What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL door shuts on bad boys

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seems the UK govt is doing something the SL refused to do and shut the door on NRL refuse being snapped up by English clubs:

http://giantsrl.dnsupdate.co.uk/latestNews/NewsArticle.asp?Index=2465
Huddersfield Giants regret to announce that Todd Carney has been refused visa clearance to the UK.

Commenting on the news Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis said “It is clearly a disappointment for Todd as he was looking forward to playing in Super League. His circumstances are well documented and we felt that on balance he would be unlikely not to be granted a visa however despite our best efforts his application has been rejected. We must now abide by the ruling and move forward accordingly.”

Hopefully players will now get the message that if they stuff up big time their RL careers are over!

Great news now maybe the little dirtbag might actually learn something now that his faced consequences, rather then being sent on a paid holiday for 12 months.

stuke

Bench
if the UK keep cracking down on visa regulations it may lead to some of our NRL 'stars' pulling their heads in, which can only be a good thing for our sport and competition.

badav

Bench
No matter what i can't feel sorry for Todd Carney. Many 22 year olds would do anything to have the opportunities that he had and even after all that special treatement he took it for granted and did his absolute best to screw things up.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I still wouldn't want Carney to go to Rugby Union, so would playing Rugby League in France now be an option for Carney?

I know the pay wouild not be great, but it would only be for one season and there are numerous NRL players that decide to go to France to play in their domestic comp, and they do get paid for it.

And does anyone know what the outcome would be in Carney signed to play for French clubs Catalans Dragons in SuperLeague or Tolouse in NL1? He would obviously have no problem playing games in France (provided he can get a French visa!) but as an his employee is French would he be barred from entering the UK for away games?

I applaud the stance taken by the UK Government. I wish the RFL was as tough in restricting so many foreigners in Super League!

beave

Coach
I honestly think it is funny as f$%k for Carney............might have paid him to have pulled his head in when he was in Canberra instead of being a little a$$clown...........theres those of us out there that would kill to have been giving the opportunuty and skills the little pr!ck had been given.

nz eagle

Juniors
I imagine he will want to come back to the nrl now, I wonder if he has a legal case against them deregistering him.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
How come New Ltd and the Daily Telecrap have't reported on this story? They usually love to play on even the most minor of controversy and are usually the first ones to lap it up.

The Herald has reported on it.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
Well everyone has to face their demons at some point, and hopefully he will but I don't think it's an issue that is funny or should be frowned upon by fans.

Jimmy The Judge

Juniors
I still wouldn't want Carney to go to Rugby Union, so would playing Rugby League in France now be an option for Carney?

I know the pay wouild not be great, but it would only be for one season and there are numerous NRL players that decide to go to France to play in their domestic comp, and they do get paid for it.

And does anyone know what the outcome would be in Carney signed to play for French clubs Catalans Dragons in SuperLeague or Tolouse in NL1? He would obviously have no problem playing games in France (provided he can get a French visa!) but as an his employee is French would he be barred from entering the UK for away games?

I applaud the stance taken by the UK Government. I wish the RFL was as tough in restricting so many foreigners in Super League!

This is a very very interesting point. I'm not sure that Les Catalans would want him - Kevin Walters may assume he's too much trouble and that he'll walk back to the NRL after one season anyway - but it would surely put the authoraties in an awkward position. The RFL and Super League obviously have no problem with him and as an employee of a French club I would have thought he'd be able to play in SL games based in the UK.

He's obviously trouble. Am I correct though in thinking his only 2 criminal convictions are for drink driving and then for failing to stop for the police whilst driving and still banned ?

When you consider the vermin and pond life which the UK allows in from all over the world on a permanent basis I find it strange he's been refused a 12 month working visa.

Rogue.9

Juniors
Now the UK option is out I say he will try to take the NRL to court to try & get his de-registration overturned. If he just took it on the chin & sat out for the year before looking for another club then I would have a bit more respect for him.
I wonder if Greg Bird is starting to get worried.

Chachi

Bench
If he can't get a visa to play in the ESL what makes anyone think that playing union or league in another country is an option?

Hopefully this is the kick in the arse he needs. It's not like the kid is a dangerous psycopath, he just needs to grow up and realise that acting like a braindead 12 year old when on the piss has real consequences.

Canard

Immortal
Yeh Im not sure the Visa process for France is easier, infact I would say it may be just as hard, if not harder.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is some suggestion it has more to do with not playing enough NRL 1st grade games last season to qualify rather than his convictions. Not sure if that is true though.

Loudstrat

Coach
SO let me get this straight. The NRL and possibly ESL will play hardball with a repeat offender, provided a club does so first?

And if the repeat offender's club doesn't act?

How does a sacked Reni Maitua differ from Bird and Carney? Does police matters play a part?