What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Geez we did some stupid things.

They used to have huge pits at Riverwood tip which filled up with rainwater and water from Salt Pan Creek.

A bunch of us used to "sail" the pits on upside down cutoff car roofs using old fence pailings as oars pretending to be pirates. Even using the pailings as weapons.

Get hit off the car roof and you were assured of injury or infection due to the putrid tip water.

Ah those days.....

I remember my father often driving home drunk after work on a Friday night, I also remember him sometimes leaving me in the car if he went to the pub and leave you with a couple of comic books and bring out a lemonade, these days that would be reported as child abuse.

I also remember we used to visit friends out at Chifley when we lived in Paddington, we would get the bus out but they would drive us home, we would often stop along the Botany foreshore collecting sea shells, [that section is all gone because of the port now] but we would all get into their station wagon and all the kids would pile into the back section and would go sliding around every time they turned a corner, that was so much fun when you were a kid but in hind sight now so bloody dangerous.

Last time I bought a packet of smokes they were 75c, Marlboro Reds from the Kingsford newsagency.

Beautiful recollection, thanks.

I too recall being in the back of the big station wagon. You would slam hard against a few other kids. It was great fun!

The guy next door to us in our Melbourne suburb, he had a falcon 500, it was glorious.

Pride of the suburb. He would take us kids joy riding in this prestige vehicle once in awhile. It was a serious thrill. Like being in a Lamborghini I guess.

Our street was about half a km and everyone knew everyone.

No one got molested or bullied, people were kind and friendly.

There were pool parties, kiting and we played amongst dumped cars. Tv was worth watching.

You were 4 or 5 years old and you could wander home from school on your own and not get kidnapped or stabbed by some scraggy ice fiend who thinks you are an evil reindeer.

Kids these days are under a virtual home arrest unless surrounded by props and Tongan second rowers.

Actually, we didn’t even know there was a South Pacific in those days ( it was a place to test nuclear weapons) let alone know of the richness of the cultures and quality of footy players.

You could find a park everywhere and anywhere and there were no toll roads!

Absolutely correct.

Excellent.

He was one of the toughest most lethal players of all time. Makes Gallen look like a fairy.

We used to climb into the Taronga Park Zoo at night. Russell used to hoik us over the wall because he was tall. Mum found out and I was in trouble

“ What if Russell had thrown you over and you ended up in the bear pit? “ she scolded.

The midnight Sydney harbour bridge climb was another outing, but it was always busy with other young scruffs. No ropes. Really dumb thing to do. I’d get there and chicken out, but some of the lads ascended.

And being warned off by cops at beaches. They’d say “ you better be here when we come back.” Knowing full well, wed bugger off ASAP. They’d apprehend and search you these days. Charge you with terrorism.

And if you got grounded, you were on serious home detention That would be illegal today. My kid stuck her finger up at me today. Ffs! I’d be belted into the next world for that as a kid.

Last edited:

King hit

Coach
My cousins 21st birthday was a couple of weeks ago and at the party there were photos of me and my cousins having a great time together as kids. On my dad's side we were born around the same time so we were all similar ages.

Hanging out with my cousins was a beautiful memory. One of the happiest times in what was a somewhat challenging childhood for me.

My cousins 21st birthday was a couple of weeks ago and at the party there were photos of me and my cousins having a great time together as kids. On my dad's side we were born around the same time so we were all similar ages.

Hanging out with my cousins was a beautiful memory. One of the happiest times in what was a somewhat challenging childhood for me.
That’s good.

Don’t let a challenging childhood stop the good and happier times ahead.

Your head just gets in a better place as you age.

You get wiser and better.

Back in the day, the car street races were a lot more wild and you could buy guns a lot more easily. They advertised them in papers such as the trading post. Pages and pages of rifles and stuff. ‘Twas easy.

Getting a piece now is harder.

They used to lock up and look after mental health people in hospitals instead of let them wander the street talking to themselves and chatting up light poles and stuff.

According to stats, all this modern world shaming hasn’t cured domestic violence at all. Men and women.

Marijuana was always better than snorting mixameth bicarbifebreninixycrap and trying to have sex with the neighbours clothesline at 4am after counselling their letterbox for 2 hours.

You could go into the city and no beggars and virtually no homeless people.

Last edited:
That's right.

The old man and me used to walk the streets going to the local tip carrying a high powered air rifle so I pick off a few seagulls. Good ole downtown Riverwood.

Do that today and the SWAT team would have you dead lying in a pool of blood.

That’s a pretty good memory.

I lived in a few suburbs but settled out here in God’s country, Sydney’s Wild West.

There’s still the occasional burn out, donut and competitive street race. We are simple folk out here, live and let live. If we ain’t effected, we don’t care and no absolutely no snitching.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
We used to string 80lb breaking strain fishing line across the street between two power poles in the hope we would do some serious damage to a motorcyclist or pushie rider.

We gave up after about 10 minutes after just a few cars went past. Too scary.

I haven't thought about this for nearly 50 years.

King hit

Coach
That’s good.

Don’t let a challenging childhood stop the good and happier times ahead.

Your head just gets in a better place as you age.

You get wiser and better.

I’m going along quite well. I’m a college graduate and been doing a job I like for 14 months and have great friends and family around me.