It was really the Cam & Benny Show and although I felt sorry for Roberts catching cold, mindlessly searching for Barba got what it deserved. Crikey, the hype was almost unbearable, not long now and I can drop Superglue on the Ch9 button for the rest of the year . . . can still record Jessie J on The Voice without it, the channel has nothing else to interest me

Mary couldn't match Soup Nazi Maguire in imparting intensity it seems, Souths played like they meant it and the Dragons without Widdop made betting agencies look the shit they are. Out of all that the standout for the day was Damien Cook. Watching Cook trying to make people sit up and take notice galls me no end, I keep imagining what Bellamy could do with the bloke if Cam pulled the pin

POPEYE

Coach
Benny reckons he'd pick Croker if he was coaching the Blues, never know that might happen one day if he takes the Poms to #1, NSW Coach will be all that's left to fill his ego drum. Croker could possibly emulate Ryan Girdler given a chance, comparable stat progression and the opportunity to play with the best . . . got to give the bloke extra credit for sticking with the Raiders, a Manly/Melbourne gig would have seen him in blue

Shouldn't take long for the Sharks to realise that Maloney has to be the boss, he won't settle for anything less, like when Cronk's playing it doesn't matter who the captain is. There are going to be a few noses out of joint until the team accepts the inevitable, Ennis will have to revert from icon to follower and the young hotshots will have to learn to watch and listen

James does not suffer fools lightly, if the rest don't follow his lead he will merely do what he does best, claim the title as the best mercenary in the game and play for himself

bluey

Bench
Benny reckons he'd pick Croker if he was coaching the Blues, never know that might happen one day if he takes the Poms to #1, NSW Coach will be all that's left to fill his ego drum. Croker could possibly emulate Ryan Girdler given a chance, comparable stat progression and the opportunity to play with the best . . . got to give the bloke extra credit for sticking with the Raiders, a Manly/Melbourne gig would have seen him in blue

Shouldn't take long for the Sharks to realise that Maloney has to be the boss, he won't settle for anything less, like when Cronk's playing it doesn't matter who the captain is. There are going to be a few noses out of joint until the team accepts the inevitable, Ennis will have to revert from icon to follower and the young hotshots will have to learn to watch and listen

James does not suffer fools lightly, if the rest don't follow his lead he will merely do what he does best, claim the title as the best mercenary in the game and play for himself

Please forward this to Flano and I think you can add Gal to that list.