What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP NRL

nick87

Coach
If he didn’t deliberately hit him early how is it a professional foul? It’s not a foul to deliberately tackle someone.

That’s the crux of my misunderstanding. I always thought a professional foul has to be for a deliberate act. I may be wrong but I can’t find it anywhere in the rules. Which makes me think it’s an interpretation.

it is a foul to tackle someone without the ball. It was a deliberate act.
His intent on this isnt relevant. the fact he didnt intend to tackle Papalii early has no bearing on the decision.

He collided with Papalii deliberately, in doing so he took Papalii out off the ball and in a try scoring situation.
That's a professional foul. Again, in determining a professional foul his intent is not relevant.

The only questions here to be asked are:

1. Did Cooper Cronk make deliberate contact with Josh Papalii?
Yes.

2. Did Cooper Cronk initiate that contact before Josh Papalii had the football?
Yes

3. Did this occur in a try scoring situation?
Yes

End of story.

Tommy Smith

Referee
This btw was the general response to the Vunivalu incident...

Screenshot_20191010-074259.jpg

Note the amount of likes. The touchie was a hero.

Where's the monument to Ben Cummins? Nowhere to be seen.

In its place we have "RIP NRL".

So just be honest guys. No one is outraged by a rough referee decision. You're all outraged that the Roosters benefited this time.

The vast majority of NRL fans have no issue with refs screwing up - because we know it's part of the game - they just want the teams they hate to be on the receiving end.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Cronk didn’t accidentally tackle papalii. Papalii is one of the best forwards in the comp at isolating a small bloke and running over the top of them

Bateman gets papalii one on one with Cronk with the goal line completely open. All papalii had to do was to beat Cronk and he was over

In a spooky coincidence Cronk hits papalii early and around his arms making sure it’s impossible for him to catch the ball.

It was our best play of probably the whole match. I think it’s incredibly likely we score if papalii gets a fair crack at it and Cronk just throws himself at papalii making it impossible for him to catch the ball

Can people explain how it’s not a professional foul. Do we need to be able to read Cronks mind here. He didn’t accidentally tackle papalii

Pete Cash

Post Whore
This btw was the general response to the Vunivalu incident...

View attachment 33625

Note the amount of likes. The touchie was a hero.

Where's the monument to Ben Cummins? Nowhere to be seen.

In its place we have "RIP NRL".

So just be honest guys. No one is outraged by a rough referee decision. You're all outraged that the Roosters benefited this time.

The vast majority of NRL fans have no issue with refs screwing up - because we know it's part of the game - they just want the teams they hate to be on the receiving end.

Roosters fans really proving that they are needy, insecure weirdos

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah but at the same time we didn't flood threads trying to say that Vuninvalu was out and the touchy got it right...

I think most Raiders fans can acknowledge that we had our opportunities and that debacle didn't cost us the game. But trying to defend these calls is a bit outrageous.

firechild

First Grade
That’s only because there wasn’t a flood of outrage to begin with. That’s because, you know, Storm lost.
And yet Storm fans didn't blow up nearly as much as Roosters fans despite them being beaten. Roosters fans are having a sook even though they won and the sin bin call was 100% correct.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Yeah but at the same time we didn't flood threads trying to say that Vuninvalu was out and the touchy got it right...

I think most Raiders fans can acknowledge that we had our opportunities and that debacle didn't cost us the game. But trying to defend these calls is a bit outrageous.
We're not defending the call to change the call.

Albeit as soon as Cummins waved 6 again too quickly, and wrongly, one of us was going to get f**ked. Naturally we're glad it wasn't us.

What we're disputing is that it cost the Raiders the game.

We're also pointing out that we got some rough calls too, but no one is outraged about them (the crucial Whitehead knock on CHANGED to a strip call by Cummins).

The only difference is that we were able to defend them where as Canberra couldn't, even when the bad call against you guys saw us get the ball on our 10m line.

nick87

Coach

That's it, isnt it?
We were all pretty open and clear about us acknowledging that it was a bad call that we benefited from. Didn't win us the game, mind you. We earned that win with incredible defence, and by taking our chances when they were presented to us.

I dont know why the roosters fans are hell bent on refusing to make the same sort of acknowledgment .

Tommy Smith

Referee
And yet Storm fans didn't blow up nearly as much as Roosters fans despite them being beaten. Roosters fans are having a sook even though they won and the sin bin call was 100% correct.
Sterlo thought it was 100% incorrect. Again, it was subjective and people I've heard talk about it in the media mostly think it was the wrong call.

And we're not whinging, merely debating. Isn't that the point of this forum?

Why must every alternate opinion put forward be deemed a whinge.

Nope. Storm fans knew it didn’t decide the game. The neutrals more than the Raiders fans, have blown up that Canberra were blatantly robbed. This naturally garners counter arguments from us. How dare we! The sooking is clearly coming from the other side of the debate.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Sterlo thought it was 100% incorrect. Again, it was subjective and people I've heard talk about it in the media mostly think it was the wrong call.

And we're not whinging, merely debating. Isn't that the point of this forum?

Why must every alternate opinion put forward be deemed a whinge.

Well you are a Pom and a roosters supporter so it’s pretty likely you are whinging

Tommy Smith

Referee
That's it, isnt it?
We were all pretty open and clear about us acknowledging that it was a bad call that we benefited from. Didn't win us the game, mind you. We earned that win with incredible defence, and by taking our chances when they were presented to us.

I dont know why the roosters fans are hell bent on refusing to make the same sort of acknowledgment .
I think we have.

The key difference is that eveyone could see that the Raiders earned their win over the Storm. The Storm weren't robbed at all.

But the narrative after the GF is that the Raiders were robbed. And that this is a tainted Premiership etc etc.

It's all nonsense. We earned that win with incredible defence followed by a devastating counter punch. It was Ali vs Forman. On the ropes for 6 rounds then bang.

I think the Raiders played an incredible game. It was Penrith 2003 esque from your guys. Only this time it was against a genuinely all time great side whose champion qualities shone through in the end.

That should have been the narrative. Just as Canberra deserved massive plaudits for their well earned win in Melbourne.

But no, instead we're in a thread titled "RIP NRL" because Canberra were robbed. And every newspaper went with the same.

Screenshot_20191010-085239.jpg

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I also like the myth that we didn’t look like scoring. You know like when Cronk illegally took Papalii on suspicion with not a roosters player with a chance of tackling him if he broke that tackle

In hindsight we should have just committed a professional foul in the lead up to that last try and trusted we could defend with 12 men for the ten minutes. Tries are at a premium in finals games. It’s a better option than letting a team get a roll on like that. Which is a sad indictment of the current game