What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart - New Eels coach

Djay

Juniors
Back on topic.

As you's know I'm not a huge fan of Stuart but I'll accept that his our coach.

But there is no way in hell he can do both the origin job and coach Parra at the same time.

Come origin his mind will be elsehwere for a good 7-8 weeks if not more plus the bullshit before it and the hangover of it, we're in dire need of a good coach and that being piled on Stuart as well is a recipe for disaster in my opinion as it comes at a time of the season where it's really make or break IMO.

Thoughts?

Back on topic.

As you's know I'm not a huge fan of Stuart but I'll accept that his our coach.

But there is no way in hell he can do both the origin job and coach Parra at the same time.

Come origin his mind will be elsehwere for a good 7-8 weeks if not more plus the bullshit before it and the hangover of it, we're in dire need of a good coach and that being piled on Stuart as well is a recipe for disaster in my opinion as it comes at a time of the season where it's really make or break IMO.

Thoughts?

happy to be proved wrong ;-) but as far as i know all stuart is after is one more year of coaching origin as a trainer/mentor to ease in a new blues coach rather than throwing them in cold (especially seeing qld have 2 home games next year)
he has said in the past he would not try to do both club coaching and origin together for the reasons you describe

Parra

Referee
If we sign him and let him anywhere near Origin or any other role at all then the board is completely f**ked.

There is no way the board is that stupid. Time for NSW to find a new coach.

sheesh did you hear a word i said? he is not after a full time coaching job with origin just easing the new guy in thats all

NSW would be dumb to reverse their decision and not have a full time coach

Yeh, but who actually makes this decision, and who are they answerable to? The lines of accountability are pretty fractured. They might just redefine 'full time', and ask Ricky to have less sleep during Origin time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
happy to be proved wrong ;-) but as far as i know all stuart is after is one more year of coaching origin as a trainer/mentor to ease in a new blues coach rather than throwing them in cold (especially seeing qld have 2 home games next year)

I'd say he also doesn't want some other merkin to come in and win after all the work Stuart has put in.

If he establishes his system well as head coach, and has quality assistants, then the team shouldn't miss a beat while he's away with the Blues. It worked for Bellamy so why not Stuart? The Blues are going to get smashed anyway, so they shouldn't care if their coach is only involved for six weeks in the middle of the year.

Parra

Referee
Can't agree.

A club side needs a full time coach. I couldn't care less if the Blues never score another try if it means the Eels can win a premiership.

The importance of the two are poles apart. To paraphrase haynetrain Eels>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>blues

Djay

Juniors
I'd say he also doesn't want some other merkin to come in and win after all the work Stuart has put in.

If he establishes his system well as head coach, and has quality assistants, then the team shouldn't miss a beat while he's away with the Blues. It worked for Bellamy so why not Stuart? The Blues are going to get smashed anyway, so they shouldn't care if their coach is only involved for six weeks in the middle of the year.

We are not Melbourne and we are light years from being Melbourne and tactically Ricky Stuart is not Craig Bellamy. So no it will not work and if we let it happen I'll be pretty pissed off.

strider

Post Whore
we're not in a position to win a f'n premiership next year anyway - so let him do NSW stuff for 1 more year

If ricky being involved will help NSW beat those dirty f'n maroons, then f'n do it!!!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We are not Melbourne and we are light years from being Melbourne and tactically Ricky Stuart is not Craig Bellamy. So no it will not work and if we let it happen I'll be pretty pissed off.

We might not have a choice.

Popular perception is that the Eels will put the final nail in the coffin of Ricky's coaching career. We do that to coaches - this will be our sixth coach in eight years - and only Brian Smith is still coaching at club level.

We would have to give Ricky Stuart the keys to the leagues club to get him to come here. He'll get everything he wants, including concessions to his ego.

bartman

Immortal
we're not in a position to win a f'n premiership next year anyway - so let him do NSW stuff for 1 more year

If ricky being involved will help NSW beat those dirty f'n maroons, then f'n do it!!!!
Good point, we've been told we can't judge coaches in their first season at a club and that they're not responsible for the performance of a squad they inherit, so Ricky may as well have one more tilt with the Blues under those circumstances.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Good point, we've been told we can't judge coaches in their first season at a club and that they're not responsible for the performance of a squad they inherit, so Ricky may as well have one more tilt with the Blues under those circumstances.

That's true. The team's performance next year will be down to Kearney, just like 2011 was Anderson's and 2009 was all Hagan.

bartman

Immortal
That's true. The team's performance next year will be down to Kearney, just like 2011 was Anderson's and 2009 was all Hagan.
You forgot Arthur. The team's performance next year could just as easily be down to Brad Arthur's influence as head coach over these six matches (plus his input as assistant in the 20 months before that).

#thebestlaidtheoriessometimesdon'tstandup

Chipmunk

Coach

So Kevin Moore's Dogs are having a cracking year this year, but Wayne Bennetts coaching performance at the Dragons really needs to be questioned.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That sounds like a contingency clause for you to praise Kearney if Stuart gets us performing next year.

Or how about cutting Stuart some slack if the team doesn't perform?

I don't give a f**k about Kearney - he's just another ex-Eels coach. I'm supporting Ricky Stuart next year. I reckon he's inheriting a squad that will have grown a lot this year, and next year they're ready for big things.

But if I'm wrong and they've learnt nothing and they're just as shit as this year then I won't be blaming Stuart.

#FiveYearPlan

Latest posts