What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referee talk 2013

RufusRex

Post Whore
Unbiased Dragons fan here (i hate Roosters/Rabbits equally) ..

I thought the on-field refs had pretty good games last night ... Some good decisions on the run ie Friend Offside, Obstruction call on Jennings break.

Also thought the lack of fuss on the Tuivasa Sheck no try was good ... a couple of looks and a quick confirmation of the no-try ...

All in all a positive start for the new interpretations. Hope it is consistent.

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
I thought they had a good game. The Roosters were undisciplined, and that is the sole reason for the lop sided penalty count. All in all, I didn't notice the refs too much, which is a definite positive.

However I thought that Ben Lowe was offside when Jake Friend knocked the ball dead off the Adam Reynolds kick... Maybe I'm not interpreting the rule correctly, but I was surprised that it wasn't a Roosters penalty. And that's as a Souths fan

The most odd call was when Burgess knocked on and when he protested against rhe knock-on call Cummins said "it would have been obstruction anyway". SO why wasn't it a penalty then? If there was an obstruction before the knock-on, and I agree that there was, it had to be a penalty. Okay, it didn't matter much but still.

Paullyboy

Coach
Yeah I thought that was a mini stuff up too, obviously didn't matter, but the difference between a scrum and a penalty is quite significant.

Agree with the earlier point about how refreshing it was to see them not waste time on the clear no try to RTS. I still remember one of the 'highlight' tries to barba last year where he clearly dropped the ball near the dead ball line yet it was allowed - that was an embarrassing decision for rugby league.

firechild

First Grade
However I thought that Ben Lowe was offside when Jake Friend knocked the ball dead off the Adam Reynolds kick... Maybe I'm not interpreting the rule correctly, but I was surprised that it wasn't a Roosters penalty. And that's as a Souths fan

I mentioned that one in the Reynolds thread, couldn't believe the video ref didn't pick that one up. Apart from that though I thought the game flowed well and the refs did a pretty good job.

Vic Mackey

Referee
My main concern was that there would have been 10-15 forward passes from dummyhalf let go, it was very much for both teams though and didn't favour anyone. I said in another thread friend and luke (along with smith) are generally the worst of the 9s at it. I hope it's not a sign that this wont be policed in 2013, don't what the touchies were doing.

Slackboy72

Coach
I thought they were pretty one-sided last night.
The most perplexing call of the night is why two easts players contesting a kick werer taken out by inglis but because the ball touched his hand it was play on.
The rules state that because he wasn't in posession of the ball that that is obstruction.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I mentioned that one in the Reynolds thread, couldn't believe the video ref didn't pick that one up. Apart from that though I thought the game flowed well and the refs did a pretty good job.

Reynolds ran him onside I think. That's why it wasn't offside.

Danish

Referee
I thought they had a pretty good game, although there were a few crucial calls that really would have evened up the penalty count.

1) Ben Lowe offside from Reynolds kick. Ruled goal line drop out. Pretty sure souths scored off the ensuing set too?

2) Crocker knock on that was ruled a strip or holding down. Just dropped it cold, although Friend was perhaps holding him down when it was dropped. Souths scored from this too.

3) Inglis taking out SKD and RTS. Made very little attempt for the ball and every attempt just to shove his hulking frame into the mix, was basically an AFL-style spoil play which is illegal in our game. And wouldn't you know it, another souths try off the back of it.

So three 50/50 calls which could have gone either way, however having said that I think that the deserving team won on the night anyway so I'm not that worried about it.

The only true glaring stuff up was when an offside souths forward intercepted a pass from Tupou after a 20m restart, and the main ref didn't notice it. Cummins managed to pick it up late though and the correct decision was made in the end.

Hanscholo

Bench
Unbiased Dragons fan here (i hate Roosters/Rabbits equally) ..

I thought the on-field refs had pretty good games last night ... Some good decisions on the run ie Friend Offside, Obstruction call on Jennings break.

Also thought the lack of fuss on the Tuivasa Sheck no try was good ... a couple of looks and a quick confirmation of the no-try ...

All in all a positive start for the new interpretations. Hope it is consistent.

And then they had to ruin it all by saying something stupid like Sam Burgess shoulder charged Pearce. If that is the standard we will see all season, its going to be a long one.

Frailty

First Grade
And then they had to ruin it all by saying something stupid like Sam Burgess shoulder charged Pearce. If that is the standard we will see all season, its going to be a long one.

It wasn't a penalty for a shoulder charge... It was a penalty for a high tackle.

Frailty

First Grade
I thought they had a pretty good game, although there were a few crucial calls that really would have evened up the penalty count.

1) Ben Lowe offside from Reynolds kick. Ruled goal line drop out. Pretty sure souths scored off the ensuing set too?

Reynolds ran Lowe onside.

2) Crocker knock on that was ruled a strip or holding down. Just dropped it cold, although Friend was perhaps holding him down when it was dropped. Souths scored from this too.

Pretty sure penalty was for the holding down - or at least it should have been.

3) Inglis taking out SKD and RTS. Made very little attempt for the ball and every attempt just to shove his hulking frame into the mix, was basically an AFL-style spoil play which is illegal in our game. And wouldn't you know it, another souths try off the back of it.

Inglis was contesting the ball. His eyes were in the ball and he got the first touch on the ball. It was not a play to take out the players.

So three 50/50 calls which could have gone either way, however having said that I think that the deserving team won on the night anyway so I'm not that worried about it.

This is the main thing... Ultimately, it didn't decide the game.

Canard

Immortal
I liked the whole "video" ref change thing also, the ref making a call straight away seemed to take a lot of the "heat" out of any situation on field.

Parra

Referee
The decisive calls were good. Particularly calling knock-ons for dropped balls. A few examples from last night would have been stripping penalties in the past.

Godz Illa

Coach
The Beau Champion dive just before half time. The video ref made a call on it. It wasn't a reportable offence imo (surprise surprise - no charge by the MRC) therefore no penalty. Souths scored in the ensuing sets to take that big lead into halftime. Bad call.

Beau Champion is a wanker.

Rosetta

Juniors
The on-field refereeing was more of the same, blew way too many pedantic penalties after letting the players just play football for the first 20 odd minutes and it was appearing a very even contest. Marker penalties are a snooze, you rarely see a player play the ball on the mark any more but they never get penalised so markers should receive the same leniency, it's pedantic, boring rubbish. Neither of the stripping penalties were strips, just cold drops, there was also a penalty for holding the ball which was clearly the player in possession pinning the arm of the defender between his arm and the ball. Ever since the two referee system came in the ruck has become far too skewed to the team in possession IMO, I would like to see the whistles put away unless it's a clear and blatant disregard for the rules.

The video referee changes on ruling of tries is fantastic, excellent system there.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
The on-field refereeing was more of the same, b

you must have been watching a different game to everyone else. the refs were 100 times better than the crap dished up last year. yes there were a few little incident which could have been interpreted in a different way but they got most things correct and didnt become the main focus of the game

Rosetta

Juniors
14 penalties in a match makes them a focus, especially when they are all within the final 60 minutes, just put them whistles away boys.

Harrigan on Triple M after the game said the on-field refereeing was near identical (said Chris James was running a 12m defensive line whilst Cummins was spot on 10 which is another gripe I have with the 2 referee system) but the video referee changes by Anderson impressed him, that's pretty much how I saw it as well.

Latest posts