What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Dean Jones

Generalzod

Immortal
Apparently went for a run in Chennai got to his apartment and had a cardiac arrest Brett lee was in the apartment as well but unable to revive him. just heard this on Fox..
Geez very sad news when I heard it that he had died surely how can it it be I said to my wife the bloke was fit, very sad travel well Dean may you Rest In Peace.

Generalzod

Immortal
Hookesy died on my birthday, I remember my missus giving me shit because I was down in the dumps over Hookesy instead of being all c**k-a-hoop because it was my birthday. Sheilas just don't understand!
Geez my mother died the same day that Tony Greig died...

undertaker

Coach
Hookesy died on my birthday, I remember my missus giving me shit because I was down in the dumps over Hookesy instead of being all c**k-a-hoop because it was my birthday. Sheilas just don't understand!
I remember waking up on my birthday 5 years ago and saw an SMS from my sister saying Richie Benaud died.

I know he had a MARRRRRVELOUS innings to live to 84, hadn't been in the commentary box since the 2013 New Year's SCG test match, had been recovering from a car accident (which ruled him out of the 2013/14 Ashes and effectively ended any comeback to the commentary box) and battling skin cancer for a while, but needless to say that up until this year (with the COVID-19 lockdown restrictions NSW had during April), my birthday in 2015 would have to be the quietest I ever had. Didn't feel like doing much.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
What an awful year. Jones, much like Benny Elias in Rugby League, reinvented the game forever. RIP.

8057db2285e6e17984d2f3a55486d6a7ef892868

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Just adding to my previous post, I mean its so eerie that in all the cricket videos Ive watched during the week on Youtube or Facebook, most of them featured Dean Jones. His incident with Curtley Ambrose in 1993, his interview on Fox Cricket and playing for the World 11 against Australia, that's right against the Aussies. He got picked while still playing for Victoria. I find how it hard to believe about the shock news.

My condolences go out to his family and close friends.

463302_310x472.jpg

icewind

Juniors
Was always upset he was snubbed by selectors and retired before his time. Unfortunately history decided to repeat itself on a grander scale.

Have one of his books written in the mid 90s, "My call". The last part of the forward by beefy Botham says it all: "Now his time has come and I'm not the only one sorry to see him go."

Vale D.M Jones

Just adding to my previous post, I mean its so eerie that in all the cricket videos Ive watched during the week on Youtube or Facebook, most of them featured Dean Jones. His incident with Curtley Ambrose in 1993, his interview on Fox Cricket and playing for the World 11 against Australia, that's right against the Aussies. He got picked while still playing for Victoria. I find how it hard to believe about the shock news.

463302_310x472.jpg

I just watched his interview on Cricket Legends with Robert Craddock (on Kayo). Who introduced the episode... Max Walker, who we sadly lost in 2016.

undertaker

Coach

463302_310x472.jpg
Yep, I remember that century he scored for the World XI against Australia a few days after the 1996 World Cup Final. I'm surprised that match went ahead on very short notification, given all the players who flew in from the subcontinent to Melbourne for that one-off match after a long, grueling tournament in oppressive heat.

Forgot to mention, earlier that summer, Deano made a brief comeback out of retirement for Australia A (in the hope of making the 1996 World Cup squad) vs West Indies, and his rivalry with Curtly Ambrose was reignited. However, a dodgy LBW decision from umpire Ross Emerson brought an end to any chance of a position in the squad:

Could've done with Deano's experience in subcontinent conditions, as it was a waste having Michael Slater in the squad since he never ended up playing any of the World Cup matches.

undertaker

Coach
news.com.au is reporting that Binga was with him and performed CPR

https://www.news.com.au/sport/crick...9/news-story/d8eefb20fd90083118edc871ecc18840

Feel very sorry for Binga. For the rest of his life, he'll have those final moments of Deano's life permanently etched in his memory. There's absolutely no way he could ever forget an incident such as that. Less than 24 hours earlier, they would've been commentating, joking, laughing together, and it then just suddenly comes to an abrupt end at the moment you least expect....life can be very cruel.

In the interview he did with Crash Craddock, Jason Gillespie had a near identical experience when he was coaching Yorkshire in the UK. His father came over to visit him at his home and whilst he was helping him with something next to his car, Dizzy's dad collapsed from a sudden heart attack and died. CPR was of no avail.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
Oh f**k, terrible 59 :(

loved watching him play, everything he did was so intense, batting, running, fielding... one of the greatest odi bats ever... also loved watching Hadlee dismantling him in tests lol

great cricketer, seemed a goo bloke... far too young, so sad to hear this

Latest posts