What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Pommy

Coach
Rugby league does need to concern itself with what it is doing. However being savvy enough to maximize a potentially greater tv audience is good business. This diligence was not carried out during or leading into the 2017 world cup. The guy responsible for such diligence (an AFL contractor ) quit and left the mess that eventuated a month prior to the tournament commencement.

But what could be done? You aren’t providing any solutions just saying something needed to be done.
The game was in December and the first super league game was on 1st February.
When you think players need a break and some pre season I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say the game couldn’t be postponed a week. The game also had to be played on a weekend night to allow a UK tv audience any chance of watching it live.
The only alternative I can see is that you try to compress the tournament with shorter breaks between games and bring the game forward a week. I don’t believe this would have been a good outcome as games played mid week wouldn’t have drawn well, before you even consider the impacts on player welfare.

Stallion

First Grade
But what could be done? You aren’t providing any solutions just saying something needed to be done.
The game was in December and the first super league game was on 1st February.
When you think players need a break and some pre season I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say the game couldn’t be postponed a week. The game also had to be played on a weekend night to allow a UK tv audience any chance of watching it live.
The only alternative I can see is that you try to compress the tournament with shorter breaks between games and bring the game forward a week. I don’t believe this would have been a good outcome as games played mid week wouldn’t have drawn well, before you even consider the impacts on player welfare.

I have clearly explained what could /should have been done. The incompetence (deliberate or not) was on the part of the tournament organiser. HIS JOB: HIS MISTAKE: And rugby league pays for it with a reduced tv audience for its pinnacle competition : It's World Cup ! Mind you a number of dubious city/town ground allocations and pricing policies were very questionable and proven failures during the tournament. So he quit with perhaps a knowledge a failure was on its way! Projected profit was $10million . It ended up.being a modest $6million for this tournament. It was a tournament that could /should have realised far more market penetration and financial turnover. Their was also marketing issues with various paraphernalia from various participating nations! Pretty sure people attending games could not buy supporter gear of a participating nation at grounds. It was a shambles and this guy flew the coup before it hit reality !

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
I have clearly explained what could /should have been done. The incompetence (deliberate or not) was on the part of the tournament organiser. HIS:HIS MISTAKE: And rugby league pays for it with a reduced tv audience for its pinnacle competition : It's World Cup ! Mind you a number of dubious city/town ground allocations and pricing policies were very questionable and proven failures during the tournament. So he quit with perhaps a knowledge a failure was on its way! Projected profit was $10million . It ended up.being a modest $6million for this tournament. It was a tournament that could /should have realised far more market penetration and financial turnover. Their was also marketing issues with various paraphernalia from various participating nations! Pretty sure people attending games could not buy supporter gear of a participating nation at grounds. It was a shambles and this guy flew the coup before it hit reality !

I must have missed it what you said should have been done could you please clarify what your idea was?
Aren’t nations responsible for providing gear to sell? England and Lebanon seemed to have plenty to sell at the game I went to.
Which games did you attend?

Stallion

First Grade
I must have missed it what you said should have been done could you please clarify what your idea was?
Aren’t nations responsible for providing gear to sell? England and Lebanon seemed to have plenty to sell at the game I went to.
Which games did you attend?

There was reports that many games had no supporter gear at them . But if you say that this was the relevant nations responsibility, I'll take your work on it. I would have loved to have seen the Kangaroos v ENGLAND in NSW but it wasn't to be!? Think that realised a 2/3 full stadium in Melbourne with exhorbitant ticket pricing just to compound the scheduling mistake. And there's more ........but we won't go into again. It's been discussed previously on another thread.

Pommy

Coach
There was reports that many games had no supporter gear at them . But if you say that this was the relevant nations responsibility, I'll take your work on it. I would have loved to have seen the Kangaroos v ENGLAND in NSW but it wasn't to be!? Think that realised a 2/3 full stadium in Melbourne with exhorbitant ticket pricing just to compound the scheduling mistake. And there's more ........but we won't go into again. It's been discussed previously on another thread.

So your complaining about lack of crowds but didn’t go to any games?

Stallion

First Grade
So your complaining about lack of crowds but didn’t go to any games?

Couldn't . Family commitments and the game I dearly wanted to see was not in NSW.Had the Kangaroos played England at the SFS or Newcastle on a Saturday (maybe the Friday) I would have attended. Otherwise not accessible nor appealing enough given the travel commitments for my young family.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Couldn't . Family commitments and the game I dearly wanted to see was not in NSW.Had the Kangaroos played England atv the SFS or Newcastle on a Saturday (maybe the Friday) I would have attended. Otherwise not accessible nor appealing enough given the travel commitments for my young family.

Biggest hypocrite on the internet, typical Aussie RL fan. If everything isn’t exactly how you want it you can’t be arsed.

Stallion

First Grade
Biggest hypocrite on the internet, typical Aussie RL fan. If everything isn’t exactly how you want it you can’t be arsed.

States the Devils advocate. I attend rugby league games when I can. My last game was the East v Souths final at the SFS. Where you there! ? It was a record attendance for any sports fixture at this venue! I suggest that had the Kangaroos been playing England at the SFS a 40000 plus crowd would have been there as well! But that won't be given a chance under current administration.

Pommy

Coach
States the Devils advocate. I attend rugby league games when I can. My last game was the East v Souths final at the SFS. Where you there! ? It was a record attendance for any sports fixture at this venue! I suggest that had the Kangaroos been playing England at the SFS a 40000 plus crowd would have been there as well! But that won't be given a chance under current administration.

Was I complaining about attendance numbers figures for that game though?
I actually would have gone but I had to go back to England for a funeral and was broke. I did go to plenty of normal season games being a ticketed member though.

Stallion

First Grade
Was I complaining about attendance numbers figures for that game though?
I actually would have gone but I had to go back to England for a funeral and was broke. I did go to plenty of normal season games being a ticketed member though.

You had a crack at my commitment and I had a crack back! Understand the funeral and financial issues for you. Just hope you afford me the same courtesy with family commitments and wanting to see a classic international match featuring the Kangaroos and England in my own state.

Valheru

Coach
Why wouldn't it have suited CA? Had proactive discussion occured and worked out a way of avoiding the audience split (which did occur ) both sports would have realised bigger viewership numbers I suggest. It's a fair call.

Because CA got far higher viewership for that test than they have for day tests previously.

Stallion

First Grade
Because CA got far higher viewership for that test than they have for day tests previously.

Any figures to back that up? And I also suggested with proactive arranging/negotiations a day/night test at another venue could have been arranged whilst having a day test match over this particular five days. My point being that this should have been avoided and due diligence was not part of the world cup.scheduling for certain and the coincidence of this day/night test clash with a world cup final should have been avoided. Looks like no efforts were made in this regard. And I believe this should have been done well before the world cup and Ashes commenced. This did not happen. I'm asserting incompetence from the World cup organiser. And I'm sticking by it given his quick exit by resignation prior to the world cup.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
You had a crack at my commitment and I had a crack back! Understand the funeral and financial issues for you. Just hope you afford me the same courtesy with family commitments and wanting to see a classic international match featuring the Kangaroos and England in my own state.

But it’s not the same as you even said if it had been England you would have gone. The reason you didn’t go is because it was ‘only’ Lebanon. Just be honest in what you’re saying.

Pommy

Coach
Any figures to back that up? And I also suggested with proactive arranging/negotiations a day/night test at another venue could have been arranged whilst having a day test match over this particular five days. My point being that this should have been avoided and due diligence was not part of the world cup.scheduling for certain and the coincidence of this day/night test clash with a world cup final should have been avoided. Looks like no efforts were made in this regard. And I tv should have been done well before the world cup and Ashes commenced. This did not happen. I'm asserting incompetence from the World cup organiser. And I'm sticking by it given his quick exit by resignation prior to the world cup.

So let’s imagine CA say we’re not moving our 5 day night test for a 2 hour conflict. What did you want the World Cup organisers to change under that circumstance? For all any of us know that could be exactly what happened.

Stallion

First Grade
But it’s not the same as you even said if it had been England you would have gone. The reason you didn’t go is because it was ‘only’ Lebanon. Just be honest in what you’re saying.

I'd suggest that England v Kangaroos would've been an absolute sellout compared to the Lebanon v Kangaroos which ended up with a figure in the 20KS. And I was in Melbourne at the time when the Lebanon game was on. But yes. England v Kangaroos much more appealing than Lebanon v Kangaroos for certain!

Tommyturbo

Juniors
While the name rugby league works in pacific islands, nz, england and australia, i believe our sports name is biggest hinderance i don't see anyone banning gridiron. This is where problem lies yes its great to be kknown to be off shoot but its toll easy for rugby union to say where stealing there juniors players etc etc.

Stallion

First Grade
So let’s imagine CA say we’re not moving our 5 day night test for a 2 hour conflict. What did you want the World Cup organisers to change under that circumstance? For all any of us know that could be exactly what happened.

This should have been sorted proactively prior to the tournament! That's my point of concern.It was not. Perhaps reasoning that a day night test would impact both audiences could be used. And maybe some cross promotion involved to benefit both sports.

Stallion

First Grade
While the name rugby league works in pacific islands, nz, england and australia, i believe our sports name is biggest hinderance i don't see anyone banning gridiron. This is where problem lies yes its great to be kknown to be off shoot but its toll easy for rugby union to say where stealing there juniors players etc etc.

Thought about this dilemma. The same can happen in reverse . RUGBY LEAGUE is the best one to use . It has history and is at the moment the good looking little brother! Not many know about it though! Which is an issue. Thank God for egalitarian Australia! It was able to thrive given an even footing in most areas of society. (schools except for elite private -although elite private schools did take it up in Brisbane during the 1930s)

Pommy

Coach
This should have been sorted proactively prior to the tournament! That's my point of concern.It was not. Perhaps reasoning that a day night test would impact both audiences could be used. And maybe some cross promotion involved to benefit both sports.

How do you sort it though? If CA didn’t want to change what’s the alternative? You seem to think you have all the answers but aren’t sharing what they are

Tommyturbo

Juniors
Thought about this dilemma. The same can happen in reverse . RUGBY LEAGUE is the best one to use . It has history and is at the moment the good looking little brother! Not many know about it though! Which is an issue. Thank God for egalitarian Australia! It was able to thrive given an even footing in most areas of society. (schools except for elite private -although elite private schools did take it up in Brisbane during the 1930s)
True but lets talk about why our code had problems in russia, morrocco, uae, south africa and so on. Unfortunately we are seen as a copy cat.