What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relocate training to Kogarah?

j0nesy

Bench
Corey Norman, Ben Hunt, Tyson Frizell, James Graham, Matt Dufty, Host, Lats, Robson, and McInnes if he hasn’t already is soon by all accounts. There are probably also more but most importantly they are nearly all bar Friz from outside the Gong.
That’s 9 out of a squad of 29. So move training to kogarah and piss off the rest of the squad? I’m not buying it. Sounds like Gould is just looking for something to talk about, which is his job I suppose.
They last won in 2003 too and we were as close last year as they will get this year. They also have great juniors.
Didn’t hear Gould talking about that as a reason when he was at the Panthers.

Coffs dragon

Bench
Why the f**k should it worry Gus Gould! He travelled from his shire home to Penrith each day as Football manager then to North shore for his TV commitments with Channel 9! It's up to each individual to choose where they live and how far they have to travel to get to their well paid workplaces!

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
That’s 9 out of a squad of 29. So move training to kogarah and piss off the rest of the squad? I’m not buying it. Sounds like Gould is just looking for something to talk about, which is his job I suppose.

Didn’t hear Gould talking about that as a reason when he was at the Panthers.
As far as I’m aware most of the Penny players live in Penrith, plus that’s just a selection of the best Dragons players that live in Sydney not the only ones. Of course most of the good juniors come from Illawarra or the country like Lomax and are more than happy to live in the Gong. The Raiders went away from Sydney because those pussies can’t handle the cold and now have a policy of tough poms and country boys and it’s paying dividends. Maybe we could do similar and only recruit players who want to live in the Gong. I’m just opening a debate not saying I have the answer.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Why the f**k should it worry Gus Gould! He travelled from his shire home to Penrith each day as Football manager then to North shore for his TV commitments with Channel 9! It's up to each individual to choose where they live and how far they have to travel to get to their well paid workplaces!
Not sure but he said it.

SBD82

Coach
All you blokes commenting on what Gus said. Tell the truth. Did you watch it? Or did you just hear the quotes?

blacksafake

First Grade
I sit in the M5 traffic for 3 hours every day along with working.
Driving to the gong is really not that far for them,assuming a lot of them live in the south of Sydney especially as they are probably going against the traffic too. Imagine if they had to travel to the northern beaches or Penrith. It’d take 2/3 hours on occasions.
I wonder if any of the players are actually complaining as all this seems to be press driven.

j0nesy

Bench
All you blokes commenting on what Gus said. Tell the truth. Did you watch it? Or did you just hear the quotes?
Im responding to the OP. I didn’t hear it or read it from Gus. This topic has come up before on here though.

j0nesy

Bench
Thanks for sharing mate.

“What I understand is, too, while they base their camp in Illawarra, half the team lives an hour south of Wollongong, the other half of the team lives Cronulla or north,” Gould told talking sport.

Just as I thought Gould has over exaggerated/ made shit up. Half the team does not live an hour south nor does half the team live an hour north. Just inventing another story for the media.

Let’s entertain this little yarn of Gus’ for a bit. Let’s say half the team does live an hour south of the gong and we move our training to Kogarah then that would mean half the team would have to travel 2 hrs to training and 4hrs per day. Even worse.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Seems that way.
I’m originally a St George fan but one that loves the merger and absolutely loves the Illawarra region much more than Sydney. Illawarra have undoubtedly produced most of our good juniors and will continue to do so, as it was doing before the Steelers entered the comp and before sardines ever discovered peptides. My personal preference would be that everyone lives in the Gong and trains there. Alternatively maybe Sydney weeks we train in Sydney And Wollongong weeks we train there to split it up.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Thanks for sharing mate.

“What I understand is, too, while they base their camp in Illawarra, half the team lives an hour south of Wollongong, the other half of the team lives Cronulla or north,” Gould told talking sport.

Just as I thought Gould has over exaggerated/ made shit up. Half the team does not live an hour south nor does half the team live an hour north. Just inventing another story for the media.

Let’s entertain this little yarn of Gus’ for a bit. Let’s say half the team does live an hour south of the gong and we move our training to Kogarah then that would mean half the team would have to travel 2 hrs to training and 4hrs per day. Even worse.
Based on Gus’ analysis of player locations, Wollongong is about as close to halfway as we could get..

Unless we want to start running training drills at Red Cedar Flats..

j0nesy

Bench
Based on Gus’ analysis of player locations, Wollongong is about as close to halfway as we could get..

Unless we want to start running training drills at Red Cedar Flats..
Haha, then the “half of the team” that lives an hour south of Wollongong would have to travel 1 1/2 hours to training. That just wouldn’t do. They’d have to then relocate to Otford so as not to burn themselves out.

SaintPauli

Juniors
I have spoken on this topic many times before. I think being located at Woolongong is a detriment to our chances of signing players from other clubs and of signing promising juniors in the city or the country. Of course we should be located at Kogarah. If we were located at Kogarah, players could also live in the Eastern Suburbs and still be close enough to Kogarah. They could even live around Mossman an still be close enough to training or they could live in many other attractive locations in Sydney. Our headquarters should be at Kogarah.

Just like Cooper cronk who said he wanted to locate himself in Mosman and choose a team close by. Kogarah
with Eastern Distributor is 35 minutes.
The gong is too far.

Closer to juniors from roarters, dogs, Cronulla, Souths and Newtown.