What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referee talk 2013

ek999

First Grade
14 penalties in a match makes them a focus, especially when they are all within the final 60 minutes, just put them whistles away boys.

Harrigan on Triple M after the game said the on-field refereeing was near identical (said Chris James was running a 12m defensive line whilst Cummins was spot on 10 which is another gripe I have with the 2 referee system) but the video referee changes by Anderson impressed him, that's pretty much how I saw it as well.

I didn't have a problem with the penalty count. It's not the ref's fault if a team is ill-disciplined. The only one I didn't like was the Jennings high tackle. His head dropped down pretty quickly and there was nothing Jennings could do. It was as accidental as the elbow to Reynolds off the kick. Forward pass by SBW should have been a penalty though.

Agree with 10m though. It should be one ref who controls the whole game with the other ref supporting. Would get of the different interpretations due to changes of who is in control

Last edited:

Fire

First Grade
I don't understand why when Inglis was tackled in goal it was a penalty.

That guy is a protected species.

off-topic: then they give him MotM over Merritt lol.

Anyways, going off the Charity Shield and last night, the refs will be helping souffs, a lot, this year.

ek999

First Grade
I don't understand why when Inglis was tackled in goal it was a penalty.

That guy is a protected species.

off-topic: then they give him MotM over Merritt lol.

Anyways, going off the Charity Shield and last night, the refs will be helping souffs, a lot, this year.

Friend (I think it was) was offside when the kick was made and then within 10m when Inglis picked up the ball so it was a fair penalty

Fire

First Grade
Friend (I think it was) was offside when the kick was made and then within 10m when Inglis picked up the ball so it was a fair penalty

Thanks. I didn't know Friend was off-side. Makes sense now.

gronkathon

First Grade
Pretty good first up display.

Still not sold on the Inglis in the air challenge but if it is consistent then all good.

I expect that kind of penalty count early in the season.

My only concern is the Moa style PTB's being allowed to roll or being inconsistent in adjudication.

Good start though

Canard

Immortal
Marker penalties are a snooze, you rarely see a player play the ball on the mark any more

Thats more a ruling thing than a refereeing error.

A few years ago now they decided that if someone walks off the mark, then they get "penalised" by reducing the 10m.

It can be changed back to the old way if there is a desire for it, but I reckon its a good ruling and reduces the amount of penalties in match.

SharkShocked

Bench
Was at the game as a neutral fan.

Thing that pissed me off the most was the ridiculous amount of time waiting for play to be resumed when they were strapping reynolds up.

Even waiting for a trainer to run up the tunnel and get him a fresh jersey... fmd

Danish

Referee
Thats more a ruling thing than a refereeing error.

A few years ago now they decided that if someone walks off the mark, then they get "penalised" by reducing the 10m.

It can be changed back to the old way if there is a desire for it, but I reckon its a good ruling and reduces the amount of penalties in match.

But it also gives a drastically unfair advantage to the attacking side by allowing them to simply gain an easy 7-8m by taking the markers out of play as they are "not square", despite the fact they are only in such a position because the ball player walked off the mark.

I'd be much happier if they just allowed markers to stand next to each other instead of in line. Would remove a whole bunch of grey area from the ruck, and also get rid of boring dummy half runs and walking off the mark etc because it would eliminate the advantage those things gain.

thorson1987

Coach

This.

The funny thing is is you could see he was going to stay back the 10, then the ball bounced sideways and he had a little bit of a brain explosion.

saint pebba

First Grade
how did Reynolds run Lowe onside? Lowe was in front of him.

Yes but before Lowe got involved Reynolds had run past him which got him back onside. This was the difference between that incident and the jake friend one as Pearce never managed to run past friend to put him onside.

thorson1987

Coach
so if the kicker runs past an offside player they then become onside? never knew that was a rule

Really, it's been a rule ever since I can remember.

Although some one said after a storm game last year I think it was that because the offside player was always inside the 10 that he couldn't be run onside so therefore it should be a penalty.

I don't think it works that way, just what was said.

Cryptic

Juniors
Honestly can we just get them sacked already? They don't appear to know most of the rules... I understand, new rules, etc. but it's their f**king job to know them.... How can they constantly get away with f**king it up, not due to their call being shit but just getting stuff WRONG and still have a job... Anyone else f**ks up that often and much they get the sack, refs have 10000 lives...

I'm not even a fan of the two teams currently playing but it's just ANNOYING that they get shit wrong constantly in the first round of the year.

Cryptic

Juniors
Honestly you think it's OK that they appear to be constantly immune to ANY actions against them? It's like they are a protected species... No other job can you f**k up so much, your boss even comes out and says "yeah they f**ked up" and their "penalty" is not even a slap on the wrist.... If we want the NRL to be a professional sport then we MUST improve the refs and their training 100 times over...