What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Refs boss congratulates referee for making the wrong call

Big Pete

Referee
It's not even the halves that's letting the Raiders down. It's the forward pack and it's lack of a good number 9.

Dugan is back and will only get better over time.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Our backline owned Canberra on Sunday. The Raiders centres are nothing to rave about. Croker offers nothing but good footwork and a passing game; Sau would run straight over the top of him. Thompson had about 5 good NRL games at centre last year and is yet to show any of that potential this year. Uate is better then both of Canberra's wingers combined. Mullen is on par with Campese, if not better.

Raider_69

Post Whore
The pack is an issue but a large part of that is the fact there is no one they respond to in the halves directing them... enter campese

the halves are struggling because orford is playing like shit, williams is a bit too green and mccrone isnt a natural leader... enter campese

the backs are struggling because the halves and hooker have no direction and no ability to pull the team together to them playing to their strengths and getting the pack to win the ruck and allowing the backs to get the space they need to do their thing... enter campese.

Tongue will help in some areas, dugan will help in some areas. The team will improve with time but really, i dont know when it happened but without campese, it just doesnt happen... i never thought it would happen but the canberra raiders have become a one man team... like broncos and lockyer, cowboys and thurston, storm and smith, tigers and benji, roosters with freddy, roosters with carney... we suck without campese, inspite of our other talents

Big Pete

Referee
Campese isn't as capable as some of you Raiders think he is.

He was dead set ordinary last season until that final third phase and even during that run he had his ordinary moments.

Unless his surgeon was the same guy who worked on the six million dollar man, I can't even see Campese reaching those 'heights'.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
The pack is an issue but a large part of that is the fact there is no one they respond to in the halves directing them... enter campese

the halves are struggling because orford is playing like shit, williams is a bit too green and mccrone isnt a natural leader... enter campese

the backs are struggling because the halves and hooker have no direction and no ability to pull the team together to them playing to their strengths and getting the pack to win the ruck and allowing the backs to get the space they need to do their thing... enter campese.

Tongue will help in some areas, dugan will help in some areas. The team will improve with time but really, i dont know when it happened but without campese, it just doesnt happen... i never thought it would happen but the canberra raiders have become a one man team... like broncos and lockyer, cowboys and thurston, storm and smith, tigers and benji, roosters with freddy, roosters with carney... we suck without campese, inspite of our other talents

The Raiders are averaging 25 points conceded every game, doesn't matter how good your half is, concede that many and you will lose alot more than you win. Campese returning will have little impact on that.

None of the players seem to want to put in for each other. The sad thing is, Campese isn't even that good and you think you can't win without him. He is however the poster boy for the Raiders ethos of "consistently inconsistent". When fully fit you couldn't say he's "dominant" in more than a third of his games, and that's probably being generous.

Last edited:
Campese is a f**king dud and those morons talk him up like he is Johns or Fittler :lol:

Watching the Faders capitulate this season has been hilarious, all of that pre-season bullshit was worth taking just to see the excuses roll out.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I am just happy to see skeepe OK, and back on form.

I was concerned after Newy beat the raiders, with "The Dugan" and The man god Alan Tongue, all with kidley playing.

Good to see you are OK skeepe, as a sharks fan I can say there is always next year.

Spot On

Coach

He was dead set ordinary last season until that final third phase and even during that run he had his ordinary moments.

Unless his surgeon was the same guy who worked on the six million dollar man, I can't even see Campese reaching those 'heights'.

Could not agree with you more. Campo is extremely inconsistent. However, when he hits form he is bloody dangerous - just doesn't happen often enough.

Raider_69

Post Whore

Campese's meaning to this team isnt just in his personal performance. He isnt the greatest thing since sliced bread but he's a damn good FGer and aside from that, he's the guy our team responds to behind the goal line, he sets the tone for our side with his passion... even when he plays poorly, he does more for our team than anyone else in other aspects

he's not benji, or lockyer, or johns, or smith, or who ever you want to name but his influence on the raiders is just as significant

Big Pete

Referee
The only contribution Campese will add to the Raiders when he returns is that he'll get rid of Orford.

This mumbo jumbo about influence is a myth. Last season the forward pack and the backs were playing well in spite of Campese's s**t form. It really wasn't until an arsey win against Manly he came good.

Burwood

Bench
Campese's meaning to this team isnt just in his personal performance. He isnt the greatest thing since sliced bread but he's a damn good FGer and aside from that, he's the guy our team responds to behind the goal line, he sets the tone for our side with his passion... even when he plays poorly, he does more for our team than anyone else in other aspects

he's not benji, or lockyer, or johns, or smith, or who ever you want to name but his influence on the raiders is just as significant

So he's Kidley?

Raider_69

Post Whore
yes, at a club level, ive never really had an issue with him at a club level (im sure you can find a quote that says otherwise but thats probably more to do with my hatred for the knights and their fans).
Just state level he's not up to, and perhaps you'd make the same case for campese.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Campese's not a world beater but he's not a dud either. He'll add good value to the Raiders and they'll win a few games they might otherwise have lost once he's back.

Big Pete

Referee
No doubt but his inclusion alone won't automatically save the Raiders. That has been my point all along.

As long as Dugan can stay healthy things will start turning around on the field.

RABK

Referee
Raiders were a one man team in 1993. Went down like a sniper got them when Stuart broke his leg.

Whos Ya Daddy

First Grade

Actually when Campese is on he can tear a team to shreds. His problem is consistency and that's what separates him from the players you named. He has the talent no question. Don't sell him short.

Raider_69

Post Whore
i can tell you this much, we'd be 3 and 4 or better with a fit campese this season

we wouldnt have lost that titans game and we would have put the knights away when we had the chance with him... 3-4 is average but you're still in with a fighting chance, instead we're 1-6 and pushing shit up a hill from here

Noname36

First Grade
I'd take Newcastle's incredibly underrated "nuffies", over Canberra's overrated "talent", any day of the week.

I'm sure Dragons supporters wouldn't replace their current team with the much more "talented" team they had in 2005. Talent is worthless if the players won't have a go...and that's where the Knights have it over the Raiders in spades.

The talent at the Raiders is incredibly overrated though. Apart from Shillington and Dugan, there's none I'd really want in my team anyway.

Raiderdave

First Grade
I hope that some of the dribblers who support other teams get a similar call from Mr Checcin in the coming weeks

I hope he farks up another call that is the difference between a win & a loss ...cos he will

hell lets make it a semi that sees a sides season end on one of his incorrect calls
& lets applaud that shall we :crazy::crazy:

CMUX

I did. And for the first round or two, they were very good. They have regressed at a very rapid rate, so much so that the round just passed is the worst I can remember.

Makes sense. As the Raiders loss tally goes up, the referees performance goes down.

It’s one of those laws of the universe.