1. Out Now:

Here it is - the latest edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine with a full wrap on last weekend's NRL and Super League along with the match programme for the coming round!

Ahead of Women in League Round this weekend, this bumper issue has plenty of features. Paul Jobber chats to Erin Molan about life in broadcasting, footy and more. Joshua Wells talks to NRLW player Botille Vette-Welsh about her rise in the women's game. We've also got Rick Edgerton's weekly finals piece, this week looking at the spines of each of the top eight sides. We also look at Old Boys Day through the eyes of Newcastle prop Daniel Saifiti.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - a full NRL Round 19 programme - and you have one fantastic 36-page magazine for your weekend's reading!

EDITION 17 - OUT NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

Discussion in 'NRL' started by Tiger5150, Aug 16, 2019.

1. The_Frog

The_Frog Juniors

Impossible for a mere mortal to tell without complicated equipment and computer software, allowing for variables like wind speed and player speed and direction. If the rule were that the ball had to finish no closer to the opposition dead ball line than when it left the hands, it could be tracked and you'd get a correct answer every time. It would become very difficult to throw a legal pass while running though.

blue bags and T-Boon like this.
  2. Saxon

Saxon Juniors

You don't just have to accept a total rugby study. How about you accept Newton's Laws of Motion? Or Einstein's Theory of Relativity? People have studied this in detail for hundreds of years, why do you find it so hard?

The other thing is that what you are asking for would ruin the game. Every player running forward needing to ensure the ball was caught behind the point where he passed it? We would have 100 forward pass calls a game and if by some miracle the players overcame a lifetime of training and managed to actually do it League would become a slow, boring game with no smooth sweeping plays and strong defensive teams constantly driving their opponents backwards.

colly, ACTPanthers and blue bags like this.
  3. Vee

Vee Bench

That would be because you're stupid.

juro, Apey and Saxon like this.
  4. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

Your the one getting around here gloating that you can always tell if it is forward or backward out of the hand, that is unadulterated geniusation.

5. Vee

Vee Bench

Fair dinkum Sport, you've gone from a quaint eccentric to downright embarrassing with your inability to understand the simplest concepts even when they are explained to you ad nauseum.

6. typicalfan

typicalfan Coach

In the NRL chess championship, you'd be a rook or queen.

Apey likes this.
  7. Saxon

Saxon Juniors

Nah, he'd be that pawn that gets taken about the 5th move of the game and spends the rest of the match sitting on the sideline wondering what happened.

Vee likes this.
  8. Apey

Apey Moderator Staff Member

If you're arguing with T-boon, you haven't spent enough time on the forum.

SBD82, firechild and ACTPanthers like this.
  9. Vee

Vee Bench

Yeah, my bad. Sometimes you get sucked into his vortex of stupidity and you wonder two things - HTF did I get into this conversation and HTF do I get out of it?

juro likes this.
  10. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

You guys who found out about Newton's laws of physics through this are painful, like born again Christians.

Newton does not say a footballer can't throw a pass so it goes backwards. Or that we all have Vee like abilities to instantly see which direction the ball comes out of the hand.

Trbjebjovic could have thrown his pass so it went backwards from where he threw it.

The rule needs to be if it is caught in front of where it is thrown it should be assumed to be a forward pass unless the ref saw it go backwards out of the hands which would be difficult to see 90% of the time given the angles. If that is the rule the onus is on the passer to pass it so it doesn't go forward in-front of where he passed it.

Alternatively every dubious pass should be reviewed.

You log heads who bitch and moan about the refs and Newton to go watch rugby.

11. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

Aren't you the dopey bastard who said he can tell instantly if every pass is forward or not. Dude those are words of pure idiocy.

12. gerg

gerg Juniors

He's got you there Vee. There is no better judge of idiocy on this forum than tboon.

Vee likes this.
  13. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

This has turned ugly. I am bailing. You can find me in the ideas room.

14. Vee

Vee Bench

The silly ideas room.

15. ACTPanthers

ACTPanthers Bench

Wow... this is even stupid by Boonies standard... *slow clap*

16. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

Expecting a referee to see if a ball went backwards out of the hand before it went a metre forward is stupid.

17. Vee

Vee Bench

I thought you were leaving.

18. T-Boon

T-Boon Coach

I am. I forgot my hat.

19. siv

siv Bench

Im a firm beleiver in Quantum Physics

20. Meth

Meth Moderator Staff Member

We had a player penalised for throwing a tackled players boot today. I don’t mind it to be honest.

I also wanted to give a wrap to Peter Gough. Good ref. And I was saying that when we were behind at HT

Diesel likes this.