What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rising Rabbitohs star Kirisome Auva'a in court after bashing a woman after a wedding

Jesus some of you people get carried away.

Sure, he pushed his ex missus. Yes that is unacceptable and even reprehensible but it's hardly something worth losing a career over.

To say that "he should never have been allowed to play again" is just an outright ridiculous statement that is so far removed from the real world that it's not even funny.

If Kirisome were a nobody working at some random company somewhere, he'd have barely missed a day of work. In fact, his boss and work mates would probably not have ever known what he had done.

It's not acceptable to push a Woman ever but he did it and he was punished more than any other common bloke would have been so it's time now to move on.

beave

Coach
I still dont know why players dont just go the stink.

Make a stand, you know the bloke you sit one on will either throw one back or some other idiot on the opposition will come in and throw one as well so both teams will be down a player at the end of it.

Sacrifice 10mins for the greater good I say.

adamkungl

Immortal
I still dont know why players dont just go the stink.

Make a stand, you know the bloke you sit one on will either throw one back or some other idiot on the opposition will come in and throw one as well so both teams will be down a player at the end of it.

Sacrifice 10mins for the greater good I say.

Yeah it doesnt make any sense to me. So many games are over by the 45 min mark and not even a plod Newie or Parra player will throw one.

And also, if you were fighting under the old rules, you were a good chance to get binned anyway!

I don't understand how fighting has actually been wiped out. Even in Ice Hockey which is known for fighting they still get binned.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Sure, he pushed his ex missus.

and then the rest..

He pushed her over, punched holes in walls at the home and swung her into a garage wall, fleeing before police arrived.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...ing-in-melbourne/story-fni0fee2-1226934747767

wonder if that wall he threw her into was brick or plasterboard?

like it or not, football players are high profile people - so their actions have impact on influencing others on what is right & wrong.

kids, women, the elderly or disabled people should not be attacked by men. period.

adamkungl

Immortal
I think his point was that he's being treated like he murdered someone. Yes it was a domestic assault, but it was on the lower end of severity and life ban talks are completely over the top.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think his point was that he's being treated like he murdered someone. Yes it was a domestic assault, but it was on the lower end of severity and life ban talks are completely over the top.

longer bans send the message that it's not okay to conduct domestic assaults..

yes, this one may have turned out 'ok' from a physical point of view, but i imagine the woman has emotional damage out of it..

and unfortunately the severe domestic cases that involve major injuries and murders generally start out from just simple ones at the lower end of the scale, and get worse from there..

adamkungl

Immortal
longer bans send the message that it's not okay to conduct domestic assaults..

yes, this one may have turned out 'ok' from a physical point of view, but i imagine the woman has emotional damage out of it..

and unfortunately the severe domestic cases that involve major injuries and murders generally start out from just simple ones at the lower end of the scale, and get worse from there..

I dont think people are really considering the consequences when they're throwing someone in a drunken jealous rage tbh. I don't think it would send any message whatsoever

come on mate.. you're smarter than that...

I wholeheartedly acknowledge that what he did was wrong.

My wife suffered severe domestic abuse in a previous relationship so I'm also fully aware of the emotional damage that comes from incidents such as this.

However... Kirisome went to court. His case was heard and he was handed a punishment that was seen as befitting his crime. On top of this, he was suspended from the NRL (his job) for the best part of 12 months.

During this time, he has completed many hours of therapy and has also volunteered to do work with DV organisations as well as fund raising.

Sure, he is a role model and they should be treated differently to the rest of the public. In this case, I argue that he certainly has been. If you did the same thing to your wife, you'd receive the same punishment from the court but you certainly wouldn't be suspended from your job for 12 months.

Calling for a lifetime ban is pure idiocy and you know it. Especially for what is a first offence and on the lower end of the scale. He has served his time and people need to get over it.

Now... Should he go and do the same thing or something similar again then he should have his papers stamped and be given his marching orders. You will get no argument from me there.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Calling for a lifetime ban is pure idiocy and you know it.

hardly. why should young kids go along and cheer for this guy? what kind of 'hero' is he?

your actions that you do in the 10,000 minutes spent off the field each week outweigh the actions in the 80 minutes you spend on it.

FTR, my stance is exactly the same on robert lui, and even the u/20s dragons player who was convicted earlier this year.

adamkungl

Immortal
hardly. why should young kids go along and cheer for this guy? what kind of 'hero' is he?

your actions that you do in the 10,000 minutes spent off the field each week outweigh the actions in the 80 minutes you spend on it.

Absolutely. But after serving whatever sentence for a low-mid range crime a person should be given a chance to redeem themselves. Should the 10 minutes he spent committing a crime define him for the rest of his life, if he attempts to redeem and improve himself?

Role models come in many different forms.

A bloke who makes a mistake in life, does his time, gets up and dusts himself off and goes again can be just as much a role model as a complete clean skin.

Look at Manu Ma'u. He is a perfect example.

wow.. the guy in that case study sounds like a real top notch guy..

three separate assault charges against women... beating up his wife twice, and his 24 year old daughter...

Yep. A real prick if ever there was one.

If ever a bloke deserved to be thrown on the scrap heap, it was him and yet he kept his job, in corrective services no less.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Absolutely. But after serving whatever sentence for a low-mid range crime a person should be given a chance to redeem themselves. Should the 10 minutes he spent committing a crime define him for the rest of his life, if he attempts to redeem and improve himself?

in my eyes, yes.

we are talking about a crime against a woman.. not a drunken pub fight against a loud mouthed yobbo or a low range drink driving charge.

Danish

Referee
Auva's suspension actually only amounted to about 15 weeks, not the "almost 12 months" nonsense being bandied about by DKOR.

He returned to league in round 17 in reserve grade, effectively missing 16 rounds of footy but with 1 bye for souths in those rounds making it only 15 games sat out.