What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Redneck Redfaces 2

POPEYE

Coach
The reason Maloney had to go was because it was up to him, the bloke is the quintessential professional RL player, like a cat he'll never be a real pet. Interested in chequebook longevity contracts are far more important to him than clubs, I doubt he gives a f**k about loyalty, jerseys are something you wear to distinguish teams

He realises at the end of his 3650 days of worthiness most people, especially those on LU, will put aside the good memories and focus on his downturn. I like him because he owes no-one other than his family anything and I'm sure like Jason Smith he'll play the game as long as possible and with luck he'll finish his career where it started . . . at the club who does last hurrahs better than anyone

My only concern is what the bloke will do when he can't run anymore, hopefully he'll make a fine coach . . . when he finally accepts passion will have to replace whoever fills the milk bowl

POPEYE

Coach
Crikey, I was almost tempted to buy a subscription to the Telegraph when I read the juicy headline that Mudgee is going to host Country Rugby League Nines, I'll have to go for an early cup of coffee and have a look at the free newspapers

Beautiful Mudgee has as good a playing surface as any ground in Australia, a few hours from Sydney and plenty of camping areas and wineries to visit, what better way to spend a RL weekend . . . can't wait to find out the details

POPEYE

Coach
I'm on record as saying the best place for Roberts to play was the Broncos but crikey the two main powers in RL, Benny and The Media, aren't going to make the transition easy. Maybe Benny isn't losing it, maybe Roberts is so big a meathead he needs to be compared to Renouf but the pre-2000 Bennett would never have dug such a deep hole

Then again look what Benny did with Thaiday, mind games extraordinaire took Sam from shithouse to penthouse in '15 and after all the maestro coach is at ground zero. My only concern is that comparing a rough diamond to the unobtrusive Pearl is fraught with danger, the former has to be carefully shaped while the latter just rolled along nicely

Not sure what happened at Newcastle but imo Benny needs to return to the Benny of old . . . loose lips sink ships and all that mystique he was renowned for, forget the posturing

expert

Juniors
If I were coach... 2016 Raiders;

1 Sezer-Wighton-Austin
2 Waqa
3 Leilua
4 Croker
5 Wighton- Rapana- Ed Lee
6 Austin-Sezer
7 Williams-Sezer-Austin
8 Vaughan
9 Hodgson
10 Whitehead
11 Soliola
12 Papalii
13 Fensom

14 Baptiste
15 Boyd
16 Frank Paul
17 Kennedy

That leaves Ed Lee, Clydsedale, Rapana, Lima, Barnett, Brenko Lee all with NRL experience playing regees..

expert

Juniors
The reason Maloney had to go was because it was up to him, the bloke is the quintessential professional RL player, like a cat he'll never be a real pet. Interested in chequebook longevity contracts are far more important to him than clubs, I doubt he gives a f**k about loyalty, jerseys are something you wear to distinguish teams

He realises at the end of his 3650 days of worthiness most people, especially those on LU, will put aside the good memories and focus on his downturn. I like him because he owes no-one other than his family anything and I'm sure like Jason Smith he'll play the game as long as possible and with luck he'll finish his career where it started . . . at the club who does last hurrahs better than anyone

My only concern is what the bloke will do when he can't run anymore, hopefully he'll make a fine coach . . . when he finally accepts passion will have to replace whoever fills the milk bowl
Fast forwards will have the halves at 6's and 7's under the new rules, it'll get even worse in 2017. The Kassianno's and Eastwood's will struggle @ club level let alone the speed of rep footy, thought dezz was smarter than that? I guess we will wait and see.

POPEYE

Coach
If I were coach... 2016 Raiders;

1 Sezer-Wighton-Austin
2 Waqa
3 Leilua
4 Croker
5 Wighton- Rapana- Ed Lee
6 Austin-Sezer
7 Williams-Sezer-Austin
8 Vaughan
9 Hodgson
10 Whitehead
11 Soliola
12 Papalii
13 Fensom

14 Baptiste
15 Boyd
16 Frank Paul
17 Kennedy

That leaves Ed Lee, Clydsedale, Rapana, Lima, Barnett, Brenko Lee all with NRL experience playing regees..

A headline reads that Des says the Raiders will be a threat this year, methinks that revelation makes Des a bigger shit stirrer than I, every man and his dog realises the potential but it doesn't hurt if he makes it a little harder for Sticky to sleep at night. Maybe Des is contemplating a move away from the den of iniquity and is reminding Canberrans of his value

The Raiders' problem is not the roster but what Sticky does with and to it, if the team realises that he is the driver and Austin is the navigator there's no reason they can't rattle the boards this year. It's when things don't go exactly the way the sermons prophesise that Sticky's credibility suffers.

I truly want the Green Machine to succeed but great coaching revolves around the ability to counteract immediately . . . Sticky sermons > Brian Smith whiteboards. I'd like to see the smile wiped from Des's face if Sticky actually learns to coach 2/40 minute games, that is the real key to that roster

And I should add that compared to the Titans the Raiders look world beaters, another headline says that GC players are looking to Bird for leadership . . . that's like playing Russian Roulette with only one chamber empty

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
The Gold Coast are about to charge from the trenches armed with blanks. The only ray of light for them is long term, if anyone in the joint, fan, player, or staff, has the inexhaustible reserves of patience required after 5 years of shit being piled on shit for them.

Jason Maher

Immortal
As for the Raiders, Wighton will be fullback. He's either a fullback or a centre. Far too good to be wasted on the wing. Austin and Sezer will be the halves (and a bloody good halves pairing, at that), with Sam Williams as backup. Mitch Cornish must surely be sniffing for opportunities elsewhere.

They have a potentially very good pack, if Vaughan and Papalli can keep their upward trends going, Soliola can have another year like last year, and Fensom can learn to tackle himself dead without giving away a million penalties. I really like their hooker tag team too. Not sure how they managed to poach a young un' as good as Baptiste away from Brisbane, but I hope for the Raiders' sake he never gets "homesick". Hodgson is a good reminder that Sam Tomkins was the exception, not the rule, when it comes to Pommy players succeeding in the NRL.

POPEYE

Coach
Funny isn't it, as much as most of us think that Sticky is probably going to spend the season excusing inadequate performances a large proportion of us want the Raiders in the top 4 at season's end. I don't care who's responsible for it, Austin could take control on the field, injuries could treat them kindly or Sticky could surprise me . . . surely the footy gods must reward roster enterprise

POPEYE

Coach
Jack's wife Judy is gone, great story in the SMH about the pair of characters who lived their lives for each other, their family and the game. That the story of their companionship is newsworthy still says it all, I'm glad I didn't miss the Gibson episode that was free to air

When I see all the latest list of great players in teams concocted by the current newest generation of RL supporters I have a laugh how they comment on who was better when they haven't actually seen all the competitors . . . not a facetious laugh just a giggle at human nature

For instance, the first player I'd pick in a team from all players that I can remember watching would be Mick Cronin. Helps that I reckon if he was transported to '16 he'd adapt easily and step up as many of the past greats would but that's not the reason he'd be in my team. My team would be comprised of players that get the job handed to them done with a minimum of fuss and shy away from the accolades

Gibson is my avatar for the same reason, the pity will be that like all the great players over the years that have been seen by fewer and fewer people who make 'comparisons' is that soc's like me are the more fortunate. RL is a game for players who can give no better than what's asked of them with the opportunities offered at the time . . . comparisons of efforts are childishly futile

POPEYE

Coach
Surviving another year is the only resolution I should concern myself with when the great Bowie was only a couple of months older but I'm also going to try and avoid raving on about how much I detest Origin's affect on the important part of the season. I will try and look for the few positives while waiting for the State games to be positioned where they cause the least damage . . . bit like waiting for Klein to lose his whistle inside the 20

An obvious positive among the few is applauding the listing of emerging Origin players, these players will be spurred on to do their best in Shield games pre-Origin while established players will again be saving themselves as much as possible

EO players like Munster and Grevsmuhl, any that are still flying under the radar of most supporters, will be enthused almost beyond imagination at their names being included. Some of the EO players are there because it's taken for granted they should be but if we have them all playing out of their skins before Origin at least the first half of the season has something to look forward to

I would prefer Origin took place after the cup was decided, that way every NRL player, old and new, would have to prove his worthiness and fitness to play in the greatest 3 games of RL by surviving the scrutiny of the full NRL season. Won't happen as long as the media runs the game but no more whinging from me . . . not a promise, just a resolution

POPEYE

Coach
NRL'S big chance has come but it will most certainly evaporate just as quickly, just as the Sharks should have relocated to the Central Coast when the opportunity was made attractive so should the Seagles now.

Not too late to upstage the Roosters and claim the joint, the Seagles have never really been a 'Sydney' team anyway, they are one of the teams with far more supporters outside their sphere of influence . . . many would think the manly ferry a prostitute's pimp and even envisage Brookie a classy venue

If the NRL threw some of it's bragged about big dollars to help make Bluetongue the Seagles' home ground everyone would be a winner, except of course the few administrators with a personal agenda.

Hardly a weekend away trying to find Manly whereas a trip to Gosford would attract many countrysiders, the crowds would probably be larger but most importantly the Seagles would help RL become Nationalised

BuffaloRules

Coach
Warringah Council won't even be around anymore when Baird forces through the council mergers.

Storm in a teacup - maybe Manly Council might even find a few bucks to put into the dump of a ground when they take over.

POPEYE

Coach
Warringah Council won't even be around anymore when Baird forces through the council mergers.

Storm in a teacup - maybe Manly Council might even find a few bucks to put into the dump of a ground when they take over.

How many Seagle supporters Australia wide would know or care who administers Brookvale Oval, probably less than the number of RL supporters who realise the Rabbitohs' Leagues Club is closer to Sydney Town Hall than the Sydney Roosters' LC

Where I come from kids who are encouraged by their fathers to follow the Sea Eagles don't go to bed dreaming about Brookie or Pittwater Rd and Bulldog supporters are here because the last place they'd want their kids to live is f**king SWS

We need a poll of all RL supporters, see how many follow the colours not the location, fmd, even 1% MC's know the value of spreading their logo. Be interesting to find out how many Seagle supporters would dump the club if they moved to Bluetongue compared to the number gained

POPEYE

Coach
There you go, Mary thinks he's going to become a supercoach just as most of us hope he will, he realises players shouldn't be looking over their shoulders trying to find their Captain. He knows Dugan is not as good a Fullback as Centre and he shaves his noggin because he doesn't like bigheads

Not rocket science, seriously who wins the majority of games with their Captain yelling from the sideline. Are there stats that show how many 'Premiers' have had part time Captains. Then again, how many players listen to their Captains. Methinks most NRL standard players think they know what they have to do but they do it better if their Captain leads by example . . . 80 minutes of it

Look at Melbourne, if Smith was only a part time #9 like the majority of them would it really matter, we all know Cronk calls the shots and even Qld can't win without him. What matters is that Qld would lose more without Smith because his fellow players know they have to keep up with him, not listen for him

JJ

Immortal
For instance, the first player I'd pick in a team from all players that I can remember watching would be Mick Cronin. Helps that I reckon if he was transported to '16 he'd adapt easily and step up as many of the past greats would but that's not the reason he'd be in my team. My team would be comprised of players that get the job handed to them done with a minimum of fuss and shy away from the accolades

Only seen Cronin on highlights and read about him - but I agree, an awful lot to like...

POPEYE

Coach
That's it then, we can scrap the salary cap, players are actually choosing to play with the team it was designed to protect so there's no longer a need. Trouble is, as with Mick Cronin, most people have not only forgotten but will never know what is best for the game.

C'mon fess up, who remembers when Manly bought cups and Cronulla drank from cupped hands, has the game's professionalism finally created enough talent to fill all the teams, does it matter where Sonny or Jarryd go. My bet is it won't make much difference that Sammy B is back if the Rabbitohs slacken on the basics again

Enough talent to piss off the cap and enough money to buy the right coaches to produce more with help to keep it, that's what we need. Pity, seems the powers that be are more concerned with the new Cronulla on the Gold Coast. The NRL has created a Mummy while attempting to fix a snake bite . . . time to cap off a poisoned well

Latest posts