What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart - New Eels coach

TheRam

Coach
Waking up this morning hearing reports that Ricky Stuart has formally / officially signed last night has put an instant smile to my face.

I believe players now will almost be lining up to join our club (without paying massive overs) instead of players avoiding our great club.

I can't wait to see which players he will target and sign up (hopefully for starters a class Hooker).

Ricky will install discipline and passion back into our jersey. Haynes and Sandow won't know themselves. Their form will sky rocket.

I know there are a lot of disappointed Blues supporters but end of the day (maybe I'm wrong, as I love them both) my club comes first before my state.

Welcome Ricky Stuart and all the best mate.

Obviously you are very young.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon his first big decision is whether he chases Jennings. As good as jennings is I don't think we him
need him with hoppa coming in 2014 in addition signing him could have a huge impact on our ability to strengthen our pack ( hopefully with hayne resigning we already have three backs on huge contracts). We also have some good backs with potential (Blair Morgan loco sio)

In my opinion if Stuart signs jenning he isnt interested in taking a long term approach to the team ( eg looking at juniors and signing players in positions which need to be strengthen) and is looking at instant success , which may be successful but can result in losing promising juniors or key players and periods when the side needs to rebuild

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
After seeing what he has done to other NRL clubs, I'm not too excited.

I thought SK was a good signing but look what happened.

Gronk

Staff member
If it's true that Jennings is on $600k, then we can spend that cash better on forwards.

emjaycee

Coach
In my opinion if Stuart signs jenning he isnt interested in taking a long term approach to the team ( eg looking at juniors and signing players in positions which need to be strength) and is looking at instant success , which may be successful but can result inlosing promising juniors or key players and periods when the side needs to rebuild

This is so true that it is actually funny.

We (the nutters that make up this forum of "supporters") have been constantly bagging our last 3 or 4 coaches for their shit recruitment of overpaid, under-performing stars and demanded their sacking (the coaches) when they have failed to immediately deliver quality signings and relied mainly on juniors developing through to NRL standard.

But we also demand instant success however development of juniors to the level needed to play consistent quality first grade takes time. Time that our demand for instant gratification doesn't allow for. PO'H, Rory, Morgan and many others are all players that we "can't wait' to see come through to first grade and yet we need to wait if they simply aren't ready yet.

So instead we sack/push another coach out the door because he didn't deliver the instant success we crave and hire someone who has potentially got the "power" to pull some major signings to us... but please, not at the cost of developing our juniors. :crazy: :crazy:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
After seeing what he has done to other NRL clubs, I'm not too excited.

I thought SK was a good signing but look what happened.

Yep but let's think positive. I am thinking Stuart did great things at the roosters 3 gf with one win is a huge effort no matter who build the side for him. And the down ward spiral at the roosters was Stuart's lack of coaching experience (which comes with time) on how to rebuild a side by when to know when a senior player should be moved on or a promising junior blooded. And finally he did get the sharks to equal first but a lack of resources made it very difficult to get the best out of the side.

That is my positive thinking

I welcome Ricky to the club. I hope Joshuatheeel's post above is correct about his previous tenures in the NRL, but I am not sold on it yet.

I give all new coaches 18 months to prove themselves. If in 18 months the club is in a better situation then we are now, then well and good, we then have to decide if we could have done more. If we are in the same position, well I don't even want to think about that right now.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This is so true that it is actually funny.

We (the nutters that make up this forum of "supporters") have been constantly bagging our last 3 or 4 coaches for their shit recruitment of overpaid, under-performing stars and demanded their sacking (the coaches) when they have failed to immediately deliver quality signings and relied mainly on juniors developing through to NRL standard.

But we also demand instant success however development of juniors to the level needed to play consistent quality first grade takes time. Time that our demand for instant gratification doesn't allow for. PO'H, Rory, Morgan and many others are all players that we "can't wait' to see come through to first grade and yet we need to wait if they simply aren't ready yet.

So instead we sack/push another coach out the door because he didn't deliver the instant success we crave and hire someone who has potentially got the "power" to pull some major signings to us... but please, not at the cost of developing our juniors. :crazy: :crazy:

Yeah agree with what you said. I was trying say, i hope Stuart doesn't try to get instant success by signing what ever big name player that is available but takes a bit of a strategic approach eg signing Jennings indicates to me he isn't thinking ahead (unless he is pretty cheap) as we are already well served with big name backs and some good young ones. Forwards is now where we want to spend some money

Latest posts