What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Repression of rugby league : Information to share and discussion.

Pommy

Coach
Plenty of Poms would have enjoyed both. The neutral sports fans especially. I also think the Aussie fans from outside of the rugby league states of NSW and QLD would be more likely to to tune in for the Rugby league world cup as well. Fans would have enjoyed the best of both sports events instead of having to.make a choice.

Poms were not watching the ashes or rugby league World Cup final at that time of the day unless they are very dedicated to the sport. In which case they will still have watched or watched one delayed, in which case it really makes no difference.

Stallion

First Grade
I still see no suggested remediation on this outside "proactive negotiations" which have limited scope when both organisations would have many stakeholders requiring input.

What would the alternative have been?

A day test in Adelaide would have been a good outcome. Given the importance of the rugby league world cup I suggest some proactive negotiations avoiding such a clash should have occured. It didn't. So it's worth discussing so things like this don't happen again. To my eye the organiser of the 2017 world cup was incompetent. This organiser conveniently quit his post a month prior to the event. And the mess appeared for all to see in embarrassment and disappointment. Luckily the product "rugby league" held up its part of the deal! The footy was great ! But not as many to see this great sport as should have.

Stallion

First Grade
Poms were not watching the ashes or rugby league World Cup final at that time of the day unless they are very dedicated to the sport. In which case they will still have watched or watched one delayed, in which case it really makes no difference.

It does make a difference for tv ratings figures. Businesses look at raw figures. Especially international business I suggest.

Pommy

Coach
It does make a difference for tv ratings figures. Businesses look at raw figures. Especially international business I suggest.

Honestly the number would have been so small it’s not relevant and it was on the BBC sonthere would have been no advertising anyway.

Valheru

Coach
A day test in Adelaide would have been a good outcome. Given the importance of the rugby league world cup I suggest some proactive negotiations avoiding such a clash should have occured. It didn't. So it's worth discussing so things like this don't happen again. To my eye the organiser of the 2017 world cup was incompetent. This organiser conveniently quit his post a month prior to the event. And the mess appeared for all to see in embarrassment and disappointment. Luckily the product "rugby league" held up its part of the deal! The footy was great ! But not as many to see this great sport as should have.

Why on Earth would Cricket Australia have played the test during the day? The D/N test has in some ways reinvigorated the format in this country and is one of CA's biggest money spinners.

Summer has been the domain of cricket in this country for over 100 years and the dates for those tests were completely in line with when they are historically played. The specific test you are talking about was played 2-6 December and to give you context, the previous 5 ashes tests hosted by Adelaide were 5-9 December (2013), 3-7 December (2010), 1-5 December (2006), 21-25 November (2002), 11-15 December (1998) so it is completely normal for them to host a test during that time. Additionally D/N test cricket was played and hosted by Adelaide a full 2 years prior tot he RLWC so this was hardly a new phenomenon.

So to suggest that CA should have made any changes is quite frankly ridiculous. If anything it is rugby league that should have avoided the clash if they wanted to but as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, it actually had no real effect on viewing numbers.

Stallion

First Grade
Why on Earth would Cricket Australia have played the test during the day? The D/N test has in some ways reinvigorated the format in this country and is one of CA's biggest money spinners.

Summer has been the domain of cricket in this country for over 100 years and the dates for those tests were completely in line with when they are historically played. The specific test you are talking about was played 2-6 December and to give you context, the previous 5 ashes tests hosted by Adelaide were 5-9 December (2013), 3-7 December (2010), 1-5 December (2006), 21-25 November (2002), 11-15 December (1998) so it is completely normal for them to host a test during that time. Additionally D/N test cricket was played and hosted by Adelaide a full 2 years prior tot he RLWC so this was hardly a new phenomenon.

So to suggest that CA should have made any changes is quite frankly ridiculous. If anything it is rugby league that should have avoided the clash if they wanted to but as has been pointed out to you repeatedly, it actually had no real effect on viewing numbers.

Lol. Perhaps not? I'm stating a day test would have suited both sports. Apparently the day night test was not a raging success. So your point is mute.

Valheru

Coach
Lol. Perhaps not? I'm stating a day test would have suited both sports. Apparently the day night test was not a raging success. So your point is mute.

A day test wouldn't have suited CA so why would they do it for the sake of rugby league?

The D/N test was certainly a success as far as cricket attendance and ratings figures go.

Stallion

First Grade
A day test wouldn't have suited CA so why would they do it for the sake of rugby league?

The D/N test was certainly a success as far as cricket attendance and ratings figures go.

Why wouldn't it have suited CA? Had proactive discussion occured and worked out a way of avoiding the audience split (which did occur ) both sports would have realised bigger viewership numbers I suggest. It's a fair call.

Valheru

Coach
Why wouldn't it have suited CA? Had proactive discussion occured and worked out a way of avoiding the audience split (which did occur ) both sports would have realised bigger viewership numbers I suggest. It's a fair call.

I have already told you why

1. The adelaide test is historically hosted in that first week of december
2. D/N test cricket provides higher crowds and viewership and adelaide has been a pioneer venue for the concept.

I can promise you that the cricket test would have got less viewership if played during day time so why would they move it to suit rugby league?

Stallion

First Grade
I have already told you why

1. The adelaide test is historically hosted in that first week of december
2. D/N test cricket provides higher crowds and viewership and adelaide has been a pioneer venue for the concept.

I can promise you that the cricket test would have got less viewership if played during day time so why would they move it to suit rugby league?

Questionable? Your promise of higher viewership at night in direct competition with a rugby league world cup final ? I dissagree with that absolutely! We dissagree!

Springs09

Juniors
Questionable? Your promise of higher viewership at night in direct competition with a rugby league world cup final ? I dissagree with that absolutely! We dissagree!

You do know that tests are played over 5 days and moving the day-night test to a fully day test would have had to have moved all 5 days right? If they did in fact lose viewership for that one night that the RLWC Final was on it would not have been near the amount they would have lost by playing the other 4 days during daylight hours.

Stallion

First Grade
You do know that tests are played over 5 days and moving the day-night test to a fully day test would have had to have mo
ved all 5 days right? If they did in fact lose viewership for that one night that the RLWC Final was on it would not have been near the amount they would have lost by playing the other 4 days during daylight hours.

Still stand by the point that this particular test should have been negotiated to a more user friendly timeslot (daytime) for all concerned . It only meant a few hours of time adjustment. CA would have saved cash on lighting costs and both sports would have been enjoyed by an optimum audience. This did not happen and I believe it would have been a win/win compromise for both sports and fans.Still think it's fair idea!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The whole argument is moot because it didn't happen that way, but I still think it's utterly ludicrous to suggest Cricket Australia should somehow cooperate with RLWC organisers or vice versa. They were in competition for eyes and advertisers, and were on different networks.

I reckon 7 and RLWC would've been pretty happy with coming out on top there.

Stallion

First Grade
The whole argument is moot because it didn't happen that way, but I still think it's utterly ludicrous to suggest Cricket Australia should somehow cooperate with RLWC organisers or vice versa. They were in competition for eyes and advertisers, and were on different networks.

I reckon 7 and RLWC would've been pretty happy with coming out on top there.

Nevertheless the optimum tv viewing audience was not reached due to this time clash. It's a fair point !

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Nevertheless the optimum tv viewing audience was not reached due to this time clash. It's a fair point !
I don't think there are many programs that could ever claim to reach the 'optimum viewing audience'...

Stallion

First Grade
I don't think there are many programs that could ever claim to reach the 'optimum viewing audience'...

Lets put it this way: a likelihood of an increased audience. Their was a split in audience and rightly you point out that the world cup final got the bigger share. However with the time clash avoided, more viewers would have been achieved. It's a fair point.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Lets put it this way: a likelihood of an increased audience. Their was a split in audience and rightly point out that the world cup final got the bigger share. However with the time clash avoided more viewers would have been achieved. It's a fair point.

In the same vein you could claim had all other TV broadcasters been taken off air for the duration the audience would have been bigger.
League needs to worry about league and not what anyone else is doing, build it and they shall come.

Stallion

First Grade
In the same vein you could claim had all other TV broadcasters been taken off air for the duration the audience would have been bigger.
League needs to worry about league and not what anyone else is doing, build it and they shall come.

Rugby league does need to concern itself with what it is doing. However being savvy enough to maximize a potentially greater tv audience is good business. This diligence was not carried out during or leading into the 2017 world cup. The guy responsible for such diligence (an AFL contractor ) quit and left the mess that eventuated a month prior to the tournament commencement.

Latest posts