What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Riley Brown?

• Thread starter Deleted member 10972
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10972

NBN New the other night said something about him signing to the Roosters? I haven't seen too much of him, looked a pretty average player TBH, but can you Knights fans tell me more about the bloke? I think he is coming to play as a back-up hooker/lock.

Ben

Bench
Captained Premier League, played a number of first grade games in a variety of positions. But hasn't done much to confirm that he is a genuine first grader. He could make it as a ballplaying lock but his defence at times just doesnt really cut it. Though he did score a rather impressive run-away try against the Sharks a couple of years back.

roopy

Referee
A change of club should do him good.
I think the worst thing for him has been that he has put his hand up to play all sorts of positions - centre, 5/8, lock, second row, hooker, even a few games at halfback - but he only has the skillset to be a good attacking lock.
He was a great junior as a lock, and has been fantastic at lock this year in PL - but every other position he has played in all grades he has struggled in.
At lock he roves around and does plenty of quality attacking work and a decent amount of defence.

Serc

First Grade
You do NOT want him as a backup hooker - Michael Young has been a significantly better fill in hooker than he has been so thats saying something. If Riley goes it will be a shame that he didn't get a crack at lock in FG, but its not like we've ever had the space for him there...

Spike

First Grade
Serg said:
but its not like we've ever had the space for him there...

I think we could have made some space for the rich tapestry of geniusation that is Reegan Tanner

Nuke

Staff member
I thought I heard a few weeks ago that Canterbury had signed Riley...?

Serc

First Grade
Well Tanner aside, in recent years we've had heaps of players who can play second row/lock who were considered to have it covered - eg Abes, Reyno, BK, Taia etc. In fact lock became almost an extra second rower when we had BK/Simmo/Abes/the dog/Reyno etc on our roster!

Stranger

Coach
Sorta bloke that when you find he has signed for your club you get pretty dissapointed....

aqua_duck

Coach
Nuke said:
I thought I heard a few weeks ago that Canterbury had signed Riley...?
apparently not. I've got a very good source who's close to steve folkes, and she's told me they haven't signed him

Spike

First Grade
How many times was he given the opportunity to play at lock in first grade compared to premier league which is he's best position?

The Devil

Bench
Well Brown has played a lot of his FG games off the bench.. and since we have no 80 minute locks, Brown probably has played a fair bit of lock