What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Revised Squad For The Final

Johns Magic

Referee
I am not sure if the selectors are allowed to bring in players from outside of the squad, but if they could then my team would be:

1. Gilchrist
2. Hayden
3. Ponting
4. Katich
5. Clarke
6. Symonds
7. Hussey
8. Harvey
9. Lee
10. Gillespie
11. Williams

With Hogg out of form and especially against the Indians, I wouldn't use him in the finals series, although I do think that Twizzle's point about the Indians having not seen him is a good one.

Also I think that In Timbo's team, there was perhaps one too many bowlers with Gillespie, Lee, Kasprowicz, Hogg, Harvey and Symonds- not to mention Katich and Clarke. Also, i was surprised at the omission of Williams, who's been on fire in this series, and leading the wicket-taking list.

Having Hussey in the team would add depth to the batting lineup, and he could serve the same purpose as Bevan did with the bat. Also, he is a handy medium-pacer.

I believe that Harvey has been a bit hard-done by this series by the fans. He has made a few decent knocks at the end of an innings averaging 17.4 this series at almost a run a ball, and has often come in with limited oppurtunities, whilst his bowling performances have been moderate, despite having to bowl to the Indian middle order batsmen at the death more than once. Personally I believe that he could handle himself in the team as just a bowler.

Anyway, this is just my opinion and feel free to lodge your own about my team.

PB

Bench
GoTheBears said:
Hayden
Gilchrist
Ponting
Martyn
Symonds
Clarke
Katich
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
Williams

Thats the team for sure. With Symonds/Clarke/katich able to rotate depending on the situation.

No need for Harvey enough bowlers already, and i am flexable on Katich or Hussey.

CyberKev

Staff member
Bichel is an honest workhorse, but he doesn't bring enough to the side and is old enough to overlook from here. He is right, however, to feel peeved at his treatment in comparison to other members of the Australian squad.

Kasper is a similar sort of bowler and can only be a stopgap option given his twilight years. If called upon, however, he will give 110% as always, and has a fine temperament and attitude.

When Williams is flavour of the month you know for sure that Australian bowling stocks are at a low ebb, which is pretty much the case for bowling across the globe atm.

Even allowing for this, I struggle to comprehend the romantic notions some people have about Bracken who is painfully average. Nicholson, while far from a superstar, would be preferable to the military medium and routine Bracken.

Unfortunately we don't have a standout young proposition like Pathan coming through, but hopefully this will change over the next couple of seasons.

CyberKev

The Colonel

Immortal
CyberKev said:
Unfortunately we don't have a standout young proposition like Pathan coming through, but hopefully this will change over the next couple of seasons.

Rofe, McDonald, Inness, Tait, Wright, Clark, Cleary, Wise, Edmondson, Downton.... there are quite a few if you have a look.

CyberKev

Staff member
Colonel Eel said:
CyberKev said:

Rofe, McDonald, Inness, Tait, Wright, Clark, Cleary, Wise, Edmondson, Downton.... there are quite a few if you have a look.

As always there are youngsters on the scene, but its daft to just toss around the name of every young bowler as if they're the next Lillee.

To this point, all of those names are nothing more than solid domestic bowlers who may or may not come on with time. None of them have shown anything remarkable to this point, however.

CyberKev

The Colonel

Immortal
And all they will ever be is solid domestic bowlers if Hohns, Border and Boon keep resurrecting careers. Kasprowicz has bowled well however Tait has been just as impressive in the domestic OD's and Rofe has been impressive in the Pura Cup as has Wright. McDonald and Clark have picked up some good hauls. Cleary was impressive against Zimbabwe for Aust. A.

But we'll probably just have to wait the eight or nine years until they deserve a spot right? :roll:

The Colonel

Immortal
Oswin said:
Bichel is not happy - and nor should he be but unfortunately the competition is intense and his figures haven't been at the required standard.

http://dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story.jsp?sectionid=1264&storyid=846187

Though the form of Martyun and Lee has not been up to scratch for the majority of the tournament. Double standards in this case. I think we could do with a new commentary team - Boon, Border and Hohns - as they are out of touch as far as selectors go.

Anonymous

Juniors
Though the form of Martyun and Lee has not been up to scratch for the majority of the tournament. Double standards in this case.

No, that's not double standards.

Martyn and Lee have excellent ODI records to fall back on. The records prove that they are good ODI players. There is no similar proof with Bichel.

CyberKev

Staff member
Colonel Eel said:
But we'll probably just have to wait the eight or nine years until they deserve a spot right? :roll:

Now you're mischeviously misrepresenting my comments...

I'd be running with younger bowlers atm were it my choice. Clearly the Australian selectors feel that more experience is preferable right now given the anaemic overall state of the nation's bowling stocks, but I think this is a negative approach.

While none of the young bowlers you mention has set the world alight to this point, they're unlikely to step-up to the required level unless given the chance to adjust to the top flight. History suggests that most of them won't amount to much, but you may be lucky enough to find a couple who respond well to the extra intensity of international cricket.

Kasper is better than the younger bowlers right now, hence his selection, but I agree with you that the selection isn't the most far-sighted and constructive that's ever been made.

CyberKev

The Colonel

Immortal
Seeing though that Kasper is likely to carry the drinks behind Gillespie, Williams and Lee wouldn't it have been of more benefit long term to have one of these kids drafted in for that purpose. Kasper's career over the past two or three years has been highlighted only in the fact that the Qld Reds were chasing him to play Union.

Doctor

Bench
Thierry Henry said:
Martyn and Lee have excellent ODI records to fall back on. The records prove that they are good ODI players. There is no similar proof with Bichel.

Exactly my point - what a shame my fellow country men and women are so forgetful of recent form, and overall career form. :?

I think Ian Harvey falls into the same category as Bichel - he too does not have an impressive overall career performance to rely on for selection. His bowling form has not been flash and his batting has not improved much on his average of 18 in international cricket.

Bichel's batting is actually better than his "all rounder" teammate - but neither has produced the goods with the ball this series.

Anonymous

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
Though the form of Martyun and Lee has not been up to scratch for the majority of the tournament. Double standards in this case.

No, that's not double standards.

Agree TH. I think the fact that Andy Bichel took 7/20 gets brought up way too much. Its like his only stat and it tends to keep him in the side.

It was like when Darren Lehmann was dropped around 2000/2001. Everybody kept saying that he hit the winning runs in the world cup, but how can that solely keep someone in a side :?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Earl said:
Yeah it will there names are Shaun Tait, Mark Cleary and Paul Rofe.

Tait, Rofe and Celary, got the crap smaked out of them by David Hussey and Brad Hodge last week. They made a ton each and the bowlers couldn't buy a wicket.

They are good emerging bowlers, but they are still doing their apprentiship.

Its alao a sign of our batting depth.

Latest posts