What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart - New Eels coach

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So Kevin Moore's Dogs are having a cracking year this year, but Wayne Bennetts coaching performance at the Dragons really needs to be questioned.

Moore's spending spree has finally had time to settle in, and Bennett has definitely left the Dragons in shit state. Even last year they were on the decline.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't think anyone was suggesting not cutting an established coach like Stuart as much slack as he needs in his first year? :sarcasm:

An established coach that finished early at his last two clubs?

These are Eels fans we're talking about.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Ricky Stuart to coach Parramatta Eels for next three seasons

190021-ricky-stuart.jpg

Ricky Stuart will be coaching the Parramatta Eels in 2013. Picture: Sam Ruttyn Source: The Daily Telegraph

THIS is the moment Ricky Stuart officially became a Parramatta Eel.

The Daily Telegraph yesterday snapped these exclusive photographs of Stuart's manager, John Fordham, stitching up Stuart's deal with Parramatta chief executive Bob Bentley.
After a two-hour meeting, the pair emerged to declare that the final details of Stuart's contract had been approved and he would coach Parramatta for the next three seasons.
Nick Fordham, managing director of the Fordham Company, also attended the meeting inside Sydney's plush Sheraton on the Park at 11.30am yesterday.
Bryan Belling, from Middleton's law firm, was there to represent Parramatta, Anthony Jefferies from Gillis Delaney Lawyers attended for the Fordham Company, while Ben Weber from PricewaterhouseCoopers was there as Stuart's financial advisor.

Moments after this photo was taken, the group disappeared inside to a private room at the Elizabeth Street hotel.

John Fordham and Bob Bentley

191179-john-fordham-and-bob-bentley.jpg

Ricky Stuart's manager John Fordham meeting with Parramatta Eels boss Bob Bentley at Sheraton on the Park Hotel, Sydney. Picture: Craig Greenhill Source: The Daily Telegraph

It is understood that Stuart will sign the contract today and a media conference will be held at around 10am tomorrow.
"We needed to resolve and clarify a number of issues in the agreement, which was successfully done," John Fordham said.
"We only received the agreement the previous evening."
Fordham said Stuart is excited at the thought of coaching Parramatta.
"Ricky is inspired by the potential he will have at Parramatta," Fordham said. "He can't wait to get his hands dirty."
Stuart will formally take over as Parramatta coach in November.
His first major decision will be to appoint a new captain after the retirement of veteran Nathan Hindmarsh. Tim Mannah and Ben Smith are the leading contenders, along with Jarryd Hayne.
Stuart will also meet with NSWRL chief executive Geoff Carr to discuss the Blues' State of Origin coaching job.
There is still some chance that despite taking the coaching job at Parramatta, Stuart will retain the NSW position. But it is unlikely.
Stuart faces a tough task in bringing success back to Parramatta Stadium.Stephen Kearney finished his stint with just 10 wins from 42 matches in charge at the Eels. The team did not win back-to-back matches during his two-year tenure.
Steve Edge, a three-time premiership-winning captain at Parramatta, hailed the appointment of Stuart.
"Ricky is a winner," said Edge, who led Parramatta to grand final triumphs in 1981, 1982 and 1983.
"He will bring in a new culture and has the necessary experience to turn the club around.
"Ricky brings passion. What he has done for NSW has been fabulous. We haven't won but we're not far away. He is a great appointment."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/ricky-stuart-to-coach-parramatta-eels-for-next-three-seasons/story-e6frexnr-1226435192460

Eels Dude

Coach
Or how about cutting Stuart some slack if the team doesn't perform?

I don't give a f**k about Kearney - he's just another ex-Eels coach. I'm supporting Ricky Stuart next year. I reckon he's inheriting a squad that will have grown a lot this year, and next year they're ready for big things.

But if I'm wrong and they've learnt nothing and they're just as shit as this year then I won't be blaming Stuart.

#FiveYearPlan

I suppose only time will tell. I'm willing to and support Stuart too. But if you're praising Kearney still this time next year well there you go, and we can re-visit this in 12 months. No doubt ME will dig this thread up.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm particularly excited that Ricky and Kearney have combined to win 15 games from 66 attempts since 2009!!!

Surely one of them is "due"?? Looks like it wasn't SK, so I guess it's Sticky??

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Wins and losses are a simplistic way of looking at it. What we also need to look at is the building of the pyramid base, or something.

EELS300

Juniors
Waking up this morning hearing reports that Ricky Stuart has formally / officially signed last night has put an instant smile to my face.

I believe players now will almost be lining up to join our club (without paying massive overs) instead of players avoiding our great club.

I can't wait to see which players he will target and sign up (hopefully for starters a class Hooker).

Ricky will install discipline and passion back into our jersey. Haynes and Sandow won't know themselves. Their form will sky rocket.

I know there are a lot of disappointed Blues supporters but end of the day (maybe I'm wrong, as I love them both) my club comes first before my state.

Welcome Ricky Stuart and all the best mate.

Utey

Coach
Yep, I won't be getting overly excited until I see how well he fits into the club. I think he's the type of coach that will have impact here and kick some heads around in the front office.

Avenger

Immortal
Yep, I won't be getting overly excited until I see how well he fits into the club. I think he's the type of coach that will have impact here and kick some heads around in the front office.

For once I agree with my great mate, Utey.

Gronk

Staff member
Yes welcome Sticky. The Telecrap says this morning that contracts will be signed today and the formal presser Friday @ 11.00am.

Like when SK was appointed, I accept Sticky's appointment with an enthusiastic optimism.

I fear that it may be too late to sign any players of note, but at the very least I expect the 2013 squad to be committed and to play to their potential.

I also hope that the new coach has the drawing power to attract some decent players, however I am once bit twice shy as I thought the same with Kearney and the Kiwis.