What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP NRL

Quicksilver

Bench
no mate

what is confusing?

"hey, that call was wrong, here is what should happen"

the game is allowed to stop to correct calls

He corrected his call in this instance (to the correct one) and everyone is losing their minds!

Constantly going to the video and checking everything diminishes the endurance element of the game. I respect guys that can constantly run on tired legs.

I think people are being overly dramatic with the RIP type comments.

However, it’s extremely disappointing that the officials made such a blunder at such a crucial point of the game.

Such an awesome game has been marred by controversy.

Obviously referees and officials don’t try to make mistakes on purpose, but there is something fundamentally wrong with the process they are taking and the commission are struggling with how to deal with it.

They need a strong referees boss who can instil confidence into the officials. They can start with negating any perceived nepotism by getting rid of Bernard Sutton. It’s a pretty embarrassing set up at the moment.

I think we saw a ref who showed confidence to overturn an incorrect decision. Others lacking confidence may have let it go on hoping nothing comes from it? Correct decision in the end but sure, the process sucked

Quicksilver

Bench
I think we saw a ref who showed confidence to overturn an incorrect decision. Others lacking confidence may have let it go on hoping nothing comes from it? Correct decision in the end but sure, the process sucked

It’s pretty difficult to stop a human from shitting their pants in that situation.

Heart rate at about 180, 70 minutes of intense exercise, voices coming from everywhere, millimetre decision viewed at a distance of 20 meters

gitano

Juniors
Fade little Faiders, fade away,
On the big stage, you should not play,
Blame the refs, all the way to Batemans Bay,
Now for another 25 years,
Stay away.

The Cosmos have gone,
The Cannons doth too,
The Comets but a memory,
Now thou should go too.

The Gypsy he told,
In match day threads of old,
Now thou shalt take heed,
On the big stage your pants you've peed.

The Gypsy knows best,
As now Walt or Skeepe should attest,
Now you must enjoy,
Another lol courtesy of Teddy Boy,
As we show you the door,
For a quart century, or more.

Fin.

Credit: Ms Gypsy (collab)

no name

Coach
I think we saw a ref who was premature with his original call and then changed his call.

A big no no.

giphy.webp

bull rider

Juniors
It’s not enough that the cheating merkins get to just fly in the face of the salary cap, they get f**king hand balled a grand final win. They are a disgrace, the nrl is a disgrace the whole f**king shit show of a season was a disgrace. How do they expect us to keep showing up when this shit happens. I hate the raiders and Ricky Stuart is an enormous flog but I even have sympathy for them after that absolute abortion of a performance by the officials.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Can't wait to see more games where the ref changes his call midplay.....

Talk about amateur hour.

Wests is Best

Juniors
We have a lead referee and a pocket referee. All year, the pocket referee is always the lesser experienced or even an up and coming ref.
So we get to the big game, the showpiece, and of course we want to put our 2 "best" ref's on show. These ref's were each others rivals all year. What could go wrong with 2 big ego's holding a whistle on a massive stage?
Lets get back to basics. We only need 1 referee to referee a game of football.

taste2taste

Juniors
As Gallen said at the full time panel, in the 48th minute the raiders dropped the ball in the play the ball, the ref rules knock on, then changes his mind to a penalty, replays show it was a knock on.
On the next set of 6 on the back of the incorrect penalty Cronk is sinned binned.
Raiders copped a lucky break with those 2 game changing calls.
If the Roosters weren't down a man and gassed from all their defending they could have had that energy to put on 20pionts in the second half.

Last edited:

taste2taste

Juniors
If Raiders fans should blame anyone it should have been Joey Leiua.
Bombed a certain try by not passing to Rapana.
and
When the Roosters scored it was through a hole left in the defense line because Joey was slow getting back in position.

newyboy

Juniors
I was going for the Raiders. They have nothing to xomplain about if a ref qaa the dexising factor. They should have been better so it couldn't be an iasue.

PS: you were allowed to play with someone who shouldn't be in the NRL at all, your CCM winner.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Every fanbase is convinced that they were robbed in a Grand Final at some point.
Your mob still has the shits about 1989
Dragons are convinced they were robbed in 1996
Swings and roundabouts. There have been bigger howlers in grand finals before and there will be again, it's the nature of the sport. Funny shaped ball and funny shaped refs.

I feel for Raiders. 2 tries from 2 frankly bizarre incidents is tough to cop and no doubt if it was the other way we'd be pissed. On the other hand, not a single 'neutral' would give the slightest shit if Roosters got shafted.

Anyway- The refs didn't let a rookie score under the posts and the refs didn't send roosters 70m up field in one play. You've got to defend the bad bounces and take your chances when they come. Raiders didn't, Roosters did.

It had the makings of a great game so it's a pity we're talking about this instead.

Congrats to Raiders for making it this far and digging in for a serious fight. If there's any justice they'll get a second crack in the next few years.
To the neutral fans sooking - f**k up you sad merkin loser pissbabies.

No doubt the shittest take of the day is Manly fans claiming We wUz rObBeD in 2013. Christ almighty the delusion.

That's a pretty average rant.

The 'there's been worse' angle is always weak. Just because there's been worse doesn't make yesterday acceptable.

And yes, we would give a shit if the Roosters got shafted...or I would. Because it's the ongoing incompetence of the referees that we always said could decide a GF, and gee they did their best to do so.

You're right, the refs didn't do those things...but they did f**k things up royally.

But apparently anyone who points out the clearly atrocious refereeing is a sook (even without a dog in the fight) so ignore all the above, lest we be seen as pissbabies.

TheFrog

Coach
Are people now complaining when the refs get the calls right ?

Tedesco didn't touch the ball did he ?
Cummins thought he did and ruled accordingly. The Raiders were entitled to put the ball ingoal and try for a repeat set but that chance was denied. A decision made and communicated in the run of play should never ever be changed. It should be final, even if it is incorrect.

taste2taste

Juniors
Cummins thought he did and ruled accordingly. The Raiders were entitled to put the ball ingoal and try for a repeat set but that chance was denied. A decision made and communicated in the run of play should never ever be changed. It should be final, even if it is incorrect.

And if the raiders score off the next set of 6 what happens ? The refs ruin the game by getting the Tedesco call wrong.

Ultimately the right call was made, yes Wighton was denied the chance to put in a kick but they hadn't troubled the roosters all night so I doubt anything would have come of it.

The Raiders had all the ball and played against 12 man in the second half and couldn't score. The Raiders attack was the problem not a ref making that right call.