What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Respected toiler Tolar nears a ton with Knights

RHCP

Bench
At the start of the year I would've dropped Tolar for just about anybody. But you know what, he's earned his spot.

I'm a huge Faas fan, but why do we scapegoat the big ranga when he just about doubled Richie's runs and metres gained? In fact, on Monday night in a badly beaten side he made more metres/hitups than any other prop and second only to Eddy overall.

Tolar has been very very poor in the past but this year I think he's actually been pretty handy. He's been playing above his expectations and doesn't deserve to be derided or dropped, at least not right now.

perverse

Referee
we scapegoat Tolar because Richie has been carrying the team the past month.

Tolar couldn't carry the team if he turned into the Incredible Hulk... he'd still get tackled on the 5th or some such stupidity.

Yosh

Coach
we scapegoat Tolar because Richie has been carrying the team the past month.

Tolar couldn't carry the team if he turned into the Incredible Hulk... he'd still get tackled on the 5th or some such stupidity.

I think Kaufusi also deserves some credit:D

Joker's Wild

Coach
Average out Richies performances over the 2011 season and Id just about gaurantee he would at the very least equal if not better both Tolars and Kafusis metres gained stats combined.

Richie had a shit game by his standards, Tolar was close to his best.

RHCP

Bench
Average out Richies performances over the 2011 season and Id just about gaurantee he would at the very least equal if not better both Tolars and Kafusis metres gained stats combined.

Richie had a shit game by his standards, Tolar was close to his best.
Richie is undoubtedly in our top two props with Tui.

Some of the posts in this thread are very dated though and Tolar deserves credit where credit is due.

aqua_duck

Coach
Now that I think about it, Tolar is unfortunately a necessary evil. No reason why Ciraldo should be there

Big Tim

First Grade
Honestly mate, Cookie is our future, he has HUGE upside. But the hardest thing about NYC to NRL is the speed.

He will play lock, and be expected to play in the middle. I cant see that being successful for him at this point in the season.

I cant wait for him to make grade, but the business end of the season is not the time to do it.

perverse

Referee
it's not just the numbers that are better in richie vs. tolar. here's the spreadsheet i made up to figure out who our best forward "statistically" was last year. there is no science behind my formula, but it painted an interesting picture:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spr...VtVW9NMXRJeHc&authkey=CJXplcwE&hl=en_US#gid=0

the intangibles were just my opinion, but Richie ticks a lot of boxes that there just arn't any conventional numbers for. it's interesting to look at this spreadsheet 12 odd months on, actually. i wonder how the numbers stack up now? Eddy will certainly shoot up the ranks... and probably get bonus points in the "hits hard" category, lol.

just noting again that the scale of this is obviously not well thought out, maybe some people would weight the stats to have higher worth, etc. in fact, i'd be interested in fine tuning it for something i'm developing, if anyone has any input.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
Honestly mate, Cookie is our future, he has HUGE upside. But the hardest thing about NYC to NRL is the speed.

He will play lock, and be expected to play in the middle. I cant see that being successful for him at this point in the season.

I cant wait for him to make grade, but the business end of the season is not the time to do it.

Ethan Cook can play on the fringes, he's leading the NYC in offloads and creates alot around the fringes, abit like a Greg Bird. Look if we had Pato still here and Zeb fit, Cooky would be right down the pecking order but Ciraldo is beyond useless, in fact he's a liability, all he does is give away stupid penalties, miss crucial tackles and drop the ball, he doesn't have a single positive, shit D, shit attack, shit discipline, it's gotten to a point now that I honestly believe we wouldn't be any worse off playing with a 3 man bench

Big Tim

First Grade
Im not fighting for Cam, I try no to rip any of our players as they do something I never could, I am saying that now is a poor time to be bringing in an untested rookie back rower.