What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relocate training to Kogarah?

possm

Coach
i seen an article by Gould claiming the travel could be getting to the lads, and it’s something I have thought about for years. Me personally if I were a player I’d much prefer the Illawarra region to live but I’m a country bloke and think Sydney is a bit of a hole. Players on the other hand seem to love Sydney with all it offers a young buck. Should they just train at Kogarah to make it more attractive to players so they can live at Cronulla? Or should we force the players to live in the Gong. Young blokes these days don’t seem to see the bigger picture though so I doubt that will succeed.
I think the Club should invest in a comfortable bus or make arrangements with a local bus company to transport the players living in Sydney to Kogarah or Wollongong. Maybe WIN Corp could sponsor such a bus.

Until the St George Leagues Club is upgraded and a new training facility is bult at Kogarah, we should just train at Wolongong.

j0nesy

Bench
I think the Club should invest in a comfortable bus or make arrangements with a local bus company to transport the players living in Sydney to Kogarah or Wollongong. Maybe WIN Corp could sponsor such a bus.

Until the St George Leagues Club is upgraded and a new training facility is bult at Kogarah, we should just train at Wolongong.

Sounds fair WIN Corp pays for the special bus to get Sydney players to Wollongong and St George leagues pays for the training facility. Don’t forget once this you beaut new training facility is built someone will need to foot the bill for the bus for the “half the team that lives an hour south of Wollongong” to get to Kogarah, St George leagues should pay for that.

Alternatively, Gus and some fans could stop inventing stories. The club could save the money and use it for something we actually need (especially the bus money that could go a long way). Both sides of the JV can contribute equal funding. Even better if the JV is run as business instead of gravy train for old boys it may actually generate revenue and pay for everything stuff itself.

SBD82

Coach

Coffs dragon

Bench
It wasn't a problem when Bennett was here, he told the players and management that our BASE was in Wollongong. Take it or leave it.
If we had good strong Management & Recruitment then that's what they should be instructing our current & future players.
I'm sure the players would get better value for their money living near the beach on the South Coast than living in Hurstville-Kogarah next to a train line under a flight path.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Most of you people on this thread are starting to sound like the excuse gallery for our board, coach and results.
These guys have plenty of cash and time to make it work. We even provide a bus for the guys from north to come down to training etc.
How long do you reckon it takes for some of the penrith guys to get to training from all parts of the city. they dont all live in Penrith or close by in Parra. They car pool to training.

BLM01
Spot on.
Cowboys have won a comp travelling much greater distance than any of our players have after travel. As you have already said it's just another excuse

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Doesn’t seem to bother Melbourne. Not many players originate from there.
Beat me to it. They travel interstate for all their away games.

To put things in perspective... Mick Cronin lived in Gerringong and played 11 seasons with Parramatta, driving himself to and from training 2-3 times per week while running his pub in Gerringong. It was at least a 5 hour round trip in those days. No chauffeur driven bus and on old roads. He became the League's top point scorer.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
T
Beat me to it. They travel interstate for all their away games.

To put things in perspective... Mick Cronin lived in Gerringong and played 11 seasons with Parramatta, driving himself to and from training 2-3 times per week while running his pub in Gerringong. It was at least a 5 hour round trip in those days. No chauffeur driven bus and on old roads. He became the League's top point scorer.
They don’t make them like they used to.

Dragons 09

Juniors
Imagine we had a culture that inspired our players. Where any commute is worth it, purely for the chance to be part of something special.

Instead, we have a culture of excuses.

100% mate. A real coach and a genuine premiership chance and you would have lads paddle boarding from NZ to come play for us. I seriously can't even believe this is a story and even worse, it's mind numbing that some people are buying into it.

An hours drive to training for half the team is why we have been also ran's for the last 7 and a half years? REALLY!
FFS, concentrate on the real problem and just fix it.

Dragonsamy

Bench
Imagine we had a culture that inspired our players. Where any commute is worth it, purely for the chance to be part of something special.

Instead, we have a culture of excuses.

Grouch
Well said.
It didn't stop them in 2010 so why not now.
We all no the real reasons

SGMax

Juniors
I am sure once a player has signed the travel is not a big issue.
The point is if a player is considering an offer from the Dragons and he also has offers from Souths , Bulldogs, Roosters etc, it will count against us.

For some prospective signings it may mean an extra couple of hours driving each day and less time with the kids.
For others it may mean relocating to the gong and the kids changing school.
Its something that most would avoid unless the Dragons were offering something extra.

Also, sick of hearing how the Illawarra provides the juniors.
The juniors are not exclusive to the Dragons and any team can sign them. We will get a better look at them as they develop, but these young players will go with whoever promises them a better career path or more dollars.
Juniors from all the other Sydney teams are the least likely to want to travel and relocate out of Sydney.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Also, sick of hearing how the Illawarra provides the juniors.
100% of all junior comps won during the JV have been due to Illawarra.

The juniors are not exclusive to the Dragons and any team can sign them. We will get a better look at them as they develop, but these young players will go with whoever promises them a better career path or more dollars.
Juniors from all the other Sydney teams are the least likely to want to travel and relocate out of Sydney.
So much irony in this statement that it’s almost satire.

At the start of your post you talk about how players don’t want to move far from home, but then say Illawarra juniors will move.

And secondly, with the proliferation of Sydney clubs and the limited juniors in the area, you should have a quick look at the laws of supply and demand to understand what that does to the contracts..