What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Return of gaz

gregstar

Referee
what separates inglis from spaz is defence.

homo erectus is just as punishing in defence as he is in attack.

mameimo

Juniors
Gaz deal unfair, Lockyer insists

Source: The Daily Telegraph

BRISBANE captain Darren Lockyer has branded Mark Gasnier's impending return to the Dragons as unfair, declaring that the centre should only be signed by a club that can afford to register him on a "market value" contract.

Although keen to welcome back his former Test teammate to the NRL, Lockyer insists it is against the spirit of the salary cap if St George Illawarra are allowed to snare Gasnier on a back-ended contract for just $50,000 this year.
The 28-year-old will be offered an extra $4000 in match payments for the rest of 2010 with the contract to be upgraded to $400,000 next season and $550,000, with possible additional third-party agreements in 2012.
Gasnier's return to the NRL is seen as a major boost to the code and would give the Dragons a significant edge in the hunt for the club's first premiership since 1979.
But Lockyer insists the deal should be blocked by the NRL.
"It's unfair if he is registered by the NRL as a St George Illawarra player on $50,000 for the rest of the season," Lockyer wrote in his column in The Courier Mail yesterday.
"If he wants to play in the NRL this season, let it be with a club which has room in the salary cap reflecting the quality of a player such as him giving service for more than half a season."
Lockyer says the back-ended deal was a cynical manipulation of the salary cap.
He also questioned the fairness, given the NRL's refusal to accept pay-cuts for Melbourne in the wake of the salary cap scandal.
"We have just gone down the path with the Storm salary cap dispute and the NRL are telling Melbourne that even if their players take a pay-cut they won't let the club play for competition points until they cut enough players to reflect a legitimate roster under the cap," he wrote.
"Mark being paid $50,000 to join the Dragons for the rest of the season, with his contract, you would have to surmise, being back-ended, is not how the salary cap is supposed to work.
"Either he is put in the system at what his market value can be fairly judged to be, or he can't play for the Dragons, a team who are already premiership favourites without him.
"There is some merit in market value being put on players to make the salary cap even more equitable across the clubs."
Lockyer's stance comes after NRL chief David Gallop this week welcomed news the former Origin and Test star was poised to end his two-season sojourn with French rugby.

Dragons greats John Raper, Mark Coyne, Wendell Sailor and Paul McGregor have led a chorus of former players and fans desperate to see Gasnier back in the red V, declaring him the X-factor in the the side's premiership quest.
Dragons captain Ben Hornby and rising utility Matt Prior, the only current players to weigh in, both hailed his return to Kogarah/Wollongong. Wayne Bennett has yet to comment, but is understood to be thrilled to have the St George junior close to signing.
The Dragons have no room in the cap to offer any more than the minimum base contract. Only the Broncos, Newcastle and Warriors could afford to land him for market value.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-lockyer-insists/story-e6frexnr-1225867028308

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
I agree with Smith and Thurston. Gasnier is every bit as good as Inglis when he's on his game.

When I see figures like 450k or 500k a season, I dont think I want Gaz anymore, he had to be more like 250k-350k a season (i.e. learnt his lesson from last time), the guy hasnt even played league for 2 years and he is coming in mid-season, the money he is asking might cripple the club for 2011 and 2012.

The money he is asking for is on par with the best players in the game, Hayne was 500k, Thursten is maybe 600k or so?

Gasnier on his day will win u the game, but he has plenty of injuries and days off his game, and he is not a play-maker.

Inglis >> Gasnier I feel, different styles, but Inglis is a collosus and Gasnier is fragile.

Dragons_#1

Bench
When I see figures like 450k or 500k a season, I dont think I want Gaz anymore, he had to be more like 250k-350k a season (i.e. learnt his lesson from last time), the guy hasnt even played league for 2 years and he is coming in mid-season, the money he is asking might cripple the club for 2011 and 2012.

The money he is asking for is on par with the best players in the game, Hayne was 500k, Thursten is maybe 600k or so?

Gasnier on his day will win u the game, but he has plenty of injuries and days off his game, and he is not a play-maker.

Inglis >> Gasnier I feel, different styles, but Inglis is a collosus and Gasnier is fragile.

Remember its 50K + 400K + 550K = 1mil over 3 season... 333k a yr... not to bad :)

j0nesy

Bench
Lockeyer is a deadset tool - this is exactly how the salary cap is supposed to work. By backending his contract in such a way the Dragons will be forced to let some good players go in 2011 & 2012. Clubs like Canterbury will be licking their lips. Besides which the precedent was set with Lote.

If this goes ahead it looks as if we are going to have a good crack at the title this year and perhaps next. After that it will be time to "rebuild".

TheRev

First Grade
BRISBANE captain Darren Lockyer has branded Mark Gasnier's impending return to the Dragons as unfair, declaring that the centre should only be signed by a club that can afford to register him on a "market value" contract.

I didn't like the article either, but I totally understand, if I supported another club id be filthy at the Dragons getting in a potential international for 50k, it does sound like it could open the system for abuse too.. but... its not that often that you have a high profile player changing 'back' to league mid-season.

Red'n'White

Juniors

Source: The Daily Telegraph

Although keen to welcome back his former Test teammate to the NRL, Lockyer insists it is against the spirit of the salary cap if St George Illawarra are allowed to snare Gasnier on a back-ended contract for just $50,000 this year.
The 28-year-old will be offered an extra $4000 in match payments for the rest of 2010 with the contract to be upgraded to $400,000 next season and $550,000, with possible additional third-party agreements in 2012.
Gasnier's return to the NRL is seen as a major boost to the code and would give the Dragons a significant edge in the hunt for the club's first premiership since 1979.
But Lockyer insists the deal should be blocked by the NRL.
"It's unfair if he is registered by the NRL as a St George Illawarra player on $50,000 for the rest of the season," Lockyer wrote in his column in The Courier Mail yesterday.
"If he wants to play in the NRL this season, let it be with a club which has room in the salary cap reflecting the quality of a player such as him giving service for more than half a season."
Lockyer says the back-ended deal was a cynical manipulation of the salary cap.
He also questioned the fairness, given the NRL's refusal to accept pay-cuts for Melbourne in the wake of the salary cap scandal.
"We have just gone down the path with the Storm salary cap dispute and the NRL are telling Melbourne that even if their players take a pay-cut they won't let the club play for competition points until they cut enough players to reflect a legitimate roster under the cap," he wrote.
"Mark being paid $50,000 to join the Dragons for the rest of the season, with his contract, you would have to surmise, being back-ended, is not how the salary cap is supposed to work.
"Either he is put in the system at what his market value can be fairly judged to be, or he can't play for the Dragons, a team who are already premiership favourites without him.
"There is some merit in market value being put on players to make the salary cap even more equitable across the clubs."
Lockyer's stance comes after NRL chief David Gallop this week welcomed news the former Origin and Test star was poised to end his two-season sojourn with French rugby.

Dragons greats John Raper, Mark Coyne, Wendell Sailor and Paul McGregor have led a chorus of former players and fans desperate to see Gasnier back in the red V, declaring him the X-factor in the the side's premiership quest.
Dragons captain Ben Hornby and rising utility Matt Prior, the only current players to weigh in, both hailed his return to Kogarah/Wollongong. Wayne Bennett has yet to comment, but is understood to be thrilled to have the St George junior close to signing.
The Dragons have no room in the cap to offer any more than the minimum base contract. Only the Broncos, Newcastle and Warriors could afford to land him for market value.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-lockyer-insists/story-e6frexnr-1225867028308

Didn't Ben Kennedy sign on at Manly for $1 when he returned a few years back.

Red'n'White

Juniors
Gaz can sign on for what ever he wants and could sign on for $1 if he wanted to. He may not want to play for anyone else.

j0nesy

Bench
I don't think he can sign for $1. Isn't there an award wage of $50K?

I can see things from the perspective of other clubs. However, they are being hypocritical in the extreme. This has been going on since the salary cap was introduced. They've just go their noses out of joint because the Dragons are doing so well without Gasnier. Fact is he wants to play for the Dragons and they are exploring all legitimate means of accomodating him. Unlike Melbourne who back ended most of their player salaries and the 'forgot' to release the appropriate players to accomodate the cap. HUGE difference.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Lockeyer is a deadset tool - this is exactly how the salary cap is supposed to work. By backending his contract in such a way the Dragons will be forced to let some good players go in 2011 & 2012. Clubs like Canterbury will be licking their lips. Besides which the precedent was set with Lote.

If this goes ahead it looks as if we are going to have a good crack at the title this year and perhaps next. After that it will be time to "rebuild".

Yep, lots of teams already do this to legally fit under the cap. It can work in a few ways. As you mentioned letting players go or losing them. Also, they already know players are leaving ( definitely Saffy ) & retiring
( probably Priddis ). I realise these 2 aren't on big money, but combined would be around $250K. The clubs are sweating on whether there will be any increase in the cap ( unlikely ) or changes to discounts ( long serving players / juniors ) for next season.

Saint Jack

Juniors
Locky thinks its unfair he goes to the Saints - but ... hang on ... its OK to go to a team with a bit more money - and guess who that is ... :)

saints4ever

First Grade
I know "the throat" is just having a whinge, but I really fail to see his point. We have the oppurtunity to snare Gaz for the rest of the year, say what, maximium 19 games (unlikely as he will no doubt be picked for origin if we lose game 1, btw can u believe that bellemy has even stated he is thinking about that:x), when he left he had a clause in his contract that if he ever came back to rugby league before 2012 he would be with us, if not we would have to be compensated very heavily by any team that got him. case closed, done and dusted for mine.
we have approached gallop and shubert to discuss ways that this can be done, so how is it not in the spirit of the salary cap?

RedVDave

First Grade
Lockyer did not find it so unfair when Tonie Carrol came out of retirement last year to play for them (assumably also on match payments/peanuts) and Darren Smith a few seasons before that.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In 2002, Langer came back from England and played one season with the Broncos. Any idea how much he was paid?

Throatie will probably say, "But Alfie is one of ours... that's different to Gasni... doh!"

Gaba

First Grade
In 2002, Langer came back from England and played one season with the Broncos. Any idea how much he was paid?

Throatie will probably say, "But Alfie is one of ours... that's different to Gasni... doh!"
:lol: