What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart - New Eels coach

Utey

Coach
Gotta feel for Tonga

Hopefully he can turn it around. Sounds like he's in a pretty dark place.

G

Meh, HTFU. I don't know if his intent was to blame Kearney for his poor form and injury run, but get back out there and train hard and come good.

84 Baby

Referee
did he learn from last year's state of origin when he went in with 2 props? I am just stating facts the guy made the semis 1 time in his last 5 year's of coaching.. He did not attract big names to the sharks so I am a realist here not whinging just stating facts
I don't know if you can say it was part of his plans, but this year's Sharks have a lot to thank Stuart for. Those long term Sharks (Gallen, et al) and their culture is of hard defence to crack which I believe Stuart was a part of instilling. Their issue back then up to last year was not one of them had an creative attacking bone in their bodies. They get Carney and boom they are a half chance of taking the title.

As I said I don't think you can credit Stuart for making the long term Sharks players and their club culture by essentially 'failing' to get a Carneyesque player in his tenure, and I was all for giving Kearney a fair go because the issues aren't a quick fix problem but he simply wasn't giving a positive vibe about the perceivable future, so the only option was Stuart or another largely untested coach. Those circumstances Stuart seems like a godsend

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Tim Mannah and Ben Smith are not inspirational enough to be captain,they don't do anything special during games that would fire up teammates

Jarryd Hayne has to be captain

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
After seeing what he has done to other NRL clubs, I'm not too excited.

I thought SK was a good signing but look what happened.
What s he done win a comp with Roosters and take and average Sharks team the semis, I ve seen worse records.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Tim Mannah and Ben Smith are not inspirational enough to be captain,they don't do anything special during games that would fire up teammates

Jarryd Hayne has to be captain

Was just about to post something about our future captain. I reckon Stuart will pick hayne - he knows how good he is and will try to motivate him to take his game to the next level (not that he has been playing bad he has been great ) what better way then making him captain.

Last edited:

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Was just about to post something about our future captain. I reckon Stuart will be hayne - he knows how good he is and will try to motivate him to take his game to the next level (not that he has been playing bad he has been great ) what better way then making him captain.

I think your right there fella,got the same feeling as you

Mr Pmatta

Juniors
did he learn from last year's state of origin when he went in with 2 props? I am just stating facts the guy made the semis 1 time in his last 5 year's of coaching.. He did not attract big names to the sharks so I am a realist here not whinging just stating facts
That was before he was Origin coach, f**k me, u dont think he has improved since???

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
This is so true that it is actually funny.

We (the nutters that make up this forum of "supporters") have been constantly bagging our last 3 or 4 coaches for their shit recruitment of overpaid, under-performing stars and demanded their sacking (the coaches) when they have failed to immediately deliver quality signings and relied mainly on juniors developing through to NRL standard.

But we also demand instant success however development of juniors to the level needed to play consistent quality first grade takes time. Time that our demand for instant gratification doesn't allow for. PO'H, Rory, Morgan and many others are all players that we "can't wait' to see come through to first grade and yet we need to wait if they simply aren't ready yet.

So instead we sack/push another coach out the door because he didn't deliver the instant success we crave and hire someone who has potentially got the "power" to pull some major signings to us... but please, not at the cost of developing our juniors. :crazy: :crazy:

Kearney was a fraud (sure, a nice guy but a fraud). All the talk about culture and structure was just that, talk. He wasn't up to the job & now he's gone (thank God). Get over it.

Ricky wouldn't have been my first choice but he is a HUGE improvement on Kearney. I am willing to give Ricky Stuart the benefit of the doubt. The Roosters were an aging side on the decline not long after winning the GF and the Sharks were a financial basket case. Let's see what he can do with a young side and a wealthy (if you believe the current mob) club. Welcome to the Eels, Ricky. I hope you brought your thick skin.

WOE

spiderdan

Bench
is that the origin game (2) where the blues won?