What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reds opening night- fans views?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The game aside what was everyones opinions of last nights opener? I have a season ticket but wasn't overly happy with our seats. They are right on the 50 but one of them has a stairwell wall in front of it meaning if you are over 4ft tall it is very uncomfortable. May see if I can change but the main stand seemed pretty full.

Love the look of the new Reds jackets but disappointed there was no actual merchandise for sale. Surely some stubby holders etc could have been availble and not having the shirts, jackets, etc for sale is a costly mistake imo.

Thought the game under lights worked well but I would like to see an earlier kick off. It was gone 10pm when we got out last night and that is too late for many families with little ones. a 6.30 or 7pm kick off would encourage more families i reckon.

Part of the founder membership suggested there was going to be a special club for founders members but I saw no sign of any exclusive areas, anyone else?

Thought the dancers and music were good, not too over the top and the crowd atmosphere was great. Good to see the team getting a standing ovation at the end and return the applause to the crowd.

All in all a very enjoyable night and barring one or two niggles a great start. Roll on two weeks time!

joondalup_giant

Staff member
also pretty disappointing there was nothing in the sunday times 2day about the game, thought that was really strange!?

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah there is: In that Main Game section. Top of the page. Colour photo and all!
Perhaps you have an early edition of the newspaper, Joondalup_Giant?

There was also a merchandise stall in that hallway thing (outside the WARL office). They didn't actually sell merchandise there (over the counter I mean), but they take orders. My WA Reds jersey I ordered at the first trial match apparently comes this week (or was it before the next game? I can't remember).

As for seating, I bought the cheapest membership possible. I decided that since I would be going with people who aren't members (footy teammates, mates, family, ect), there was no point in getting seats in the stand. This way I can sit with people I know. I don't care about shelter from the elements, so that wasn't an issue.

Alehana

Juniors
how much is membership and where can ppl get it from? i hear u get a jacket or something

Nuke

Staff member
Don't think so. I never heard anything about one. Memberships can be bought either at the games (next one in two weeks today ... I think it's a Sunday arvo game), or online from the WARL website (www.warugbyleague.com.au).

Last year, Foundation Members got a polo shirt and a cap.

Nuke

Staff member
Kinda. I signed up and paid up thinking it was an early-bird version of this year's membership. By that I mean, last year I thought I was paying to be a member this year (get into games having already paid, ect). Turned out that for the $250 (or whatever it was ... it was a lot), all you got was a polo, hat, entry into WARL Grand Final day, invitation for the WA Reds open day, and a discount on this season's membership. This burnt quite a few people I think ... I was nearly one of them. Membership this year was cheaper, but gets you into their home games.

I don't think you can join the foundation membership now anyway, but even if you could, I wouldn't suggest it. You could just get this year's membership, and buy a similar polo and cap. Incidentally, those polos and caps do look good.

Alehana

Juniors
Kinda. I signed up and paid up thinking it was an early-bird version of this year's membership. By that I mean, last year I thought I was paying to be a member this year (get into games having already paid, ect). Turned out that for the $250 (or whatever it was ... it was a lot), all you got was a polo, hat, entry into WARL Grand Final day, invitation for the WA Reds open day, and a discount on this season's membership. This burnt quite a few people I think ... I was nearly one of them. Membership this year was cheaper, but gets you into their home games.

I don't think you can join the foundation membership now anyway, but even if you could, I wouldn't suggest it. You could just get this year's membership, and buy a similar polo and cap. Incidentally, those polos and caps do look good.

Damn, i was hoping i could be one, get into that exclusive club, i joined WF so i could be a foundy, so far nothing which is dissapointing. Yeh i defs consider being member, i reckon leagues just aobut to take of here in west.

b0rt

Juniors
There was also a merchandise stall in that hallway thing (outside the WARL office). They didn't actually sell merchandise there (over the counter I mean), but they take orders. My WA Reds jersey I ordered at the first trial match apparently comes this week (or was it before the next game? I can't remember).

most of these issue are not the WARL but the suppliers. the reds only got their away strip 2 weeks ago and only 2/4 colts teams have their uniforms ordered in early january
it is disappointing but, i could go a polo

Nuke

Staff member
Yeah, sorry, I realise that. Didn't mean to sound like a go at the WARL or WA Reds or anyone. I was just saying that you can't buy jerseys at the game like you can at NRL games. Instead, you order them and they come later.

b0rt

Juniors
yer just making sure everyone realises this isnt really the WARLs fault. if they could get them, they would sell them at the games. whoever the supplier is sucks.

Suppliers delivering late is nothing new. Ask any club, whether in NSW, Qld or elsewhere. You pretty much have to order before Xmas, which is a P in the A if you're still chasing sponsors, and even then there is still no gaurantee you'll get them in time for the pre-season games.

Nuke

Staff member
whoever the supplier is sucks.
I would've thought that the supplier was Kombat, as they are the WARL supplier, but I saw a 'Shark Sportswear' logo on the Reds shorts, plus signage up at the game, so I'd actually guess it's them instead.

Alehana

Juniors
It's a pity these articles about the Reds don't ever seem to make the online versions, either on TheWest or PerthNow...

Yeh agreed
In the west and stuff( newspapers) we' r lucky to get (EXTREMELY) 1 page of news, usually its a small column on the last page of sport, its dominated by horses (groan) and afl (groan even more), theres usually one article on rugby if the force are playing. but other that that its like afl
MONDAY: "WEEKEND ACTION"
TUES: "TEAMS"
WEDNESDAY: "PRE-GAME"
THURSDAY: "MAIN GAME"
FRIDAY: "MATCH DAY GUIDE"
SATURDAY: "FRIDAY NIGHT ACTION"
SUNDAY: "SATURDAY ACTION"

you get the point and these are all liftouts, so theres like 10 pages for each day all on afl.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't blame them, when the NRL shows an interest in the West I am sure the papers will show an interest back.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No like when we have a team! The Reds of old used to get plenty of coverage and the coverage has got alot better in recent times but with all the sports played at the top level in Perth you can't blame the papers for not focussing on RL when we don't have a top team.

Alehana

Juniors
oh yeah true 4 sure, i can understand cause they need to get $ and all they'd only write about stuff that would sell money, i was just looking at it from a equality view, like if profit wasn't their only drive i'd like to hope they'd write about more stuff than afl.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Totally agree and I have sent plenty of letters to the sports editor asking for more RL but at least we now get the Reds game write up, the results of the WARL and a little bit about the NRL. A couple of years ago we got nothing except when a RL player was drunk or arrested! Send an email re no coverage on the websites. I ahve and if they get a few they may do something.