What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL in the West needs your help!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hi everyone, fresh on the back of a succesful email campaign to get the Reds in the Western Australia paper (we got a pre game and match report last week! Well done everyone) we need your help again.

Ch9 in Perth had a change of heart with a change of ownership this year. For the first time in a decade they have shown SOO at prime time, shown the Sunday game at 2pm and have supported the Reds with Tv adverts.

I don't know what has changed but this week they have pulled the game and put it back to a midnight slot and in its place put American wrestling!

Please send them an email expressing your disgust and encouraging them to get the NRL back on at a decent time. It will only take 30 seconds and could be the difference between the NRL being National one day.

Here is their contact and thanks in anticipation:

http://www.9perth.com.au/About/Contact-Us.aspx

T to the T

Juniors
Done, though I doubt they'd take a complaint from South Wales seriously so I have acquired a residency in Stirling, Perth (Better be a nice area!):sarcasm:

Papa_smurf

Juniors
Hi everyone, fresh on the back of a succesful email campaign to get the Reds in the Western Australia paper (we got a pre game and match report last week! Well done everyone) we need your help again.

Ch9 in Perth had a change of heart with a change of ownership this year. For the first time in a decade they have shown SOO at prime time, shown the Sunday game at 2pm and have supported the Reds with Tv adverts.

I don't know what has changed but this week they have pulled the game and put it back to a midnight slot and in its place put American wrestling!

Please send them an email expressing your disgust and encouraging them to get the NRL back on at a decent time. It will only take 30 seconds and could be the difference between the NRL being National one day.

Here is their contact and thanks in anticipation:

http://www.9perth.com.au/About/Contact-Us.aspx

when are these sort of threads gonna qualify as spam???

Nuke

Staff member
It's a fair thread in my opinion. I say that as a WA-based League supporter, but it is true. League in WA needs all the help it can get with Ch9, the printed media, all other sports, and (it seems) the NRL all against us.

brad_19

Juniors
I don't think ppl in NSW or Qld realise how good they get it! To see my side, or virtually any game bar SOO or the finals on FTA, I need to stay up until midnight at the earliest. Channel 9 trialled a live game against Parra 2 weeks ago, which was great as I didn't have to watch it on a 9 hour delay, but that's the first time since Rd 1 last year a Storm match has been shown live on FTA!

Not to mention, when events such as Wimbledon, and this week, the British Open are on, the Footy Show gets scrapped (some would say a good thing, but at least it's some RL news) and we get one FNF game at 4am (the 2nd game is scrapped). If I didn't have Fox Sports, f**k me, it would be impossible to follow the sport. And you Northerners wonder why this sport struggles so much in Melbourne!

Also, take today's newspaper as an example, the first 25 pages of sport were devoted to AFL. RL got one page towards the back-end of the liftout!

24 hour all sports radio station SEN covers 5 AFL matches a week and 0 NRL, has a 1-hour Storm show each week and other then that, NRL rarely gets a mention (strange considering it's supposed to cover all sports!).

Also, no NRL game gets coverage on any other station, except for Storm MNF games, when MMM gives it a shot). I was at the Raiders game last Sunday, with no AFL on, and what are ABC playing? Some Beijing Olympics preview, when the games are more then a month away! Seriously, wtf??

If anyone cares seriously about expanding our game, we need to give everything we've got to the powers that be. And we need the help from NSW and Qld. There are not enough footy supporters down South or West for us to ever be given a chance. It's in your best interests in the long term as well.

Finally, I know this is a WA-related thread, but we're in the same position, except we actually have a side playing first-grade. Hopefully this shows that to anyone suggesting threads such as these are spam, that their thoughts are completely and utterly ludicrous.

Last edited:

dimitri

First Grade
I don't think ppl in NSW or Qld realise how good they get it! Do see my side, or virtually any game bar SOO or the finals on FTA, I need to stay up until midnight at the earliest. Channel 9 trialled a live game against Parra 2 weeks ago, which was great as I didn't have to watch it on a 9 hour delay, but that's the first time since Rd 1 last year a Storm match has been shown live on FTA!

Not to mention, when events such as Wimbledon, and this week, the British Open are on, the Footy Show gets scrapped (some would say a good thing, but at least it's some RL news) and we get one FNF game at 4am (the 2nd game is scrapped). If I didn't have Fox Sports, f**k me, it would be impossible to follow the sport. And you Northerners wonder why this sport struggles so much in Melbourne!

Also, take today's newspaper as an example, the first 25 pages of sport were devoted to AFL. RL got one page towards the back-end of the liftout!

24 hour all sports radio station SEN covers 5 AFL matches a week and 0 NRL, has a 1-hour Storm show each week and other then that, NRL rarely gets a mention (strange considering it's supposed to cover all sports!).

Also, no NRL game gets coverage on any other station, except for Storm MNF games, when MMM gives it a shot). I was at the Raiders game last Sunday, with no AFL on, and what are ABC playing? Some Beijing Olympics preview, when the games are more then a month away! Seriously, wtf??

If anyone cares seriously about expanding our game, we need to give everything we've got to the powers that be. And we need the help from NSW and Qld. There are not enough footy supporters down South or West for us to ever be given a chance. It's in your best interests in the long term as well.

Finally, I know this is a WA-related thread, but we're in the same position, except we actually have a side playing first-grade. Anyone suggesting threads such as these are spam, are completely and utterly ludicrous.

GREAT POST!

I completely agree with the ludicrous comment

Brutus

Referee

So with no AFL on that day, the Storm v Raiders game was completely brushed by ABC in Melbourne?

So much for their policy of LIVE SPORT taking preference..

brad_19

Juniors
So with no AFL on that day, the Storm v Raiders game was completely brushed by ABC in Melbourne?

So much for their policy of LIVE SPORT taking preference..

Correct!

And tbh, if it was an AFL show, I could sort of understand, their trying to appeal to their market. I'm an AFL fan (obviously being Victorian), so I wouldn't have been that fussed. But to put on a f**king Beijing preview for 3 hours (think it was 1-4 or something), basically covering the time the game was on, is just a complete insult. They weren't even previewing mainstream sports. I listened until 2, hoping that that they would shift to the footy, and when the game started and they didn't switch, I obviously switched off. It was really pathetic tbh.

Last edited:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
:crazy: WA has only got two AFL teams. WTF could they possibly have to talk about that'd take 25 pages (besides a list of player indiscretions)?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think Brad is in Melbourne! WA isn't much better though with usually 8 pages of AFL and a column of RL (if were lucky!)

brad_19

Juniors
:crazy: WA has only got two AFL teams. WTF could they possibly have to talk about that'd take 25 pages (besides a list of player indiscretions)?

Lol, I could go page-by-page, but here is a rough outline of today's sport liftout in the Herald Sun.

Page 35 - cover (pic of Buddy Franklin)
Page 36-37 - General AFL articles
Page 38 - Ladder, scores, leading goalkickers, votes etc.
Page 39-41 - General AFL articles
Page 42-47 - Match reviews
Page 48 - General articles
Page 49 - The Pulse (Some old hack attempting to find some sporting gossip to discuss)
Page 50 - Match reviews
Page 51-54 - Racing liftout
Page 55 - Match reviews
Page 56 - Odd's for next week, premiership, wooden spoon etc.
Page 57 - VFL and country footy
Page 58 - NRL (whohoo)
Page 59-70 - Other sports (including full lists of scores in the final 3 pages)

As you can tell, I didn't really exaggerate.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Lol, I could go page-by-page, but here is a rough outline of today's sport liftout in the Herald Sun.

Page 35 - cover (pic of Buddy Franklin)
Page 36-37 - General AFL articles
Page 38 - Ladder, scores, leading goalkickers, votes etc.
Page 39-41 - General AFL articles
Page 42-47 - Match reviews
Page 48 - General articles
Page 49 - The Pulse (Some old hack attempting to find some sporting gossip to discuss)
Page 50 - Match reviews
Page 51-54 - Racing liftout
Page 55 - Match reviews
Page 56 - Odd's for next week, premiership, wooden spoon etc.
Page 57 - VFL and country footy
Page 58 - NRL (whohoo)
Page 59-70 - Other sports (including full lists of scores in the final 3 pages)

As you can tell, I didn't really exaggerate.
That's even worse because Melbourne is home to the 2007 NRL champs. I doubt that the Swans or Lions got that sort of treatment the season after they won their comp.

Latest posts