What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reynoldson update

strewth_mate

Bench
He'll actually probably do quite well at the Dragons. Might prove to be a better player, but that doesn't mean I'm not quite happy to have farked him off. Ta very much Kirk.

Spitty

Juniors
P.S Great clubmen always sue their club, common knowledge.

Kirk sueing the club in no where near as dog an act, as the club committed against him. Good on him and I'm sure the Knights will pay him in an out of court settlement, no level of RL would like this to go to court, it could set a dangerous precendent.

Wobbygong

First Grade
Knights 07 You're very much welcome to all of them the only one that was worth keeping was Naiqama but when you have Gasnier and Cooper in the centres that's a little hard.

Reynoldson cost us very little, Houston cost you more than he'll ever be worth.

Frederick

Staff member
Spitty said:
Kirk sueing the club in no where near as dog an act, as the club committed against him. Good on him and I'm sure the Knights will pay him in an out of court settlement, no level of RL would like this to go to court, it could set a dangerous precendent.
Umm, what exactly did the Knights do to him, other than not excercising the 4th year option in the contract? :?

Spitty said:

Can't agree with you mate.

The gravy train was well and truly derailed this year and he was the only player
that refused to move on.

macavity

Referee
Spitty said:

have some inside info you wish to share, spitty?

I have seen standard NRL contracts and am familiar with the Court's general approach to this type of dispute. Hell, ive even met Sir Laurence, the mediator who is looking after the mediation. Nice bloke.

IMO.... (and I have been wrong before)

The Knights will offer him something to go away. But if he presses and goes to Court he will be paying our costs, im pretty sure of that.

I severely doubt the Court would be willing to reach the conclusion that, in the sporting arena, contractual issues override the discretion of coaching staff to pick the best available team.

It is my understanding that due to the nature of the case it would not be the usual "objective" test but a "subjective" one that would be applied - namely he would have to prove that Smithy (as opposed to the "reasonable man" standard) refused to pick him solely, or largely, because of the contract issue.

Further, given his stats, his last performance, our relative health in the backrow and the discretion of the coach to 'look to the future'.... he would have to stand up and point the finger at one or more (ex) team mates, saying "I should have been picked before him"

who does he point the finger at there? international Steve Simpson? rising stars Cory Paterson and Zeb Taia? last-start MOM Jesse Royal?

good luck with that, Kirk....

Jono078

Referee
Apparently the Knights are set to offer him an undisclosed figure to finally f**k off and drop the whole court bullsh*t.

:x

strewth_mate

Bench
He didn't really draw any significant press in his first three years, except maybe some attention from disappointed Knights fans.

The only relevance he has is due to this year's fiasco. He approaches being a solid player, but might improve at another club - if the Dragons don't have a decent year though, it's probably PL for the guy.

MSKnight

Juniors
Wobbygong said:
Reynoldson cost us very little, Houston cost you more than he'll ever be worth.

He might not have cost much. He aint much either. His 28, will retire in a couple of years. You've pretty much swapped us for a kid with talent and future.

Hanscholo

Bench
Glad to see him move on for both parties. For StGeorge they can see merit in it so its a good buy, personaly i cant believe they can rationalise losing Houston and picking up Reynoldson but im not a RL coach.

As for the legalities i have no real idea. Like most businesses presented with the prospect of court im sure the Knights will put an offer out there that will be > than Kirk's wish for revenge but well under what we might have had to offer him to stay. It may come to blows however if any payment given to Kirk is deemed to come under the cap, clubs protect that cap space like a dog with a chop.

At least its on its way to being resolved, and we wont need to suffer anymore poor me campaigns funded by Newton Snr.

Spitty

Juniors
macavity said:
have some inside info you wish to share, spitty?

I have seen standard NRL contracts and am familiar with the Court's general approach to this type of dispute. Hell, ive even met Sir Laurence, the mediator who is looking after the mediation. Nice bloke.

IMO.... (and I have been wrong before)

The Knights will offer him something to go away. But if he presses and goes to Court he will be paying our costs, im pretty sure of that.

I severely doubt the Court would be willing to reach the conclusion that, in the sporting arena, contractual issues override the discretion of coaching staff to pick the best available team.

It is my understanding that due to the nature of the case it would not be the usual "objective" test but a "subjective" one that would be applied - namely he would have to prove that Smithy (as opposed to the "reasonable man" standard) refused to pick him solely, or largely, because of the contract issue.

Further, given his stats, his last performance, our relative health in the backrow and the discretion of the coach to 'look to the future'.... he would have to stand up and point the finger at one or more (ex) team mates, saying "I should have been picked before him"

who does he point the finger at there? international Steve Simpson? rising stars Cory Paterson and Zeb Taia? last-start MOM Jesse Royal?

good luck with that, Kirk....

Your legal argument is strong Macavity and one I can't compete with.

Accept, I never said I thought Kirk would win if it went to court. I'm saying that no level of RL would want it to go to court, "In case he won" and really putting our biases aside this a toss of the coin proposition.

otori

Juniors
In a move which polarised Knights fans and caused further unrest among already disgruntled teammates, Reynoldson fell one game short of his target as he became another high profile victim of coach Brian Smith's player purge. The dispute between player and club is yet to be settled.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22756373-23214,00.html

Seriously who are these fans that are supposedely polarised. Most of the people on this board are happy to see his back. I'm a journalism/business student at uni and you can't make stupid statements like this. Crappy journalism.

Stranger

Coach
This club used to be about the players and the fans... now its just about winning games... f**k you newcastle!

:sarcasm: