What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
IMO the cricket test would have had a very minimal impact on viewing numbers for the RLWC final.

Any day of a cricket test match goes for approx. 7 hours as opposed to a 2 hour rugby league match. I can't imagine that anyone who was interested in the RLWC final wouldn't have flicked over to that when it started and flicked back to the cricket in breaks of play.
The fact it outrated the cricket is a positive in itself IMO, shows that people are interested in international footy, particularly given it was not on the regular broadcaster's channel.

Stallion

First Grade
The fact it outrated the cricket is a positive in itself IMO, shows that people are interested in international footy, particularly given it was not on the regular broadcaster's channel.

It is a positive. However a genuinely big and record breaking tv audience was no chance given the competition on this night. That's where rugby league loses out.

Dakink

Bench
Wonder how being on fox has affected the cricket numbers? What are the numbers for games?

Pommy

Coach
It is a positive. However a genuinely big and record breaking tv audience was no chance given the competition on this night. That's where rugby league loses out.

I don’t really understand what your problem is, scheduling conflicts are going to happen. It’s rugby leagues job to make sure people tune in to this sport nobody else’s

Stallion

First Grade
I don’t really understand what your problem is, scheduling conflicts are going to happen. It’s rugby leagues job to make sure people tune in to this sport nobody else’s

Perhaps proactive negotiations by the deemed organiser might have been an option leading into the tournament? Pretty sure scheduling is done with good lead times involved. Just a friendly arrangement to avoid such a clash would have benefitted the rugby league world cup I suggest. But such organising was not apparent for this particular rugby-league world cup.

Stallion

First Grade
Wonder how being on fox has affected the cricket numbers? What are the numbers for games?

One day cricket is significantly down on previous years. (this was mentioned in the Big Sports Breakfast Radio show this morning) The BBL is mostly simulcast so these ratings have been very good.

Pommy

Coach
Perhaps proactive negotiations by the deemed organiser might have been an option leading into the tournament? Pretty sure scheduling is done with good lead times involved. Just a friendly arrangement to avoid such a clash would have benefitted the rugby league world cup I suggest. But such organising was not apparent for this particular rugby-league world cup.

If Cricket have a day night test planned (which lasts 5 days) what’s the alternative? The TV slot had to work for England as well.

Stallion

First Grade
As I said it’s on Rugby League to get the punters watching not other sports to change their plans around.

So wouldn't you suggest due diligence by a deemed tournament organiser would identify such a clash? Most proactive organisers would work something out for such a clash to be averted. (This stopped any chance of record tv figures for this particular world cup ) If not they're not doing a good job!

Pommy

Coach
So wouldn't you suggest due diligence by a deemed tournament organiser would identify such a clash? Most proactive organisers would work something out for such a clash to be averted. (This stopped any chance of record tv figures for this particular world cup ) If not they're not doing a good job!

When were dates for both events announced? Perhaps the details of the cricket were announced later? Either way clashes are always going to occur.

The window for the tournament is pretty fixed by the end of the super league season and the need for players to get a break before they go back to pre season training and the start of the super league season again. Once you add in a camp before the tournament the dates end up being very compact.
If it was any other sport except cricket you could probably find a work around by switching between Saturday and Sunday but with it being a 5 day test there’s not much that can be done.

Stallion

First Grade
When were dates for both events announced? Perhaps the details of the cricket were announced later? Either way clashes are always going to occur.

The window for the tournament is pretty fixed by the end of the super league season and the need for players to get a break before they go back to pre season training and the start of the super league season again. Once you add in a camp before the tournament the dates end up being very compact.
If it was any other sport except cricket you could probably find a work around by switching between Saturday and Sunday but with it being a 5 day test there’s not much that can be done.

That's what proactive negotiations /organisers do! ? The Ashes was known four years prior to being played and I assume the Rugby league world cup had a similar lead time. A diligent tournament organiser would/should have seen this coming! It's not rocket science. Pretty sure if I'm an organiser of an event and a world class event I'd be pretty conversant of what's happening in and around my particular event. If I've noted a clash with something like a cricket Ashes tour day/night match I would have made proactive efforts to avert such a clash. That's what I regard as due diligence and appropriate for what was at stake. None of this due diligence occured.
Btw. A month prior to this occuring I noticed this clash with respects to tv audience. I suggest a diligent organiser would have been over this well before I've noticed this problem?

Pommy

Coach
That's what proactive negotiations /organisers do! ? The Ashes was known four years prior to being played and I assume the Rugby league world cup had a similar lead time. A diligent tournament organiser would/should have seen this coming! It's not rocket science. Pretty sure if I'm an organiser of an event and a world class event I'd be pretty conversant of what's happening in and around my particular event. If I've noted a clash with something like a cricket Ashes tour day/night match I would have made proactive efforts to avert such a clash. That's what I regard as due diligence and appropriate for what was at stake. None of this due diligence occured.
Btw. A month prior to this occuring I noticed this clash with respects to tv audience. I suggest a diligent organiser would have been over this well before I've noticed this problem?

Yes but what change do you make? How do you fix this problem? Don’t expect any favours from cricket as they owe rugby league nothing.

Stallion

First Grade
Yes but what change do you make? How do you fix this problem? Don’t expect any favours from cricket as they owe rugby league nothing.

That's why you have negotiations. The day/night test could have occured on a different date in another city? The day/night test could have been just a day test? These could have occured with proactive planning and negotiations.

Pommy

Coach
That's why you have negotiations. The day/night test could have occured on a different date in another city? The day/night test could have been just a day test? These could have occured with proactive planning and negotiations.

Why would cricket want to change? A two hour clash over a 5 day test isn’t going to bother them a great deal.
You have to remember this is all planned out with a tv audience on the other side of the world in mind. There could have been other TV sporting events in England that would have been a bigger clash.

Pommy

Coach
Anyway we’re going around in circles.
The positives are the World Cup was a great spectacle and gives a good foundation for future tournaments to work from. More people will be interested in 2021 because of 2017

Valheru

Coach

Disagree

I think the cricket would have had a negligible effect on the RLWC ratings. As I said in an earlier post, cricket goes for 7 hours on each day of play as opposed to 2 for a rugby league game. I can't imagine that anyone who was interested in the footy wouldn't have flicked to that when it started and checked the cricket score during ad breaks.

Stallion

First Grade
Why would cricket want to change? A two hour clash over a 5 day test isn’t going to bother them a great deal.
You have to remember this is all planned out with a tv audience on the other side of the world in mind. There could have been other TV sporting events in England that would have been a bigger clash.

If ever a tv audience clash should have been avoidedited it was this one! A rugby league world cup final with an Ashes cricket night session on tv at the same time! Pretty sure a bit of well meaning proactive negotiations could have easily had this Ashes test as day fixture? This then would have let viewers watch the cricket and the rugby league world cup. Given that international rugby league rates very well in England this would have been a much better outcome. However rugby-league had an AFL experienced tournament CEO/organiser and cricket coincidently opted for a day/night test match for that match on that weekend. Some proactive negotiations could have given both codes a better viewing audience! Especially the rugby league world cup final.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I still see no suggested remediation on this outside "proactive negotiations" which have limited scope when both organisations would have many stakeholders requiring input.

What would the alternative have been?

Stallion

First Grade
Disagree

I think the cricket would have had a negligible effect on the RLWC ratings. As I said in an earlier post, cricket goes for 7 hours on each day of play as opposed to 2 for a rugby league game. I can't imagine that anyone who was interested in the footy wouldn't have flicked to that when it started and checked the cricket score during ad breaks.

Plenty of Poms would have enjoyed both. The neutral sports fans especially. I also think the Aussie fans from outside of the rugby league states of NSW and QLD would be more likely to to tune in for the Rugby league world cup as well. Fans would have enjoyed the best of both sports events instead of having to.make a choice.