What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rising Rabbitohs star Kirisome Auva'a in court after bashing a woman after a wedding

Flapper

First Grade
This could potentially end his career, he's no superstar and now most certainly damaged goods. Good on the NRL for allowing due process to occur and provide a punishment that wasn't in any way shape or form influenced by Phil Rothfield

Lambretta

First Grade
Playing professional sport for a living should be a privilege, not a right. Why let him back in the game at all? Same with someone like Russell Packer. Why should the NRL have any responsibility to these idiots? If they're convicted of a serious crime and do the time, good for them, hopefully they're rehabilitated and go on to live a happy, fulfilled life. But why give them an opportunity that thousands would give their left nut for? Off to live in the real world and get a job they're otherwise qualified for, like 99.9% of the population.

You touched on why. Because rehabilitation and forgiveness for those that prove themselves are one of the cornerstones of Western civilisation. Sport is part of this.

I was appalled at the players behaviour and to be honest his attitude since then (lying to the court, refusing to do the courses required etc) has been just as bad, but everyone deserves the chance to turn their lives around.

Football players lead a very priviledged existance and sometimes that can cause the people involved to have a very high opinion of themselves.

Look at Blake Ferguson for example. A dead set drop kick who was ordered to undergo counselling and refused. The result? No contract. Good descision by the NRL. I hope that more than a year out of the game has convinced him of what a priviledge he has and he comes back and plays and behaves decently towards other humans.

The same goes for Auva. He has behaved like a grade A dickwad, but he deserves the opportunity to turn his life around. By banning him for 9 months the NRL has done exactly that.

In the past players would get a slap on the wrist and everyone inside the club would forgive them their transgressions as long as they played well. We all knew it was bullshit, but their abilities often outweighed the clubs desire to punish them. Look at the way Souths treated him when he actually bashed the woman as a classic example of how clubs let themselves be blinded to the obvious.

The NRL has said NO MORE and I applaud them for it

The lad will have to undergo counselling and take courses in behaviour and alcohol use.

I hope during his year off he isn't allowed to train with the first grade team and he spends his time really understanding the gravitas of his actions.

El Diablo

Post Whore
You don't have to imagine, Gallop had plenty of chances to show how he reacted to violence against women. It was a hell of a lot stronger than this piss weak approach.

Remember Latu for the Sharks? punched a chick at a 7/11 and was promptly run out of the code. Had to change his f**king name and play in England.

How about Greg Bird? Sat out until court proceedings finished given the serious nature of the charges. Reinstated once he won his case on appeal.

Robert Lui? Banned for 12 months

He DID drop the ball on Cherrington, Inglis, and Gordon though.

Gallop didn't ban Lui until some bloke started a petition which then got picked up by media http://www.change.org/p/stand-against-an-nrl-that-accepts-violence-against-women

Danish

Referee
Gallop didn't ban Lui until some bloke started a petition which then got picked up by media http://www.change.org/p/stand-against-an-nrl-that-accepts-violence-against-women

Bullshit.

Lui was stood down from the day he PLEADED GUILTY (not after sentencing), then terms of his ban were announced a couple weeks later.

Funnily enough with the NRL banning him immediately after his guilty plea there was magically no adjournment of his case until the end of the season either.

He was also banned for longer than what this f**kwit will be.

typicalfan

Coach
Bullshit.

Lui was stood down from the day he PLEADED GUILTY (not after sentencing), then terms of his ban were announced a couple weeks later.

Funnily enough with the NRL banning him immediately after his guilty plea there was magically no adjournment of his case until the end of the season either.

How do you know, this guy may never play another first grade game.

Merdy33

Juniors
I haven't read every post here, but do people really believe that the only reason the NRL penalised Auva'a was because of Rothfield. Really? Sigh....

Like many of us, I was aware that he plead guilty at the time, but didn't think twice about the NRL leaving out a punishment until the court case was complete. I assume that the NRL would have sought legal advice on what they could do. Unlike some of you, I don't think Smith is stupid. Do you really think that he didn't know that it would not be a good look for this bloke to win a premiership? I'm guessing his hands were tied.

I satisfied myself by pointing out to anyone that I was watching a Souths game with that he plead guilty to the offence. It changed some attitudes towards him.

The punishment is appropriate, however in terms of something retrospective, I would also take his premiership ring back and delete his name from the official NRL records of playing in the GF.

Danish

Referee
And what do you think the NRL's legal position is on fining Gallen $50K for a tweet?

The fact they haven't even given this dickhead a monetary fine on top of his paltry suspension shows a huge amount of inconsistency

ek999

First Grade
Bullshit.

That was after he was convicted of assault for the second time, was banned from round 8 of the NRL season so hass a shorter ban the Auva'a's minimum 22 week ban and was sentenced the day he changed his plea to guilty but hey let's not get facts in the way of a good story

ek999

First Grade
And what do you think the NRL's legal position is on fining Gallen $50K for a tweet?

The fact they haven't even given this dickhead a monetary fine on top of his paltry suspension shows a huge amount of inconsistency

There was no legal ramifications for Gallen's actions so they could start the process for his punishment straight away as determined by the NRL's code of conduct and which is agreed to by the players through the RLPA. And without knowing any details of Auva'a's contract or if the Rabbitohs are even allowed to be paying him for the duration of his ban you can not determine the financial impact of his suspension. His contract could very well have clauses for matches played

Nice Beaver

First Grade

Do you know that his contract does not have some clause that adjusts his income based on a suspension for discipline reasons?

no name

Coach
You don't have to imagine, Gallop had plenty of chances to show how he reacted to violence against women. It was a hell of a lot stronger than this piss weak approach.

Remember Latu for the Sharks? punched a chick at a 7/11 and was promptly run out of the code. Had to change his f**king name and play in England.

How about Greg Bird? Sat out until court proceedings finished given the serious nature of the charges. Reinstated once he won his case on appeal.

Robert Lui? Banned for 12 months

He DID drop the ball on Cherrington, Inglis, and Gordon though

So it is still uncertain as to how Gallop would have reacted.

Whether or not this admins approach is right, it seems to have systems in place that will ensure consistency. Something that Gallop completely lacked.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Bullshit.

What Lui did was much much much worse.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If your boyfriend Gallen in the past hadn't: racially abused another player, intentially ripped out another players facial stitches, been banned for taking illegal substances and then act like a dickhead whilst on this drug suspension then he wouldn't have gotten such a big fine.

But of course, he's very conveniently depressed. Which is why he spent his time away from the game drinking, which is a depression inducing drug. :roll:
Yep, lucky he did not take a line a coke at a party.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
What Lui did was much much much worse.

There's no sliding scale here champ.

They both caused physical harm to a woman.

Both pieces of shit.

I will give you that given Lui did it TWICE he should not be playing in the NRL. But that's old mate Gallop who allowed that.

MrAnonymous

Bench

Why because he's supporting his mate ? None of us merkins no the real story, we are only hearing what the media is dribbling to us. How do we know she didn't start physically attacking him first ?

I'm not siding with the merkin, he deserves what he gets, he shouldn't of got him self in that situation in the first place.

But I guarantee she would of played a huge role in him going of his merkin.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Latest posts