1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Tiger5150, Aug 16, 2019.

1. GreenMachine121

GreenMachine121 Bench

Because Henry is a f**king ding bat .... and blew his whistle early ... just like he did 5 other times tonight and he was wrong .... worst ref ever

Last Week likes this.
  2. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

No, see, what people actually want is vaguely competent referees....

Eelementary and Meth like this.
  3. Vee

Vee Bench

He made a mistake. His bigger mistake was not saying to the whinging little bitch, "I made a mistake. Just like when you guys drop a ball or miss a tackle."

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  4. Meth

Meth Moderator Staff Member

It's pretty simple. He blew the whistle. The Captain's Challenge was never vying for a try. As soon as he blew the whistle, the play is stopped.

Bad call? Yep.

Difficult to understand? No.

Just a straight up and down case of a legitimate pass being ruled forward. That happens a lot and vice versa.

5. Meth

Meth Moderator Staff Member

Lovely tip on from Gutherson though.

6. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

I think in the off season we need to change the play the ball rule so that the ball can just be rolled between the legs. In one of the sets I saw last night I saw a player actually play it according to the rules the fool. He looked foolish. I just shook my head with embarrassment.
    The rule should at least be clearly stated as "do what evs".

7. no name

no name Coach

I agree that once the whistle blew, it was never going to be a try.
    But since when is a pass allowed to be challenged? A tip on is definitely a pass.

8. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita First Grade

If I was a parra fan I’d be blowing up at the decision but...

as a neutral / unbiased.. the bloke made a call, it was challenged, overturned, he apologises and the rules of the game were followed. This, at a stage when the Eels had the game won.

I don’t see the huge attention this is getting apart from the fact everyone likes to latch onto controversy these days and bark at the moon til they are blue in the face.

Everyone saw it from the angle of the TV cameras - the best view over the ground - on their lounges except the bloke with the whistle, ground level, in amongst players, running around trying to manage the field of play on his own. Another bit of proof to me that 2 refs are better than 1. Let one ref take care of the defence/10m while the other the ruck n general play.

Eelementary likes this.
  9. no name

no name Coach

My biggest gripe is that he allowed a pass to be challenged.
    We see passes incorrectly ruled forward/not forward all the time, so whilst not ideal, completely understandable.
    He just doubled down with allowing the review.

10. Bring back John Fifita

Bring back John Fifita First Grade

he genuinely thought is was a knock on. Which can be reviewed. We all saw it as a pass... highly unusual and skilful but I can see why he thought it was a knock on at ground level in traffic.

All I think this is is bringing out a potential loophole - what is the difference between a forward pass and a knock on - especially when only one hand is used as a “tip-on”...

I’m backing the ref here.

11. gerg

gerg Juniors

Hilarious last night. When Fifita did his knee Gus is "when I first saw these tackles around the knees I went straight to the referees boss and told him he has to put a stop to it... now ...before it gets out of control." He repeated himself several times like any old drunk at a bar would do.

Nek minit.. Paulo gets binned.... "oh that's ridiculous.... what is Paulo meant to do in that situation" and then bringing it up for the next 30 minutes.

Apey and T-Boon like this.
  12. Delboy

Delboy First Grade

Actually BA in the after match presser said exactly that, Henry made an error and apologised. That’s fine, players make mistakes too, no issue from me.

Vee likes this.
  13. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

It's not actually.

14. no name

no name Coach

Well it is.
    Intentionally transferring the ball via the hand/s is a pass.

15. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

So how come you're calling it a tip on and not a pass? It's not a pass, it's batting the ball off your hand to another player

A bat back off a bomb is also a pass using that logic and therefore cannot be ruled forward but the VR. "INTENTIONALLY TRANSFERRING THE BALL VIA THE HAND(S) IS A PASS"

16. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

What is it then?

17. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

It's a tap on. Momentum is not taken into account as it is with a pass. You don't look at the hands to see whether it was passed forward. Completely different animal. I thought everyone knew that.

18. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

it is a tip on pass (TOP).

19. siv

siv Bench

Interesting that the old rule used to be a drop out from the 22y yard line if you missed a fieldgoal

20. gerg

gerg Juniors

Aloiai catches the ball directly behind the blocker. Bunker - he catches it just outside the inside shoulder, try.