What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refereeing was appalling

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
so no one should support the player with the ball just in case they get in the way of an opposition chaser? what a great game that would be.

anyway i go the bit about not being able to obstruct a player if they are coming from behind you from here -

http://www.arldevelopment.com.au/fi...s/ARL_International_Laws_of_the_Game_2008.pdf

on page 39 -

What about from the side? That's where Heremaia came from. That would be identical to a player sliding in defence being taken out or impeded by a dummy runner. No try.

FYI, not a whinge. I agree we were the 2nd best side. Just wonder how it would've gone with things being different refereeing-wise.

Danny-Boy

Juniors
Oh f**k me, I can't believe the warriors supporters have stooped so low. Blaming the loss on minor incidents, f**k me unbelievable! Grow a pair and cop the loss on the chin. The better team won on the day. The biggest rort was the hoppa and foran no tries. Hoppa was benefit of the doubt at worst, but the foran no try was a real beauty. A real work of art. How they came up with a no try should be the conspiracy theory of the game.

M2D2

Bench
Oh f**k me, I can't believe the warriors supporters have stooped so low. Blaming the loss on minor incidents, f**k me unbelievable! Grow a pair and cop the loss on the chin. The better team won on the day. The biggest rort was the hoppa and foran no tries. Hoppa was benefit of the doubt at worst, but the foran no try was a real beauty. A real work of art. How they came up with a no try should be the conspiracy theory of the game.
:lol::lol::lol:
POST OF THE YEAR!

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Read the game-day thread. It is full of neutrals doing the same thing.

Minor incidents, righto. Incidents in the lead-up to tries - which lets remember, are worth points...which win games.. - are minor. Mmmmhmmm.

You'll struggle to find a Warriors supporter who doesn't admit we were the second best side. Read our forum. Same with the Foran try, no one sees how that wasn't given.

The Hopoate try was a clear no-try, not sure why you jibbered that one in. Guess it shows how much credence that little diatribe is worth.

joseph1

Juniors
Sure the best side won. But thats missing the point here. Regardless of team - we have to agree that the refereeing for a grand final was poor. GF and Origin refereeing should have no influence on the result in any way. The mere fact that some are arguing for this point, suggests that the refereeing was not up to scratch and so the nrl should take some action to put it right for next season. We cant lower ourselves to accept mediocrity guys! The standard of refereeing nrl-wide has plummeted in recent years and Sunday's game was no exception. Something needs to be done!

(seriously - what game are they watching for two on field officials to miss a sideways play of the ball???! Surely thats refereeing bread and butter.. Are they even watching the play of the ball? As Gus Gould said: "how do they miss that!?")

(Fact: - Warriors winning % under Archer is about 15% worse than it is overall - just saying)

super_coach

First Grade
To be honest I think if the refs had actually kept the teams apart and let them play football we would have got a far better game and manly still would have won and probably won well.

The bottom line they got most things wrong and were very average, but as I said before, Harrigan will talk them up and their lays the problem--Bill Harrigan

StFigJam

Juniors
They have to to a system that in the GF if an offence is bad enough you get sent off. There should be no putting players on report. What's stopping a player from taking out someone with a high shot who is crucial to oppositions team? So what I get put on report and it gets dealt with after the GF? Who cares I just got myself and my team a premiership.

firechild

First Grade
They have to to a system that in the GF if an offence is bad enough you get sent off. There should be no putting players on report. What's stopping a player from taking out someone with a high shot who is crucial to oppositions team? So what I get put on report and it gets dealt with after the GF? Who cares I just got myself and my team a premiership.

There is nothing stopping it yet it just doesn't happen. That suggests that no system to counter that potential problem needs to be introduced.

DJShaksta

First Grade
There is nothing stopping it yet it just doesn't happen. That suggests that no system to counter that potential problem needs to be introduced.

This.
Refs just need to have a set of balls big enough to make the big calls.

Harrigan used to.

The_Rogue

Juniors
Geezus, you people really need to read the obstruction rule. Call me crazy but the rules should certainly be the basis on which you form an opinion.

franklin2323

Immortal

I am a neutral. In close games they make the difference. It was 2-0 when that Watmough play the ball happened. On the back of a penalty Stewart scores. NZ might not of scored with the ball I would of been fine with that but it should of been their ball none the less

firechild

First Grade
Lyon's pass that would have put Hopoate in down the right hand side was also nowhere near forward. At the game I didn't think it was but I was hardly in a position to judge. Watching the replay it was a terrible call.

With regard to Danny-boy's comments about Warriors fans, I don't think it is the Warriors fans at all. The fans have been pretty gracious in defeat, it is the "neutral" fans that are just upset that Manly didn't lose.

Brutus

Referee
Please somebody put the shonky Watmough play-the-ball from the GF up on youtube.

It was one of the worst play-the-ball's ever.

It was Robin Thorne and Martin Bella-esque

Made even funnier by the fact it was let go by the refs.

It would serve as great comedy relief for many people if somebody could put it up on youtube.

I'd be forever grateful.

Last edited:
The only gripe I had with the refs was that they were not policing the 10 metre rule either side of the play the ball.

I also don't agree with players being held on the ground longer in a final which appeared to happen a lot when in a normal round game they would gte pinged for it.

2010Dragons

Bench
From NRL.COM
Tony Archer and Matt Cecchin.
It is a horribly hard job, refereeing – but their first-half performance had a clear influence on the game. While Manly fans will point to a dubious lost ball call against Matai, the Warriors were clearly disadvantaged on numerous occasions, including: first Krisnan Inu, then Shaun Johnson taken out when chasing kicks; Anthony Watmough's bizarre east-west play the ball late in the first half; and Daly Cherry-Evans clearly obstructing the tackler one play before he scored a try on the stroke of half-time.

firechild

First Grade
From NRL.COM
Tony Archer and Matt Cecchin.
It is a horribly hard job, refereeing – but their first-half performance had a clear influence on the game. While Manly fans will point to a dubious lost ball call against Matai, the Warriors were clearly disadvantaged on numerous occasions, including: first Krisnan Inu, then Shaun Johnson taken out when chasing kicks; Anthony Watmough's bizarre east-west play the ball late in the first half; and Daly Cherry-Evans clearly obstructing the tackler one play before he scored a try on the stroke of half-time.

Then it appears that even the officials are unaware of the rules. As Slackboy72 posted earlier:

In regards to a player on the attacking side not in possession (s15 p39 of 2010 Laws):
He must give ‘right of way’ to opponents who are running across in front of him to tackle player 5 (player in possession) but is not guilty of obstructing opponents who are coming from behind him.

Don't let the rule book get in the way of a good whinge though.

2010Dragons

Bench
Then it appears that even the officials are unaware of the rules. As Slackboy72 posted earlier:

Don't let the rule book get in the way of a good whinge though.

My only grip is the Watmough play the ball facing the side line. It's black and white rule
All other teams get penalised for this type of error but Manly get away with it.
The Dragons got penalise in a game against Parra and denied a field goal which would have won the game.

The obstruction rule is based on interpretation of the rules. Every referee has a different interpretation.... grey rule.

Consistence is all I ask....is that too much to ask for?

firechild

First Grade
All other teams get penalised for this type of error but Manly get away with it.

I've seen teams get penalised for less and I've also seen teams not get penalised for similar. You seem to be implying that Manly are the only ones getting away with it. We all know that referees are more lenient in grand finals (not that they should be) and this was just another example. Players from both sides were spending far too much time slowing down the play the ball. It was just as obvious as the Watmough error but there are few complaints about it because they are not considered to be anomolies. I'm not defending the decision, it certainly should have been a penalty but so should many other things that were not penalised.