What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resting players before finals

Iamback

Coach
I think Kikau should come off the bench for a week or two. Needs form not a rest imo.

2 games left

Who are the ones that need a rest?

Yeo
Api
Kikau
Martin
Tago

Given Luai comes back round 25 and they will want him to find combinations.

Tago aside, The rest I would either not play this week. Or give less minutes to allow Luai to get some from with Api and Yeo especially

BxTom

Bench
Cleary mentioned post game they have a plan for resting guys the next two weeks. For the warriors id rest Api, Yeo and Dyl, maybe Kikau also since he hasnt quite been himself the last two weeks. I'd be tempted to play a stronger side against the cows to finish but would rest anyone carrying a knock. If there are none then give Leota a rest and play Api limited minutes again and maybe Yeo as well.
Good time to give Jenkins a run

betcats

Referee
If not Jenkins then give Turuva another run. I would definitely like to see Dyl get a week off. Dyl, Api and Yeo all need to get a week off, maybe Moses as well outside of them I am not to fussed with the rest they should be ok. Fish coming back off 2 weeks should be pretty fresh. Hopgood looked good last night and has been in great form at lock in cup plus Huth did well covering Yeo earlier in the year and with Kenny/Soni we have pretty good options to cover Dyl, Yeo and Api and still be a good chance against the warriors next week.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Next week is the game. NSW Cup with the bye,

Gives him 2 games before a potential week off and a week with Luai back before finals

I know injuries can happen at anytime to anyone, but there would be something very bitter about losing one of our best players like Edwards or Api to a season-ending injury in a game against the Warriors that means absolute nothing. Nth. Queensland is a much better opportunity to run out the full-strength team to solidify combinations and ensure fitness for those who need it (though I would not be playing that game at semi-final intensity).

maple_69

Bench
I'd just rest To'o, Tago and Yeo. Leota, Kikau, Sorenson, Fish, Edwards, May & Crichton have had a week off in the last month. Keep Kikau, Api & Martin's minutes to 50 or so a game, our edge forwards need some game time to pick up form.

Warriors: Edwards, May, Jenkins, Critta, Staines/Turuva, Salmon, SOS, Leota, Kenny, Fish, Smith, Martin, Eisenhuth, Api, Kikau, Leniu, Sorenson. Staines/Turuva

Cows; Full strength bar Cleary. Blow some rust off on the combinations.

Pantherjim.

Referee
I hope Ivan rests them and fields a reserve grade side for the last two rounds.

The minor premiership is ours and we’ve got nothing left to prove until the finals.

Fangs

Coach
I think next week rest a couple. Definately persist with the same spine but guys like Yeo and To'o can take it easy. And the following week play reserve grade as its a big trip and not great prep before the finals.

Sime_11

Juniors
rest everyone next week and go full strength as possible to the Cows.

Big target is to win week 1 to get the week break

if you rest guys in the cows game - players only played 1 game in about 3 weeks and could be off.

rest them v Warriors and have a big Panther (minor) Premiership Party on friday night :)

The yak

Juniors

if you rest guys in the cows game - players only played 1 game in about 3 weeks and could be off.

rest them v Warriors and have a big Panther (minor) Premiership Party on friday night :)

No parties! Did that in 1990 before the GF.

2 games left

Who are the ones that need a rest?

Yeo
Api
Kikau
Martin
Tago

Given Luai comes back round 25 and they will want him to find combinations.

Tago aside, The rest I would either not play this week. Or give less minutes to allow Luai to get some from with Api and Yeo especially
I’d also put To’o on the list.

If you are going to rest it should be this week for mine. If we win in the first week of the finals we get a week off then (so could be underdone come prelim) while we want to continue to dominate the cows (particularly as, if we beat them, we might host them at Penrith Park in the first week).

Iamback

Coach
I’d also put To’o on the list.

If you are going to rest it should be this week for mine. If we win in the first week of the finals we get a week off then (so could be underdone come prelim) while we want to continue to dominate the cows (particularly as, if we beat them, we might host them at Penrith Park in the first week).

A few people have said that. As you live in the UK you won't of seen this

He admits his form is down, Can he get that back with a freshen up or play through it? It is a tough one. I can see both sides to it

That is the best option. Give a rest to those needing it due to work load (e.g Yeo) and to any player that is carrying any niggles. That way you can give some of the fringe squad players a good run in first grade in case they are needed due to injuries or suspensions in the finals, whilst having a near full strength squad in Round 25 against the Cowboys as a good tune up for the finals.

BuddPanther

Juniors
Rd25
Turuva / Staines
May
Chrichton
Jenkins
Staines / Turuva
Luai
SOS
Fish
Luke
Eisenhuth
Smith
Kikau
Hopgood

Kenny
Salmon
Sorenson
Leniu

Resting…. Dyl, To’o, Tago, Yeo, Martin, Api, Leota
Cleary still resting up (wow 8 great players)

And still be too good for the Cows

forby

Juniors
Rd 25 is semi final week in KOE Cup. It would be terribly unfair to rip them apart to rest players against NQ.
If Newtown lose to the Dogs next week they would be minor premiers and you could take a few as they would have the week off.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Rd 25 is semi final week in KOE Cup. It would be terribly unfair to rip them apart to rest players against NQ.
If Newtown lose to the Dogs next week they would be minor premiers and you could take a few as they would have the week off.
What ever decision made has to be for first grade. NSW Cup means nothing overall and the Cup boys will understand