What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RIP Quentin Pongia

Wizardman

First Grade
Extremely sad day. A crucial member of the best rugby league club team that I've ever had the pleasure to witness in the 1994 side. He and John Lomax were the best front-row pairing on the planet at that time. From everything I hear, he seemed like an even better bloke...which is some achievement considering the motor he had on the field. RIP Quentin

Haffa

Such sad news. I trained at his place when he lived at Carina. He was such a genuinely nice bloke who took great pleasure in helping people improve their lives. He also took great pleasure in watching you limp out of the joint after some soul destroying workouts haha. I feel for his wife and kids. Taken way too soon.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Used to love the real battles between the kiwi, kangaroo and GB Lions packs back in them days and QP never took a backward step. RIP big fella.

nick87

Coach
The hardest of hard bastards. Those early 90's raiders teams get rightly lauded for their skill... but what is often over looked is that between Q and Lomax, they were as hard and tough as any up front. No one wanted to f**k with those boys

RIP Q.
f**k cancer.

hrundi99

First Grade
Bradley Clyde
Brent Todd
Brett Hetherington
Brett Mullins
Chris O'Sullivan
Craig Bellamy
David Barnhill
David Furner
David Westley
Dean Lance
Gary Belcher
Gary Coyne
Glenn Lazarus
Jason Croker
John Ferguson
Ken Nagas
Kevin Walters
Laurie Daley
Mal Meninga (c)
Matthew Wood
Nigel Gaffey
Noa Nadruku
Paul Martin
Paul Osborne
Phil Carey
Quentin Pongia
Ricky Stuart
Ruben Wiki
Steve Jackson
Steve Walters

Only 30 players are Raiders' GF winners. He's the first to pass away. RIP.

RIP Quentin.

He helped bring us back from the brink in 93 after the salary cap drama of the previous year.

He laid the platform for Kiwis success in the late 90's. He lead the way in victories over Aus in 97,98 & 99 and captained us to a 2-0 series win over GB in England (the 3rd test was drawn).

Andrew Johns said he was his most feared player in his book. He was shit scared of Quentin.

I collect signed Raiders cards from players of the 80s-90s. Quentin was one of the hardest to get. I have 1 signed card of him in a Raiders jersey, and 2 in the kiwis. I'll treasure them forever.

Grapple

Bench
Really touching to see how WIki, probably my favourite Kiwi player ever, and one of the hardest dudes to play the game to be so obviously hurt at the funeral. Brothers, no doubt.... RIP, Q. Too young.

Iafeta

Referee
Ruben is a good bloke. When Sonny Fai went missing he had retired, he came back from his personal holiday overseas with his family to help the search. And he was genuinely emotional.

I heard it was a great farewell for Q today. A lot of terrific speeches apparently.

Latest posts