What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rising Rabbitohs star Kirisome Auva'a in court after bashing a woman after a wedding

Card Shark

Immortal
I don't think a player has ever been suspended for yelling at his opponent

No but if he's that much of a hot-head, he will be baited into something more.

Anyway, time will tell.

I'd say McGuire will have a word in his ear to settle down a bit - it was quite a fired up game last night...semis must be approaching.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Just thought I'd share a story. I'll start by saying that although I like Auva as a player I agree with his suspension and also agree that guys like him and Ferguson deserve a second chance if they can prove they've turned their lives around.
So I'm watching this game with my father and my 8 year old niece. When Keary done his shoulder charged we argued about if he'd get suspended for 2 weeks, when isaac luke done his tackle I explained to my niece why he might get suspended for a few weeks. Late in the game when Auva was carrying on me and my father were discussing whether Auva was an idiot or not and I said 'if your going to be a hated player you might as well go all out with it, he is coming back from a 22 week suspension remember'
This immediately peaked my nieces interest
'How did he get suspended for 22 weeks?'
'Because he was charged with assault'
'Against which player?'
'No it wasn't against a player, it was against his girlfriend'
'But what's that got to do with rugby?'
'Well you can't have players doing the wrong thing off the field, makes the game look bad'
'Did he go to jail?'
'No he didn't go to jail'
'Well if he didn't go to jail why wouldn't they let him play?'
'Because what he did was wrong'
'But it's got nothing to do with rugby'
This little argument went on for about 5 minute, with an 8 year old girl defending Auva's right to play football. I was genuinely surprised how a kid sees the situation compared to adults.

Nice story, but the innocence of youth had us believing in Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy etc.

hutch

First Grade
He's done his time in the sidelines, whether it was long enough is debatable. What isn't debatable is that he carried on like a tool. For someone who is a 'changed person' and who should be grateful to be even playing footy again, surely he should have just gone about his business without acting like a wanker. Shows the type of person he is IMO!

Danish

Referee
Just thought I'd share a story. I'll start by saying that although I like Auva as a player I agree with his suspension and also agree that guys like him and Ferguson deserve a second chance if they can prove they've turned their lives around.
So I'm watching this game with my father and my 8 year old niece. When Keary done his shoulder charged we argued about if he'd get suspended for 2 weeks, when isaac luke done his tackle I explained to my niece why he might get suspended for a few weeks. Late in the game when Auva was carrying on me and my father were discussing whether Auva was an idiot or not and I said 'if your going to be a hated player you might as well go all out with it, he is coming back from a 22 week suspension remember'
'Against which player?'
'Well you can't have players doing the wrong thing off the field, makes the game look bad'
'Did he go to jail?'
This little argument went on for about 5 minute, with an 8 year old girl defending Auva's right to play football. I was genuinely surprised how a kid sees the situation compared to adults.

Your niece would sound like a dumbass if that story weren't a complete fabrication

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
'Against which player?'

'Did he go to jail?'

the highlighted two sentences are probably the most alarming part of your story.

if the story is a fabrication (which sounds to me like it is) you're trying to disassociate the fact that league players are public figures, and he brought the game into disrepute, hence the fact it has everything to do with rugby league..

but if the story is true, i'm alarmed that the young girl in question doesn't care that a muscle bound, professional athlete assaulted a female.

girls that age get scared when young boys pull their hair.. let alone the thought of a 'man' hitting a woman..

DiegoNT

First Grade
Your niece would sound like a dumbass if that story weren't a complete fabrication

Wow, really classy calling an 8 year old girl a dumbass
The moral of my story was that through a kids eyes, she couldn't understand why a player was punished so hard for something they done off field. Like someone else said kids still have an innocence to them and see things differently. Like they still believe in santa Claus and the easter bunny. I bet you think those kids are dumbasses to. One of The theories for suspending players for these off field incidences is that players are role models and kids look up to them, but In my nieces eyes she can see the difference between Auva the football player and Auva the person.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
In my nieces eyes she can see the difference between Auva the football player and Auva the person.

i judge someone on the person they are, not the talent they have.

eg. chris brown, talented singer & dancer. also a woman beater.

i don't rate his music because of this.

DiegoNT

First Grade
the highlighted two sentences are probably the most alarming part of your story.

if the story is a fabrication (which sounds to me like it is) you're trying to disassociate the fact that league players are public figures, and he brought the game into disrepute, hence the fact it has everything to do with rugby league..

but if the story is true, i'm alarmed that the young girl in question doesn't care that a muscle bound, professional athlete assaulted a female.

girls that age get scared when young boys pull their hair.. let alone the thought of a 'man' hitting a woman..

She did Care that Auva hit a girl, that's why she asked if he went to jail.

mxlegend99

Referee
The moral of my story was that through a kids eyes, she couldn't understand why a player was punished so hard for something they done off field. Like someone else said kids still have an innocence to them and see things differently. Like they still believe in santa Claus and the easter bunny. I bet you think those kids are dumbasses to. One of The theories for suspending players for these off field incidences is that players are role models and kids look up to them, but In my nieces eyes she can see the difference between Auva the football player and Auva the person.

The footy player looked like a braindead thug last night. Not too much different from the bloke who beat his missus up.

He looks like he has anger issues or gets off on picking on smaller and/or weaker people. Screaming in a fullbacks face because he put on a big hit on a tiny player... yeah he seems like he is a real class act on the field. If anything he has come back more violent and aggressive. I honestly don't remember him being that bad last year.

DiegoNT

First Grade
The footy player looked like a braindead thug last night. Not too much different from the bloke who beat his missus up.

He looks like he has anger issues or gets off on picking on smaller and/or weaker people. Screaming in a fullbacks face because he put on a big hit on a tiny player... yeah he seems like he is a real class act on the field. If anything he has come back more violent and aggressive. I honestly don't remember him being that bad last year.

Actually it's pretty consistent with how he played last year, he was always an up in your face aggressive centre in the Hodges mould, its just more noticeable now that he's one of the most hated players in the game

Danish

Referee

A dumbass is a dumbass, doesn't matter their age.

Whichever of your siblings created that kid are doing a real bang up job as a parent

betcats

Referee
His team gets a penalty so he runs over and starts yelling and pushing people when the ref calls him out for a chat he says "yeah but I was protecting my team mate" what the f**k are you protecting him from you just started the shit.

Anyway we need to start binning people for running in like that. It was embarrassing last night watching the ref have talks with players while the game was paused for 10 minutes.

carcharias

Immortal
he seems to pick on the weak.

Beats up women and then gives a bloke half his size (who had nowhere to run after picking up the ball ) a gob full .
Looked like a complete merkin.
Hope someone breaks his legs.

betcats

Referee
Actually it's pretty consistent with how he played last year, he was always an up in your face aggressive centre in the Hodges mould, its just more noticeable now that he's one of the most hated players in the game

He is a dropkick, f**k him.