What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relocate training to Kogarah?

SGMax

Juniors
100% of all junior comps won during the JV have been due to Illawarra.

So much irony in this statement that it’s almost satire.

At the start of your post you talk about how players don’t want to move far from home, but then say Illawarra juniors will move.

And secondly, with the proliferation of Sydney clubs and the limited juniors in the area, you should have a quick look at the laws of supply and demand to understand what that does to the contracts..

I don't expect much different from you as you are clearly on the Illawarra side of the discussion.
You ignore the rest of the comments about competition for established talent.

Players in demand will have competing offers and in most cases we are negotiating with a distinct disadvantage.
Players coming from Newcastle Canberra or NQ may consider moving to a quieter and smaller city an attraction but overall most will want to sign for a Sydney alternative.

Being obstinate stops you from accepting that we need to be closer to our competitors in the player market when trying to attract players.
A point of difference such as a quieter environment will only occasionally help.

Try not to get confused between established in demand talent and juniors who are being signed on potential for the next few years.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
It wasn't a problem when Bennett was here, he told the players and management that our BASE was in Wollongong. Take it or leave it.
If we had good strong Management & Recruitment then that's what they should be instructing our current & future players.
I'm sure the players would get better value for their money living near the beach on the South Coast than living in Hurstville-Kogarah next to a train line under a flight path.
spot on - good strong Management & Recruitment would make all the little issues / excuses like this one just melt away.

Bennett commands respect, players will even play for South Sydney just to play under him.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I don't expect much different from you as you are clearly on the Illawarra side of the discussion.
You ignore the rest of the comments about competition for established talent.

Players in demand will have competing offers and in most cases we are negotiating with a distinct disadvantage.
Players coming from Newcastle Canberra or NQ may consider moving to a quieter and smaller city an attraction but overall most will want to sign for a Sydney alternative.

Being obstinate stops you from accepting that we need to be closer to our competitors in the player market when trying to attract players.
A point of difference such as a quieter environment will only occasionally help.

Try not to get confused between established in demand talent and juniors who are being signed on potential for the next few years.
Lol..

Automatically discounting someone else’s view because you see them as “the other side” is an insular position which never ends well..

Out of curiousity, could you name any of this top talent have we failed to attract because of our location?

And you can bolster your argument if you can name any former juniors who left the club purely to get to Sydney..

St Georgio

Juniors
There are nice places near KO worth some good coin and 5 minutes away from the ground like Sandringham, Dolls Point, Sans Souci 20 minutes to Sydney CBD and 15 minutes to Cronulla beach, I am all for playing out of KO, I also love Kiama so I think they should do Alternate weeks to cater for Both the Sydney boys and the Wollongong based Boys.

possm

Coach
Sounds fair WIN Corp pays for the special bus to get Sydney players to Wollongong and St George leagues pays for the training facility. Don’t forget once this you beaut new training facility is built someone will need to foot the bill for the bus for the “half the team that lives an hour south of Wollongong” to get to Kogarah, St George leagues should pay for that.

Alternatively, Gus and some fans could stop inventing stories. The club could save the money and use it for something we actually need (especially the bus money that could go a long way). Both sides of the JV can contribute equal funding. Even better if the JV is run as business instead of gravy train for old boys it may actually generate revenue and pay for everything stuff itself.
There is no JV, there is a partnership between a football club and a corporation. Once the St George Leagues Club precinct is re-developed with a top line training facility included, WIN can sponsor a bus to take all of the Wollongong players to training at Kogarah. If WIN does not want to sponsor the bus, then that says it all. Maybe they should sell their shares to St George and then concentrate on junior development in the Illawarra district.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
There is no JV, there is a partnership between a football club and a corporation. Once the St George Leagues Club precinct is re-developed with a top line training facility included, WIN can sponsor a bus to take all of the Wollongong players to training at Kogarah. If WIN does not want to sponsor the bus, then that says it all. Maybe they should sell their shares to St George and then concentrate on junior development in the Illawarra district.
You know, if you’re that dedicated on staying local and avoiding all that travel what not, the NSW cup would gladly accept St George..

One favour to ask, would you be our feeder club?

j0nesy

Bench
Sorry gents. Apparently last night I was being a belligerent f**kwit. Poor form on my account. I’m not even sure what point I was trying to make.
Think your point was fair, there wasn’t a link and we assumed it was true. Which, it mostly was. But it could have been entirely hearsay and we’d have been wasting our energy. Which it turns out we are anyway as we move further off topic... now I forgot my point ;-)

j0nesy

Bench
Yeah St George Leagues could fund the purchase out of extra revenue generated from poker machines, A sizzler restaurant or a Chinese buffet... f**king hell vote me in I should be on the board. You should join me we could build a wall at waterfall and make the Steelers pay for it. Might be hard for the bus to get through but we could work out a solution I’m sure.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade
Yeah St George Leagues could fund the purchase out of extra revenue generated from poker machines, A sizzler restaurant or a Chinese buffet... f**king hell vote me in I should be on the board. You should join me we could build a wall at waterfall and make the Steelers pay for it. Might be hard for the bus to get through but we could work out a solution I’m sure.
Here is the former Mexican president's reaction to Trump saying that Mexico can pay for the wall.

SaintPauli

Juniors
There are nice places near KO worth some good coin and 5 minutes away from the ground like Sandringham, Dolls Point, Sans Souci 20 minutes to Sydney CBD and 15 minutes to Cronulla beach, I am all for playing out of KO, I also love Kiama so I think they should do Alternate weeks to cater for Both the Sydney boys and the Wollongong based Boys.
Add Brighton-Le-Sands where i have seen many bulldogs, sharks and tigers players hanging out at the restaurants.

Geez, its not like these precious flowers have to go to training after work. They're full time bloody footballers, they've got all day to make their way to the gong. There's people who travel an hour each way on crowded trains every day for about a tenth of what these snowflakes get paid.
Absolutely right, Walpole - I've travelled between 60 and 90 minutes each way to work every day for about 6 years and I get paid a lot less than these numpties.
Honestly - how long did it take for the FoM (Friends of Mary) to dream that bullsh#t excuse up? It's like Climate Change deniers or Moon Landing hoaxers - the more untenable their position gets the more bizarre illogical sh#t they come up with.
And the simple, obvious, undeniable fact is that Mary couldn't coach a choko vine over a sh#thouse. End of.

Last edited:

merahputih

Juniors
It wasn't a problem when Bennett was here, he told the players and management that our BASE was in Wollongong. Take it or leave it.
If we had good strong Management & Recruitment then that's what they should be instructing our current & future players.
I'm sure the players would get better value for their money living near the beach on the South Coast than living in Hurstville-Kogarah next to a train line under a flight path.
I like Blakehurst, apparently Lockyer is buying a house there.
We must have signed him.

Latest posts