What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders of your childhood

Used to buy heaps of mags: MAD Magazine, Hot Metal, Empire, Metal Hammer, Circus, Revolver, NME, Rolling Stone, Mojo, Q, Juice.

Then there were the comics - I used to get The Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants and X-Factor and sometimes Excalibur...before the Jim Lee / Rob Liefeld explosion (I was there for Deadpool and Cable's arrivals!). Also like the Avengers back in the day. My Capt Marvel was a black woman... Then of course the early 90's comics boom saw multi covers, a dozen or more titles in each category and to much to read.

Used to get all the street press too like OTS - On The Street, Drum Media, 3D World and all the in-store magazines.

Used to collect the ARIA Top 50 chart religiously. And Hit Songwords and Smash Hits for lyrics.

I used to travel a lot, so would always buy 4-5 mags at the airport for the 24 hour trips.

These days, I don't read any of those.

I was just thinking that news agents are now just gambling outlets.

For the kids here, the pokies had big handles that swallowed 1 or 2 cent coins. Everyone drank KB or New all day long and you could smoke cigs anywhere.

There was none of that meth crap.

Glamorous women wore nice tweed jackets just a touch of blue eyeshadow.

Inside Edge...yes!!!

I remember some guy writing in in 1993/94 saying who the team would be in 2000. Langer / Martyb captain/vice captain combo if I recall. But he was pretty much spot on.

Written by a R. Marsh, Adelaide.

That secondhand smoke if those old pokies rooms o_O Mmm cancerous.

Definitely but people were not educated then. We all thought smoking was cool and tough. Packets of smokes were like 80 cents.

Cops were always big tough blokes you would nod to on the street out of respect ...in case you got a backhander.

If you got arrested, be respectful or they would punch the daylights out of you and get a commissioners award. No appeal.

Lots of people used to drive home drunk after the pub after work which wasn’t very safe in cars that had Bench seats and no seat belts.

You would slide into the person next to you at every corner. Hard to keep your grip on the wheel during a tight right hander at pace.

I had a Holden Belmont panelvan once. Great car. Holden used to make great cars.

axl rose

Bench
Inside Edge...yes!!!

I remember some guy writing in in 1993/94 saying who the team would be in 2000. Langer / Martyb captain/vice captain combo if I recall. But he was pretty much spot on.

Was so into Cricket back in the day. These days I couldn't name you more then 2 or 3 Australian players in a lineup. Kids, old age, lost interest. Use to love this game, I think I got it free in a Weetbix pack.

Inside-Edge-Cricket-Magazine-March-2000.jpg

Last edited:

___

Juniors
Used to buy heaps of mags: MAD Magazine, Hot Metal, Empire, Metal Hammer, Circus, Revolver, NME, Rolling Stone, Mojo, Q, Juice.

Then there were the comics - I used to get The Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants and X-Factor and sometimes Excalibur...before the Jim Lee / Rob Liefeld explosion (I was there for Deadpool and Cable's arrivals!). Also like the Avengers back in the day. My Capt Marvel was a black woman... Then of course the early 90's comics boom saw multi covers, a dozen or more titles in each category and to much to read.

Used to get all the street press too like OTS - On The Street, Drum Media, 3D World and all the in-store magazines.

Used to collect the ARIA Top 50 chart religiously. And Hit Songwords and Smash Hits for lyrics.

I used to travel a lot, so would always buy 4-5 mags at the airport for the 24 hour trips.

These days, I don't read any of those.
I always used to read the MAD Magazines in the school library (I was lucky our school purchased them) so I was able to do that without spending any money. The Spy vs Spy comics were my favorite part.

___

Juniors
I use to like Hyper gaming mag with the demo discs and RLW of course (when it was quality in the 90s). I'm surprised Big League still has a print version. Skimmed through one the other day and it had maybe 3-4 pages of outdated news in it and a boring fluff piece, the rest was just team lists.
I used to read Hyper at school as well. I'm not sure if they're still in circulation though. I used to by PC Powerplay magazine. They also came with a CD with demos on it. Then I think in late 2002/early 2003 they changed their name to DVD Powerplay because they then came with a DVD instead of CD. They also used to distribute full version games as part of that - however those games were years old and weren't on the shelves anymore. I remember I got the Demo of ARL 96 on one of them.

axl rose

Bench
I used to read Hyper at school as well. I remember I got the Demo of ARL 96 on one of them.

Cant find much online, looks like they might be finished. ARL 96 had the best commentary especially Fatty, back when he was popular.

___

Juniors
I'm not much of a gamer, but I used to love getting share ware packs from Kmart.

Things like Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein.

LOL.

I lived on Lakers vs Celtics and the NBA Playoffs.

Yeah I remember I used to go to Go-Lo (remember that shop lol) and buy shareware games for $2. Games like Scorched Earth, Cyberdogs, Dark Wolf. Then my friends at school gave me some floppy disks with plenty of more modern games on them - Doom, Blake Stone, Halloween Harry, Bio Menace, Secret Agent... plenty of good memories.

I just looked up Dark Wolf on Google. I can't really remember what needed to be done but this was the game.

maxresdefault.jpg

fullsize

Last edited:
Yeah I remember I used to go to Go-Lo (remember that shop lol) and buy shareware games for $2. Games like Scorched Earth, Cyberdogs, Dark Wolf. Then my friends at school game me some floppy disks with plenty of more modern games on them - Doom, Blake Stone, Halloween Harry, Bio Menace, Secret Agent... plenty of good memories.

I just looked up Dark Wolf on Google. I can't really remember what needed to be done but this was the game.

maxresdefault.jpg

fullsize

Blake Stone was another one I played. The share ware was great. Once it got in to Diablo / Doom era games, I kind of phased out of PC gaming. Wasn't in to PS1 either. Was never really a Nintendo / Sega kid either. We had the Atari Lynx though as my dad preferred the colour lit screen to a Game Boy although I'd borrow my mate's GB to play.

I bought a Game Cube for Rogue Squadron 2 and 3. Then PS2 and PS3 for Lego Star Wars and the Lego games.

Again, not much of a gamer. These days I like Tetris or Yahtzee on a pad.

axl rose

Bench
I'm not much of a gamer, but I used to love getting shareware packs from Kmart.

Things like Duke Nukem and Wolfenstein.

Heretic, Hugos House of Horrors, Duke Nukem II, Major Stryker. I could never get Lakers vs Celtics to run due to a mouse driver error, 90s pc gaming problems eh. Getting a game for Christmas and it was a gamble if it would run on my 486 or not.

Something had to come before Resident Evil

hugos-house-of-horrors_1.gif

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
I always used to read the MAD Magazines in the school library (I was lucky our school purchased them) so I was able to do that without spending any money. The Spy vs Spy comics were my favorite part.

Spy vs Spy was good as was the back page where you folded it into 3to make a different picture to one that was there but what I liked best was the movie parodies.

486 was a mean rig, that was computer heaven.

I had an apple toaster thing to write my assignments on.

It was good at refusing to save anything.

I spent more time effing about with it than schoolwork.

Had a flight controller, the mummy and that game where you were a rat.

These days, with the right spell, a single rat can turn into a wmd and you can gas a whole solar system.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Definitely but people were not educated then. We all thought smoking was cool and tough. Packets of smokes were like 80 cents.

Lots of people used to drive home drunk after the pub after work which wasn’t very safe in cars that had Bench seats and no seat belts.

I remember my father often driving home drunk after work on a Friday night, I also remember him sometimes leaving me in the car if he went to the pub and leave you with a couple of comic books and bring out a lemonade, these days that would be reported as child abuse.

I also remember we used to visit friends out at Chifley when we lived in Paddington, we would get the bus out but they would drive us home, we would often stop along the Botany foreshore collecting sea shells, [that section is all gone because of the port now] but we would all get into their station wagon and all the kids would pile into the back section and would go sliding around every time they turned a corner, that was so much fun when you were a kid but in hind sight now so bloody dangerous.

Last time I bought a packet of smokes they were 75c, Marlboro Reds from the Kingsford newsagency.