What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced for November 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
"Shouldn't lead with your chin Ronnie."

Fair enough Babyface. I will wear that. Funny how the Tele gets purported to be gospel when its in your favor though & lambasted as News Ltd agenda driven drivel when its not.

Mate, I never said it would happen, just looking at the vested interests that are historical on the ARL side of things, hence, I also asked the question of Dinosaur Arko's involvement on the peninsula.

Uncle Nick is a savvy bloke (understatement), he'll have some say, somewhere. Not that there is anything wrong with that, RL could do with him for sure in the right capacity. The fact that he can see the writing on the wall for the ARL and is gaining favor for the proposed new direction, is, in fact, very good reason to suspect Uncle is indeed going to have a say in the New World Order.

Last edited:
"Shouldn't lead with your chin Ronnie."

Fair enough Babyface. I will wear that. Funny how the Tele gets purported to be gospel when its in your favor though & lambasted as News Ltd agenda driven drivel when its not.

Mate, I never said it would happen, just looking at the vested interests that are historical on the ARL side of things, hence, I also asked the question of Dinosaur Arko's involvement on the peninsula.

Uncle Nick is a savvy bloke (understatement), he'll have some say, somewhere. Not that there is anything wrong with that, RL could do with him for sure in the right capacity. The fact that he can see the writing on the wall for the ARL and is gaining favor for the proposed new direction, is, in fact, very good reason to suspect Uncle is indeed going to have a say in the New World Order.

No worries mate. Just for the record, I do appreciate your concerns.

Quidgybo

Bench
Which does suggest in any way that the RLs will dissolve at all. It also gives no detail about how internationals will work, how grassroots football will operate under this commission or how the fact that the New Zealand Warriors will have an equal stake in this organisation when it supposed to be the national body of rugby league in Australia.

8. Create a structure that gives a single body control over the efficient administration of Rugby League in Australia.

15. Consider changing NRL's name to ARL...

23. Terminate ARL service agreement - to enable NRL to conduct rep games.

24. For old ARL assets, if any - all assets, past copyright and club trademarks etc. should be assigned to the new body for $1.00

27. NSWRL, QRL and CRL on-going funding from NRL based on annual NRL approved business plans, and any other NRL requirments

So the stated point of the Commission is for a single body to control Rugby League administration in Australia. It would run rep games, take over all old ARL assets and it would fund the NSWRL, QRL and CRL based on annual funding submissions. It might even be renamed the ARL. The old ARL would be no more. It would cease to be. Bereft of life, it would rest in peace. It would be an ex-ARL!

Leigh.

It contradicts itself. It talks about one body contorlling the game then talks about the CRL, QRL and NSWRL remaining. So as I said, this commission WILL NOT run the game outside the NRL and SHOULD NOT run international football. And this document gives no detail as to how it will.

Quidgybo

Bench
One vote at a time. The Commission holds the purse strings and has the power to decide how it's spent. Beyond that it ain't rocket science.

Leigh.

The NRL holds the purse strings ATM and the structure below it runs from the ARL down. This commission will be no different and the structure below will remain unchanged, as I said. There is no other way.

Quidgybo

Bench
And the Commission takes over all the ARL's assets, runs rep football, directly funds the QRL, NSWRL and CRL and absorbs the ARL Foundation into the NRL. The ARL ceases to exist, exactly as I said at the start of this discussion.

Leigh.

The document says the NRL will become the ARL, so it won't. The ARL is only the NSWRL and QRL anyway, and they still exist, as will the CRL. So the structure remains. That's the crux of the issue. This commission will not run grassroots football.

Green Machine

First Grade
You could get enough qualified people to sit on a board for the new Rugby League Commission, no worries at all, but the biggest problem is the game needs someone to make decisions. The most important thing is to get the right person in the Executive Chairman position. The NRL is run on consensus by the clubs at the moment. All the lacklustre management of the game is fed out of the mediocrity of the NRL. The game needs a permanent face as someone in charge of the game as a whole. If they rotate the chairman yearly, nothing will change,

Quidgybo

Bench
The company named Australian Rugby League Pty Ltd with board members elected by the NSWRL and QRL ceases to exist. The company named National Rugby League Partnership is re-constituted with a Commission elected by the clubs and assumes all existing ARL responsibilities and assets. Where we now have two companies, we have one and it isn't the ARL. The remaining company may subsequently be renamed the ARL but a rose by any other name... So far from being the nonsense you called it at the start of this discussion, a world without the ARL is exactly what is being proposed.

But then I don't know what I'm talking about.

Leigh.

You suggested the CRL, QRL etc would also go and that even local competitions like the Townsville DRL, to use your example, would deal directly with the commission. Which is utter nonsense and shows you don't know what you're talking about. You also suggested the NZRL would apply to the commisson for funding. The NZRL has nothing whatsoever to do with any Australian governing body and certainly does not fall under one. So once again, no idea.

Quidgybo

Bench
You suggested the CRL, QRL etc would also go and that even local competitions like the Townsville DRL, to use your example, would deal directly with the commission. Which is utter nonsense and shows you don't know what you're talking about.

No, I expressed an opinion they should also go. I never said that was part of the proposal...

Quidgybo said:
In fact I even question if we need the NSWRL, QRL and CRL. Let the regional and metropolitan leagues deal directly with the Commission.

So now you're resorting to misrepresenting what I've said because you've backed yourself into a corner with your incorrect and overly aggressive assertions about the situation.

East Coast Tiger said:
You also suggested the NZRL would apply to the commisson for funding. The NZRL has nothing whatsoever to do with any Australian governing body and certainly does not fall under one. So once again, no idea.
The NRL makes one fifth of its television income from NZ TV rights ($20m annually). You don't think the NZRL might apply to get some of that money back that is being made off their territory to help fund their own grassroots? More directly, don't you think they perhaps deserve it?

Leigh.

If you think the regional leagues should deal directly with a commission you have no idea. If you think they COULD you have no idea. So I'd stick to reading documents and keep your half-arsed opinions to yourself.

As for the NZRL, what you're suggesting is the governing body of one country, if this commission is to be Australia's, asking for cash from another.

Oh and I fogot this nugget

the Commission will fund junior development. Even today the ARL doesn't do that

Evere heard of ARL Development? The single biggest junior development body in Australia. No idea.

Quidgybo

Bench
As for the NZRL, what you're suggesting is the governing body of one country, if this commission is to be Australia's, asking for cash from another.
Blasphemy to be sure, but yes that's exactly what I'm suggesting. It's not like it's illegal you know. All I'm suggesting is New Zealand should get back some of what we're taking out at the top end to help run its grassroots. Call it a license fee if you like. The reconstituted NRL, as the governing body of RL in Australia, pays the NZRL a fee for the right to exploit its territory at the premier club level. The NZRL uses that money to fund its grassroots the same way the QRL and NSWRL use the funding they get from the NRL. Is that really that hard a concept to grasp?

Leigh.

Last edited:
Considering the NZRL has never, ever, ever made any noises about wanting such funding - even now when the NRL is not the governing body for RL in Australia - I'd say it's pretty unlikely.

And you conveniently ignore all the points that show you have no credibility at all.

Quidgybo

Bench
And you conveniently ignore all the points that show you have no credibility at all.
No, I was simply taught it was pointless to argue with an idiot. And since you've well and truly shown you don't want to have a reasoned discussion, I don't intend to.

Leigh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts