What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relegation for Sydney clubs?

So if this was in place in 2013, Parra would be relegated, replaced by Cronulla. How the hell would you run the comp with 2 Cronullas???

Having the vast majority of NSW Cup teams linked to NRL teams makes this idea unworkable.

So their chances of winning the comp would double from 0 to ...........0 :eek:

POPEYE

Coach
What Dave Smith says about making sure everything is being done to ensure all clubs stay viable and expansion is still only visionary shouldn't be taken out of context. His appointment was a long careful procedure and future League politics haven't yet been visible under the camouflage . . . just saying

Perth Red

Post Whore
The term "plastic" is referring to a lack of generational support.

He was saying it in regards to new clubs coming in not existing clubs. Generational support can only be built over time! Any new club, be it now or from one hundred years ago, started from nothing and grew. Out of the current expansion bids there is only Bombers you would arguably attach the plastic tag to due to their lack of grass roots involvement in the bid but even then would you call Storm a plastic franchise even though they have a bigger supporter base, better income and are more valuable to the NRL than most clubs that have been around a lot longer?

In the ideal world yes you would just keep expanding the number of clubs and have the financial resources, corporate support, fanbase and player pool to do so. Back in the real world the NRL is telling us those things don't exist so expansion can't happen. How long do you give the existing clubs to be what the NRL wants them to be and how long do you leave more lucrative markets barren whilst that happens? Not easy decisions as either way the game loses out.

Zigwaa

Bench
not even my ideas are this bad. And some of them include adding extra players onto the field, a three point line for drop goals, an oval field and letting players bring their pets onto the field if they win a grand final

:lol::lol:

Lambretta

First Grade
I like this idea - it's up there with arsenic alcopops or mandatory heroin taking for the under 5's

Why isn't there an operation border sovereign borders for the internet to prevent people like the OP from accessing keyboards?

POPEYE

Coach
He was saying it in regards to new clubs coming in not existing clubs. Generational support can only be built over time! Any new club, be it now or from one hundred years ago, started from nothing and grew. Out of the current expansion bids there is only Bombers you would arguably attach the plastic tag to due to their lack of grass roots involvement in the bid but even then would you call Storm a plastic franchise even though they have a bigger supporter base, better income and are more valuable to the NRL than most clubs that have been around a lot longer?

In the ideal world yes you would just keep expanding the number of clubs and have the financial resources, corporate support, fanbase and player pool to do so. Back in the real world the NRL is telling us those things don't exist so expansion can't happen. How long do you give the existing clubs to be what the NRL wants them to be and how long do you leave more lucrative markets barren whilst that happens? Not easy decisions as either way the game loses out.

A pity logic is not contageous, the game is doing fine the way it is plodding along . . . that is for those with one eye who are prepared to sleep with it open

Loudstrat

Coach
Well, if Cyclops is happy........:crazy:

Agree with PR - the need for the Bears in Gosford is overwhelming.

POPEYE

Coach
Well, if Cyclops is happy........:crazy:

Agree with PR - the need for the Bears in Gosford is overwhelming.

Wouldn't it be ironic if the tears of happiness in your eye couldn't match those in both of mine when Parra
forges ahead in '14 . . . tis great to be flexible

_Johnsy

Referee
Lets start a rebel competition owned by media moguls and call it super league. That way we can have every club competing whoring themselves on a weekly basis.

Haffa

Relegate Perth from the expansion options replace them with mudgee who proved they can draw a crowd even if it's just for a game between parra and the Gold Coast.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
If the game ever got big enough to have the luxury of a genuinely good second tier comp, then I'd be all for it.

the game has a lot of work to do at that level. It was criminal what happened and an indictment on the old boys who ran the NSWRL.

POPEYE

Coach
You cant have tears for Melbourne AND Parra. Not after 09.

I've never once had tears for Melbourne old mate, nor any other team that does what it has to do to keep what it earned. When Parra returns to keeping what rightfully belongs to it I won't give a shit about the process involved . . . players like Tupou and other escapees could get paid a f**king squillion under the table to stay for all I care

Loudstrat

Coach
Melbourne rightfully earned nothing from 07-09 - yet you have whinged long and hard that the cheating scum got caught out.

POPEYE

Coach
Melbourne rightfully earned nothing from 07-09 - yet you have whinged long and hard that the cheating scum got caught out.

That will always be the difference between you and I.

I want every club to search out talent, nurture and keep it. You want every club to operate on the same lowest common denominator . . . survival of the mediocre