What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

Frailty

First Grade
You’ve always been allowed to run behind a player as long as they aren’t in the defensive line or impeding a player . You can’t catch a ball behind a player or run from one side of a player to the other . Pretty sure people who whinge about this need to learn the rules

upload_2020-9-8_15-55-18.png
Ponga catches the ball on right hand side of decoy runner (I think it's Klemmer).

upload_2020-9-8_15-56-35.png
He then proceeds to run behind Mann which prevent Uele to move up to defend. This forces Uele to only slide whilst the other Sharks defender moves up. Ponga then exploits this gap created.

It didn't cost the Sharks the game, they were awful and never deserved to win. I'm not even that opposed for these tries to be disallowed, but to maintain consistency, it needed to be penalised.

Quicksilver

Bench
I thought the same thing at the time. I was surprised it was totally ignored given some that have been pulled up this year.

I’m happy with it being a try, I’m unhappy with others being pulled up.

peter file

Juniors
I'm amazed at the refs who are running the touchlines can pick up marginal forward passes that are two metres less forward than what they see when they are the centre ref.

T-Boon

Coach
I thought the same thing at the time. I was surprised it was totally ignored given some that have been pulled up this year.

I’m happy with it being a try, I’m unhappy with others being pulled up.

We are better off going to 11 aside than allowing obstructions to become the normal way of making a break. The rule against obstruction is more part of the fabric of the game than 13 players per side.

Volcom6685

Juniors
They weren’t impeded. They were both easily able to make the tackle . But went to grab his neck
View attachment 41791
Ponga catches the ball on right hand side of decoy runner (I think it's Klemmer).

View attachment 41792
He then proceeds to run behind Mann which prevent Uele to move up to defend. This forces Uele to only slide whilst the other Sharks defender moves up. Ponga then exploits this gap created.

It didn't cost the Sharks the game, they were awful and never deserved to win. I'm not even that opposed for these tries to be disallowed, but to maintain
View attachment 41791

View attachment 41792

It didn't cost the Sharks the game, they were awful and never deserved to win. I'm not even that opposed for these tries to be disallowed, but to maintain consistency, it needed to be penalised.

no name

Coach
They weren’t impeded. They were both easily able to make the tackle . But went to grab his neck
Uele positions himself where he is because he knows that Ponga isn’t supposed to go outside of the line Klemmer ran.
Teams/players shouldn’t get rewarded for f**king up in running their line.

dogslife

Coach
4fa2e7.jpg

siv

First Grade
Human error continues to increase as we revert to one official

Other concern is that referees are coached to know their penalty counts. Rather than referee whats in front of them at any stage in the game.

Human error continues to increase as we revert to one official

Other concern is that referees are coached to know their penalty counts. Rather than referee whats in front of them at any stage in the game.

Yep. This is where referees, touch judges and the NRL itself are on a hiding to nothing. People (especially the media) were complaining about over reliance on the video referee or them intervening inconsistently. People wanted its usage reduced and for the on field officials to back their judgement.

Now, when a mistake happens, the media are blowing up about how this got missed and why wasn't the video referee used. Talk about a no win scenario let alone hypocrisy.

gerg

Juniors
Yep. This is where referees, touch judges and the NRL itself are on a hiding to nothing. People (especially the media) were complaining about over reliance on the video referee or them intervening inconsistently. People wanted its usage reduced and for the on field officials to back their judgement.

Now, when a mistake happens, the media are blowing up about how this got missed and why wasn't the video referee used. Talk about a no win scenario let alone hypocrisy.

Mainly coming from 9 commentators. Fox commentary last night correctly pointed out that the bunker can overturn a goal line/20 metre restart decision (quickly) but is unable to overturn a try incorrectly awarded.

T-Boon

Coach
Mainly coming from 9 commentators. Fox commentary last night correctly pointed out that the bunker can overturn a goal line/20 metre restart decision (quickly) but is unable to overturn a try incorrectly awarded.

The nine commentary team is repugnant.

dragon_around

Juniors
Henry Perenara robbed Eels of a try, and I'm still confused how the bunker was able to rule on a pass called a knock on without awarding the try