What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rest of NRL

Vic Mackey

Referee
Thought it might be good to have a thread to discuss other games/teams etc

First game was very round 1. Heaps of mistakes, whoever turned the ball over the least was going to win which they did. Souths were well on top early in the second half. Turned the ball over cheaply 3 times for 3 Manly tries. Overall a pretty average standard game. Souths issues from last year dont seem to have been fixed and looks like they could be in for a long year.

Second game Broncos were well off however Roosters were excellent. Biggest concern from Easts will be if Teddy and Keary can keep it up all year as theyve both been well below standard the last 2.

Really looking forward to some of the matchups this week. Interested to see how our round 2 opponents Canberra line up V Newcastle. Wouldnt mind Tapine and Timoko picking up short term injuries. The Storm/Panthers one should be an absolute cracker! Apparently Luai is a big chance of playing which will be good viewing for us.

Nutz

Bench
The Vegas games were surprisingly open and flowing. I though it would be a boring up the middle stuff due to to smaller field.
I thought the best player from the Manly game was Ben Trbojevic. I think this guy has finally nailed a starting spot.
For the Roosters, the game really suited Victor Radley, he and Teddy were superb.
I'm more focused now on how we have [WT] sorted out our lack of energy and resilience up the middle and on the edges. Players like Olakau'atu and Haas are going to destroy us.
Who in our forwards remotely resemble these type of players...
Manly........ Olakau'atu
Souths... .. Koloamatangi
Knights.. .. Frizell
Canberra.. Papali'i
Warriors... Fonua-Blake
Sharks...... Hamlin-Uele
Storm... Asofa-Solomona
Penrith...... Fisher-Harris
Eels........... Paulo
Dogs......... Kikau
Titans....... Fifita
Cowboys.. Taumalolo

There are a few on the list that you may disagree with or are aging but other teams usually replace them with similar game busters or already have them ready to step up.
Some teams like the Titans have about 3-4 enforcers.
WHO IS OUR ENFORCER?
Stefano, possibly a future top prop but lacks intimidation atm.
Twally, Hard worker, but that's it I'm afraid.
Seyfarth, solid workaholic but as intimidating as a butterfly.
Ah this is a waste of ink...we have noone!!!

simmo1

First Grade
Watching the Vegas game, sadly, I could see all four teams (even below their best) comfortably beating the Tigers.

Tiger Ted

Bench
The Vegas games were surprisingly open and flowing. I though it would be a boring up the middle stuff due to to smaller field.
I thought the best player from the Manly game was Ben Trbojevic. I think this guy has finally nailed a starting spot.
For the Roosters, the game really suited Victor Radley, he and Teddy were superb.
I'm more focused now on how we have [WT] sorted out our lack of energy and resilience up the middle and on the edges. Players like Olakau'atu and Haas are going to destroy us.
Manly........ Olakau'atu
Knights.. .. Frizell
Canberra.. Papali'i
Warriors... Fonua-Blake
Sharks...... Hamlin-Uele
Storm... Asofa-Solomona
Eels........... Paulo
Dogs......... Kikau
Titans....... Fifita
Cowboys.. Taumalolo

There are a few on the list that you may disagree with or are aging but other teams usually replace them with similar game busters or already have them ready to step up.
WHO IS OUR ENFORCER?
How can u not say manlys best player & the most outstanding player from both games was Brooks 😜.U obviously watched the match unlike the muppets working for news corp who are suddenly besotted in Brooks.Player ratings in y’days DT the clueless Fatima kdouh gave Brooks 8 pts which was more than what any other player received in that match.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Manly........ Olakau'atu
Knights.. .. Frizell
Canberra.. Papali'i
Warriors... Fonua-Blake
Sharks...... Hamlin-Uele
Storm... Asofa-Solomona
Eels........... Paulo
Dogs......... Kikau
Titans....... Fifita
Cowboys.. Taumalolo

WHO IS OUR ENFORCER?
The last time we played with energy & resilience for a prolonged period was when the turncoat Cleary was coach.Its been a huge bugbear of mine that the team as a whole hasn’t given a fk about having a real dig & earning there keep.Im hopeful this will change & they will finally be held accountable onlycoz Richo is running the show as he’s a proven winner who won’t suffer bludgers & mediocrity.

Nutz

Bench

First game was very round 1. Heaps of mistakes, whoever turned the ball over the least was going to win which they did. Souths were well on top early in the second half. Turned the ball over cheaply 3 times for 3 Manly tries. Overall a pretty average standard game. Souths issues from last year dont seem to have been fixed and looks like they could be in for a long year.

Second game Broncos were well off however Roosters were excellent. Biggest concern from Easts will be if Teddy and Keary can keep it up all year as theyve both been well below standard the last 2.

Really looking forward to some of the matchups this week. Interested to see how our round 2 opponents Canberra line up V Newcastle. Wouldnt mind Tapine and Timoko picking up short term injuries. The Storm/Panthers one should be an absolute cracker! Apparently Luai is a big chance of playing which will be good viewing for us.
Yeh I'm looking forward to seeing the benchmark of the NRL play, Storm v Panthers.
The Storm don't start the season too well and the losses of more key players will take it's momentary toll.
Also the Storm are the opposite and have the wood on the Pamfers in first up games.
My team to be the big improvers this year is the Titans. I'll be looking forward to watching them on Saturday especially their forward pack led by Fa'asuamaleaui and Fotuaika.
Their coach Des Hasler is going to put the polish on this team and has already showed his cunning by putting Brimson in the centres for more strike power.
I've said it too many times now but....a modern day centre is proving just as important as spine players. [fullback]
Fullbacks are the last line of D and are opportunity players where centres are involved in practically every attacking ball shift both as an attacker and as a defender. They often have to make split decisions in D and the quality of backline movements are based on the centres involvement.
The Titans are not at full strength, missing big Fifita and ellusive Jayden Campbell but should still be too good for the Dragons.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

RE: Manly, I still think without Turbo, they are not a top 8 side. Easts may be similar, as you suggest without Teddy.

On the Vegas games I thought the teams with the best 2 fullbacks played strong, and the other 2 were hot and cold, so no pressure on Bula hahaha

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Interesting results for R1 so far?
Drags and Raiders getting good wins.
The dogs losing again. Ciraldo will be feeling the heat.
The pennies losing again (2 in a row), are they a spent force hahaha

Nutz

Bench
It was obvious the Titans missed their injured stars but they should have played better.
Traditionally, the early rounds are a tipsters nightmare. A lot of outsiders get up.... unfortunately this doesn't apply to the WT :(
BUT you never know.

Tigerm

First Grade

Nutz

Bench
Cobbo's move into the centres is a good one. More involved and playing better.

Feel like outside the dolphins and the titans everyone else looked considerably better than us. Although they won well the Dragons were also nothing special.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Feel like outside the dolphins and the titans everyone else looked considerably better than us. Although they won well the Dragons were also nothing special.

the dragons played a bottom 4 team from last year missing their 3 best players. I’ve been pissing myself laughing at the absolute dick pulling the media is doing over Flanagan. They aren’t doing anything this year.

Tigerm

First Grade
R2-Dogs lose 25-6.
I reckon Ciraldo might be feeling it. It's probably him or Gus and I'm backing Gus.

Nutz

Bench
R2-Dogs lose 25-6.
I reckon Ciraldo might be feeling it. It's probably him or Gus and I'm backing Gus.
In the first half they looked good but overall they didn't have one of the best game managers in Rugby League..
Nicho!
Bulldogs halves of Burton and Hutchinson were not up to Nicho and Trindall std.