What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Richie William's future..

roosterman57

Juniors
sooperdooper said:
i honestly see nothing wrong with what richie has done....

deadset just sead anasta isnt the player he used to be..... now all the media are behind anasta etc. Anasta isnt the player he was, when he did play for Aus and NSW.

this isnt the first time richie has done something like this... he also showed disrespect to one of the most liked players in the NRL in Preston Camell when he stuck his finger up at him as he ran in for a try. And that was in his first NRL game, and sure he played well, but cmon he wasnt exactly making things good for him by acting the way he did.

phonetic

Juniors
Rugby League needs characters. Fans need people to hate.

You don't want 17 Alan Tongue's running out for you every weekend.

We need the Mark Riddell's, Willie Mason's etc etc, or our game will just get more sterile.

Nathan B

Juniors
roosterman57 said:
this isnt the first time richie has done something like this... he also showed disrespect to one of the most liked players in the NRL in Preston Camell when he stuck his finger up at him as he ran in for a try. And that was in his first NRL game, and sure he played well, but cmon he wasnt exactly making things good for him by acting the way he did.

Now, sticking your finger up at someone isn't needed in the game. That is disrespectful.

phonetic said:
Rugby League needs characters. Fans need people to hate.

You don't want 17 Alan Tongue's running out for you every weekend.

We need the Mark Riddell's, Willie Mason's etc etc, or our game will just get more sterile.

I agree we need characters. But being a loudmouthed jerk isnt possessing character and nor is throwing around statements that denigrate others in the interests of shallow self promotion such as Mundine & Williams want to do.

Tom Ace

Bench
Rockin Ronny said:
Fact: Mundine was sledged for mouthing off - and now he will be remembered as one of our great ambassadors in boxing - and rightly so.

I think it's great that a young bloke, self-confident, talks himself up. It beats the same old slack-jawed crap about "boys are looking forward to it - or boys did well etc etc".

I think Braith is pissed off because his ex is still such a BullDogs "supporter".

I got a feeling that tart would be the last thing on Anasta's mind considering he is with a chick that is 10 times better looking and isn't a sport groupie.

ShineDog

Juniors
Ice777 said:
I'm surprised it took so long for someone to pull the inevitable race card. Are people not allowed to comment on somebody of aboriginal desent making outlandish statements at the risk of being branded a racist? FFS stop being so precious, if you do the crime then do the time so to speak no matter what the colour of you skin.

My thoughts exactly!!!:eek:

ShineDog

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
What an absolute load of rubbish.

Both blokes have big mouths and are arrogant.

Mundine WASN'T better than Daley or Fittler. Arrogance is part and parcel of boxing so I take his more recent comments with a grain of salt.

Williams is not the player Anasta is, and he didn't play all over him, as his Father supposedly said.

It's called misplaced arrogance, and it's a sign of a family out of touch with the rest of the population.

Their "Aboriginality" has absolutely nothing to do with it. I've never seen anything like this from Blacklock, Campbell, Nagas, Chicka, Lyons, etc etc...

To true!

Rotten Rooster

Juniors
kooriguy said:
i aplaud williams why not talk yourself up there is nothing at all wrong with it, he has also made himself famous at the same time, he went from 'that new guy at dragons' to 'richie williams.'

and i dont believe colour has to do with it, he does remind me of mundine alot and thats a compliment, you go son.

Rubbish, any human being that needs to put down another to gain attention is a looser and thats Mundines character, Mundine is a looser even when he wins. He displays a very cheap character and his actions reflect his lack of education but MOST importantly he displays lack of life skills. Is and always will be a looser to all decent people.

williamsfan

Juniors
That comment that rick made about Braith wasn't meant as a SLUR. He said Braith was a good player but wan't as good as he was, Braith has played for the roosters for 2 yrs and has scored one try, Ricks played 6 games and scored 4 trys..

INTERVIEW WITH MUNDINE & RICKS FATHER

THE father of controversial St George Illawarra five-eighth Richie Williams has defended the 20-year-old from his hospital bed after suffering a heart attack following Wednesday's Anzac Day match.

Doug Williams, who has a history of heart problems, said that while he was angered by the backlash against his son for criticising the form of Roosters star Braith Anasta in Wednesday's Herald, the drama had nothing to do with his heart attack early yesterday morning.

Williams said his son had played "all over" his opposite, Anasta.

The development came as Anthony Mundine said St George Illawarra should get behind the 20-year-old's wearing his old No.6 jersey and predicted a bright future for the rookie playmaker.

"If Richie Williams believes in his talent and his ability the way that he does, then that's good," Mundine said. "I believe anyone can say what they want. I don't feel that any club or any structure should keep anyone from being themselves - that is what's lacking in the game and in Australian sport in general."

Since bursting on to the scene for the Dragons this season, Williams has been compared with Mundine - his idol - but his father insisted his son wasn't trying to emulate the former Origin star turned world champion boxer.

"Everyone says that he is trying to be Choc but that's rubbish. He's being Richie Williams," said Williams snr, who was taken to The Prince of Wales Hospital after complaining of chest pains at 2am.

"Why shouldn't Richie say what he feels? It is about time someone had the guts to open their mouth and say what's really going on in the game.

"He is confident, he wants to win the game, it is the blokes around him that aren't confident.

"You have all these fans and commentators bagging him but he is the only bloke at the Dragons trying to do things. Everyone is saying Braith played all over him, but the stats show you the real story, Richie played all over Braith."

During the game, Williams made more tackles, kicks, linebreaks and metres than Anasta but missed eight tackles to Anasta's three. The Roosters five-eighth also had two try-assists but Williams ran through Anasta on the way to a 70-metre break.

Dragons and Roosters fans yesterday vented their anger at Williams on talkback radio and internet forums, although some applauded his straight talking.

Mundine encouraged the pivot to continue to speak his mind and last night phoned the rookie playmaker to offer his support.

"Brownie [Dragons coach Nathan Brown] was like that with me, he used to say, 'Why are you saying this or saying that?'. But I love pressure, I thrive on pressure," Mundine said. "I used to do that to [Brad] Fittler and [Laurie] Daley, I told Daley he was running on old legs and I said about Fittler, 'Why pick him, I'll whip him'. If Richie believes in himself and his ability, then why not do that.

"He's not putting pressure on anyone else, more than anything it should fire his teammates up. He's showing them leadership and how competitive he is and how great he wants to be.

"I've watched him play a few times and I think he's going to be a great talent. As soon as he gets some more games under his belt and he becomes more comfortable, he'll be hard to stop.

"I just hope St George don't crack under the pressure of the media and the dictators that want to come down on the kid … they should get behind him, if anything."

Williams snr also said his son should ignore the criticism.

"I don't think Richie should shut his mouth about anything. He is not being cheeky, he is talking football and saying what's on his mind," he said.

"He wasn't sledging Braith, he said he was a good player who wasn't playing as good now as he has before. Richie has played six NRL games and scored four tries, Braith has played for the Roosters for two years and scored one."

Brown last night said club management and other Dragons players had spoken to Williams about his comments.

"They pointed out to him that they were inappropriate and not in the spirit of the game of rugby league," Brown said. "Richie understood and was appropriately sorry and assured us all he will be more thoughtful in the future."

Ron Jeremy

Coach
phonetic said:
You don't want 17 Alan Tongue's running out for you every weekend

f**k oath!!! Tongue is bloody terrible!

I didn't mind Choc's antics untill he took it too far when he suggested race had something to do with his rep career and his opinion on September 11, I lost respect for him there.

But he was a good player, on his day amazing.

Latest posts