What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replacing Packer...

Frank Facer

First Grade
In light of Millward's recruitment update today it seems we are looking to retain Mann and not replace Dugan.

It seems we are though "very active in the market" for a forward to replace Packer.

After a quick review of the off contract NRL prop forwards for 2018, these are the ones (in my order of preference) I feel are worth consideration...

Adam Blair

Nelson Asofa-Solomona

Sam Tagatese

Ignatius Paasi

Joe Ofahengaue

Jacob Lillyman

Discuss...
Of that list I would take Nelson Asofa-Solomona first and then Blair and then Tagatese.

Asofa would be a long term signing, while Blair and Tagatese would be short term signings. I think anyone of them would be good signings. I think it is imperative that we do sign one of the above mentioned props.

Crush

Coach
Crush,
At least the message has gotten through, even to you mate!
Some time in the future you will see the mess Millward has put the Club in. I knew at the time he was appointed that it would be a mess and I said so.
OK Messom, thanks for that.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Packer four year 3m deal tigers paid was way over his worth.
I have been watching him closely last few weeks and for the limited minutes he plays his intensity drops off and on.
Vaughn is the one.
I wouldn't be too upset over his loss if it was just him. But we also lose Duges.
On the short term Duges and for all his ball playing shortfalls is the one we'll miss. He is an inspirational player and every team needs one.
Maybe Hunt may fill that void?
People are kidding in this forum.

Packer should have been in a long term deal in our favor for the chance we took and we should have exercised that option before a ball was kicked this year.

We took all the risks and all the effort to return him to NRL and we left the door wide open for him to leave as soon as he started to show the glimpse of the talent we all knew he had.

Club management is just so dumb at the dragons - I hate dumb leadership.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If anyone thinks Saints will sign a like-for-like replacement for Packer, they are kidding themselves. McGregor's reappointment will hinder any such efforts.

Dragon66

Juniors
What do you think about James Graham? The Dogs need to offload a couple of players to resolve some salary cap issues apparently. He is a winner and a leader with experience. Maybe?

epDragon62

First Grade
What do you think about James Graham? The Dogs need to offload a couple of players to resolve some salary cap issues apparently. He is a winner and a leader with experience. Maybe?
He will be a Dog for the very reasons you mention.

possm

Coach
Of that list I would take Nelson Asofa-Solomona first and then Blair and then Tagatese.

Asofa would be a long term signing, while Blair and Tagatese would be short term signings. I think anyone of them would be good signings. I think it is imperative that we do sign one of the above mentioned props.

But none of these players would be a like for like or better replacement for Packer. Ah Mau, Kerr and Lawrie would really have to step up to mitigate the loss of Packer. More intense performance and more clever play.

For me Asofa would be the best buy mainly because from reading between the lines, Millward does not intend to pay big bucks for Packer's replacement.

Dragsters

First Grade
Can they fit both Myles and Kasiano in their cap ?

I heard they had one spare place in their 2017 squad for a mid season pick up (myles) and I know they are losing Tohu Harris next season so who knows.

It is the salary cap cheating experts we are talking about after all.

mobels

Juniors
No one off contract as a prop are worth any value what so ever to us, there all journeymen. However one player I see potentially getting an early release is Viliame Kikau, who would do excellent within our pack and be extremely cheap.

Kasiano's washed up at this point, wouldn't surprise me in the least if he fails at the Storm

monsterkev

Juniors
Why do we want an equivalent of packer
We should be looking for someone better as we are still not good enough now even with packer

Farrquarr

Juniors
No disrespect to packer but any prop taking a hit up after Vaughn plays the ball quickly makes them look better then they are.

Latest posts