What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ricky Stuart - New Eels coach

lingard

Coach
We might not have a choice.

Popular perception is that the Eels will put the final nail in the coffin of Ricky's coaching career. We do that to coaches - this will be our sixth coach in eight years - and only Brian Smith is still coaching at club level.

We would have to give Ricky Stuart the keys to the leagues club to get him to come here. He'll get everything he wants, including concessions to his ego.

Rubbish. That`s your perception. You want to think there`s some sort of losing culture here. That`s fine, you`re allowed to think that. But I reckon it`s bullshit. All we need (just like any other club) is the right coach at the right time. Will Ricky Stuart be it? Dunno; but I hope so.

lingard

Coach
That's true. The team's performance next year will be down to Kearney, just like 2011 was Anderson's and 2009 was all Hagan.

Which, again, is your idea of things. I don`t necessarily agree. Could be some truth in it; might not be. I think it depends on the circumstances. I think sometimes a coach is successful or unsuccessful in their first year despite what the previous coach left them with.

lingard

Coach
Wins and losses are a simplistic way of looking at it. What we also need to look at is the building of the pyramid base, or something.

And the structure, M.E. Remember? Some players running down the middle, some down the right hand side, and some down the left hand side. Don`t forget that.

lingard

Coach
I reckon his first big decision is whether he chases Jennings. As good as jennings is I don't think we him
need him with hoppa coming in 2014 in addition signing him could have a huge impact on our ability to strengthen our pack ( hopefully with hayne resigning we already have three backs on huge contracts). We also have some good backs with potential (Blair Morgan loco sio)

In my opinion if Stuart signs jenning he isnt interested in taking a long term approach to the team ( eg looking at juniors and signing players in positions which need to be strengthen) and is looking at instant success , which may be successful but can result in losing promising juniors or key players and periods when the side needs to rebuild

With all due respect, Joshua, I`m looking forward to a bit of instant success. I think that is exactly what our club/brand/reputation/etc,etc, needs right now. Besides, if all this talk about Kearney`s 'foundations' and junior development and 'structures' is true, won`t the future take care of itself for a while? There`s nothing to worry about, mate. We`re in good hands. You`ll see.

Last edited:

Noise

Coach
With all due respect, Joshua, I`m looking forward to a bit of instant success. I think that is exactly what our club/brand/reputation/etc,etc, needs right now.

f**ken oath!

#whatkindofstupidmerkindoesntwanttobesuccessfulinthenextyearortwo

Wally21

Bench
For mine, I've never rated Stuart, thought he was a knob in fact. However, I can't argue with his passion. regardless of whether it is the right decision or not to sign him, I'm happy to put my prejudice aside and judge him on what he brings to the club. Hopefully, passion, a bit of mongrel and most importantly, some wins.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Yep, I won't be getting overly excited until I see how well he fits into the club. I think he's the type of coach that will have impact here and kick some heads around in the front office.
At least Des Hasler opened the door for Ricky to enter the Eels inner sanctum....

982375-des-hasler-dressing-room-blow-up.jpg

strider

Post Whore
yeah i've never been a ricky fan either

BUT for some reason i feel like this is a good move ... maybe wishful thinking???

I agree that he will hopefully inspire a bit of passion in the guys .... I don't think our team is that bad, we just have some major attitude problems.

I remember when ricky was coaching the roosters, luke rickettson turned into one angry mofo - i always used to say ricky had him on the angry pills .... I hope he has some angry pills for someone on our roster

Suitman

Post Whore
yeah i've never been a ricky fan either

BUT for some reason i feel like this is a good move ... maybe wishful thinking???

I agree that he will hopefully inspire a bit of passion in the guys .... I don't think our team is that bad, we just have some major attitude problems.

I remember when ricky was coaching the roosters, luke rickettson turned into one angry mofo - i always used to say ricky had him on the angry pills .... I hope he has some angry pills for someone on our roster

I like this post.

Suity

IFR33K

Coach
Not sure why there is so much hatred toward Stuart.

The man did guide the Roosters to 3 straight GF appearances. Not a simple task considering Gus failed to do anything of the like. IIRC it was stated that Murray had left the roosters in a bad state, thats why Gus was brought in as coaching director.

Some people to this day credit Gus for the success of the 02-04 roosters team. Ironically it the same mob that blame Stuart for the demise of that team :crazy:. Obviously the teams performances dropped off with the retirement of Fittler and the departure/aging of other stars. Surely the coaching director should be held accountable to a degree.

Stuart's tenure at the Sharks started off pretty good. Coming equal first with Melbourne and Manly was a huge achievement.

Continuous controversy and talk of bankruptcy made his task to difficult at the sharks. Yes he made some strange decisions, but which coach is flawless.

I believe Stuart can turn us around. We have a good young squad with great potential, and finally a coach with some runs on the board.

Bring on 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Rubbish. That`s your perception.

No it's the perception I see in comments on articles reporting Stuart to the Eels. It's also prevalent in the NRL general forum here.

You want to think there`s some sort of losing culture here.

I think it's more of a culture of laziness and giving up when things get tough.

That`s fine, you`re allowed to think that. But I reckon it`s bullshit. All we need (just like any other club) is the right coach at the right time. Will Ricky Stuart be it? Dunno; but I hope so.

I hope so too.

TheParraboy

Staff member
NSW Origin series win, 2 ashes series victories to Australia... and an eels premiership

I tell ya what 2013 is gonna be a great year

giddy up

Eels Dude

Coach
Not sure why there is so much hatred toward Stuart.

The man did guide the Roosters to 3 straight GF appearances. Not a simple task considering Gus failed to do anything of the like. IIRC it was stated that Murray had left the roosters in a bad state, thats why Gus was brought in as coaching director.

Some people to this day credit Gus for the success of the 02-04 roosters team. Ironically it the same mob that blame Stuart for the demise of that team :crazy:. Obviously the teams performances dropped off with the retirement of Fittler and the departure/aging of other stars. Surely the coaching director should be held accountable to a degree.

Stuart's tenure at the Sharks started off pretty good. Coming equal first with Melbourne and Manly was a huge achievement.

Continuous controversy and talk of bankruptcy made his task to difficult at the sharks. Yes he made some strange decisions, but which coach is flawless.

I believe Stuart can turn us around. We have a good young squad with great potential, and finally a coach with some runs on the board.

Bring on 2013.

Great post. I don't get the Stuart hatred either. He obviously has his negatives as a coach but he did well at the Roosters and doesn't really get enough credit for winning them their first premiership in nearly 30 years and also get them to 3 straight grand finals. Gould and Murray may have built the team, but neither could get them that elusive GF victory.

When he took over the Sharks they were a mess, yet in his first year he got them to have solid season where they missed the finals only because they lost a lot of close games (not dissimilar to us last year) and actually finished with better for and against than half the teams that made the finals. The following year they finished equal first, but after that off field dramas, behind the scenes rumours, and financial problems resulted in them falling back down to the bottom of the table.

Latest posts