1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Tiger5150, Aug 16, 2019.

1. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

The things that usually get called horrible mistakes are often 50/50 calls that could go either way so there is always 50% of the fans that are going to think it is an epically horrible call.

2. mave

mave First Grade

NRL don't help themselves by having ex players in the bunker doing games on their ex team, 18 months after retirement.

It's a bad look when 50/50 calls go to said team.

3. Meth

Meth Moderator Staff Member

Look, I get that. I'm generally going to be aggrieved when 50/50 calls go against us. But I think you'll find A LOT of neutrals were of the same mind in that particular game. Nobody hates the Titans. The refs were just bad.

And when, in the same way, I watch games with no particular interest in who wins or loses, the refs are bad.

4. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

44 missed tackles and 31 errors in that NZ v Tits game.

The officials weren't the only professionals making mistakes.

T-Boon likes this.
  5. Meth

Oh, for sure. I'm not claiming the Warriors deserved to win. They missed tackles and failed to capitalize on the opportunities that they had. I've seen some teams genuinely robbed- but the Warriors were not on the night.

But just as the refereeing performance doesn't excuse the players', the players' performance doesn't excuse the referee's

6. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

I think a bad ref decision would be “I don’t know, I can’t decide, you guys sort it out”.

7. no name

no name Coach

That’s what Atkins does every week.

This Year? likes this.
  8. siv

siv Bench

The one that gets me are the following

Feed across the scrum - no longer enforced

Opposition hooker striking for the ball causing the half to knock on is now a refeed

blue bags likes this.
  9. siv

siv Bench

Also whats

6 again penalty 6 again 6 again penalty penalty

Sin bin or play on ??

10. siv

siv Bench

I want a captain to challenge a knock on when it was a knock back

blue bags and Vee like this.
  11. AJB1102

AJB1102 First Grade

They'll lose. Bunker will always side with on field call unless its blatantly obviously incorrect.

12. Vee

Vee Bench

As a past ref, that was always one of the easiest calls. Just watch the hands. Could never understand why so many people couldn't get it.

Dingo_dan and blue bags like this.
  13. Vee

Vee Bench

BYC cleans up a grubber and get tackled 5m out. Quick ptb denied by Reynolds dragging him back down, 6tg ruled.

But it was tackle 1 5m out. There's got to be more disincentive to do that, penalty should be àn option.

T-Boon and Loose Cannon like this.
  14. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

i think the point is human beings make mistakes!

15. mxlegend99

mxlegend99 Referee

How about the inconsistency last week to this week in what is a strip? Last week Waqa Blake blatantly strips the ball from a players hands in a 2man tackle. Its deemed perfectly fine as the bunker said he was looking to offload.

This week Hiku does something similar and less blatant. But its now a strip for some reason. The situation s nearly identical.

I think the Hiku one was correct and the Blake one was wrong. But how can nearly identical situations change so much in a week? In the game day thread they said it was the same guy for both aswell. His own interpretation changed to either help Eels / screw Sea Eagles or help Roosters / screw Warriors.

16. skeepe

skeepe Immortal

Yeah that was bad. It’s ridiculous frankly that they continue to get it wrong.

The Ryan Sutton obstruction is actually a new made-up rule too - even though it was a defensive decision by Cook, the ruling was “Sutton hits the defender with force” which is nowhere in the rule book.

So how much force does it take for a defensive decision to change into obstruction? How many Newtons?

17. Meth

fine- but we’re not expecting perfection. Just a higher standard. Not too much to ask.

18. Meth

I'm annoyed that the bunker officials have been relegated after another ordinary performance last night (Dragons v Sharks). It's almost as if the refs are saying that there are consequences when referees get it horribly wrong, but they are dishing crap up every week and there is little to no consequence or accountability- what makes this one so especially bad?

Anyway- I actually thought Chris Sutton was very good last night.

19. gerg

gerg Juniors

The more replays I see of the Sutton/Cook one the more annoyed I get. Cook is sliding out to follow the ball, then just pauses and let's Sutton run into his inside shoulder. Surely it is a defensive decision.

20. Pistol_Pete

Pistol_Pete Juniors

There is one piece of shit that takes the biscuit - Bill Harrigan.

Apparently it is against the rules to tap the ball forward when there was no marker and run into an offside player ... in a grand final no less. What a shame Fulton's cement truck didn't get him in 1987, then reverse over the PoS to make sure he got him.