What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced for November 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

.-) Daneel

Juniors
So East Coast Tiger..... just to clarify. You dont want change to the current governing Body of Rugby League or you do?

I apologise for using the words "governing" and "ARL" together... because the ARL has shown no semblance of governance or leadership in the past 12 years!

The time for change is NOW! All self interested parties can take a hike, for unity under one banner is required for our great sport!

Palms

Juniors
And once this unity is achieved and all vested, self interest is cast aside into a pit of flames then Rugby League is going to evolve. Imagine our game promoted and run how it should be, by the clubs and not by media tycoons who don't really care about the game, only fattening their own wallets.
Bring it on I say

griff

Bench
I'm with ECT.

People can go on about unity and independence and moving forward and so on, but the model (as I understand it) is fundamentally flawed.

The elite clubs should not control the governing body (and hence the purse strings). For the NSWRL, CRL and QRL to remain in existence, but the ARL to be replaced by a new club-controlled body defies common sense.

The elite clubs to control the elite competition, and the governing body separate, (the EPL model) makes sense. For the elite clubs to control the governing body, and for the other organisations to be left in some mendicant no mans land, that does not make sense at all.

I'm with ECT.

People can go on about unity and independence and moving forward and so on, but the model (as I understand it) is fundamentally flawed.

The elite clubs should not control the governing body (and hence the purse strings). For the NSWRL, CRL and QRL to remain in existence, but the ARL to be replaced by a new club-controlled body defies common sense.

The elite clubs to control the elite competition, and the governing body separate, (the EPL model) makes sense. For the elite clubs to control the governing body, and for the other organisations to be left in some mendicant no mans land, that does not make sense at all.

That's right. I don't understand how this commission to run the NRL has become a commission to run RL in Australia. It simply has no ability to do so, never mind the issue of whether it should. The main problem with RL in this country is not the structure of the game below the NRL. It's the NRL itself, and more particularly News Ltd's half ownership of it. The 16 clubs, and any new ones in the future, should run the elite competition. But they should not run the grassroots game or rep football. That is the ARL's job and has been for a long time. They have issues of their own but taking their power and giving it to the NRL clubs is not the answer.

_Johnsy

Referee
It would appear ECT knows more about the set up of this commission than anyone else.

Given that the 16 CEO's of all clubs gave endorsed the model, i know whose business acumen & decision making I'd go with.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't see too much changing below NRL level. State orgs will just be applying to the new commision instead of the ARL for funding. They will continue to run the jnr and amateur games in each state and the commision will determine how much funding they can have to do that. No different to how the States -} ARL operates now. Will be interesting to see how profits from SOO get divided up!

Clearly the advantages for the game lie in our freedom from conflict of interest to get the most $'s for the game and to then spend them where the game needs it most.

the only grey area I see is in rep football as I don't see who will have the responsibilities for growing that in this model.

I am hoping , as an affiliated state, the new commission deems the growth of the game in new areas a priority and increases funds to the WARL, SARL, NTRL etc

_Johnsy

Referee
What really changes ?

8 board members and those 8 members oversee the running of the game. So what exactly, these men cannot delegate, are there only going to be 8 employees of the new commission, really.... pppfft

I understand that this is a very simplistic view, considering that there has been little detail released on how it is going to work, it looks ok thus far.

Or we could run with the current system, no thanks.

Last edited:
It would appear ECT knows more about the set up of this commission than anyone else.

Given that the 16 CEO's of all clubs gave endorsed the model, i know whose business acumen & decision making I'd go with.

I've highlighted the key bit. An idea drawn up by NRL CEOs is pretty likely to be supported by NRL CEOs. Doesn't mean it's the bets thing for RL.

If the 16 NRL clubs are running all RL in Australia we're just a screwed as if News Ltd was (which it isn't even now). We'd be replacing one conflict of interest with another, except we'd be giving the new one even more power.

Green Machine

First Grade
You are never going to get people who are independent of clubs to be on a board or a commission. That would mean you would be selecting people who have had no contact with Rugby League. Have a look at the AFL CEO and commission.
I think if you have a system where board members are rotated after so many years (which has been suggested is a good idea). The failure of the old NSWRL Board was the clubs nominated 2 directors. Certain clubs colluded together to elect Peter Moore and Terry Parker every year. I don’t think its important to have independent people. We just don’t need incompetent people. We need someone to lead it who has all the interests of Rugby League at heart, not just the NRL.
One of the things I use to enjoy every season was the World 7’s. I thought it was great for the development of the minor nations. I think it could of got better if they moved to 9’s. Anyway, this early season was wiped of the map because Peter Doust was upset that Trent Barrett got injured in one game. He could have been injured in the pre-season trials. Peter Doust had the ability to go to an NRL CEO’s conference and get it canned. Coaches and CEO’s shouldn’t have influence that interferes with a structure that improves representative football. Most policy decisions of the NRL are decided by NRL CEO’s. Half of them, I wouldn’t feed. I am very sceptical of any model proposed that is rubber stamped NRL CEO’s.
As far as grassroots go, most of the people who run Rugby League below the NRL are volunteers. These people should have a say in how the game is administrated. If you start talking down to them and giving them less resources,
they might find it hard to recruit them.
NRL clubs couldn’t give a sh*t about Country Rugby League. They’re all talk about putting something back into it. There was a time not that long ago (the early 80’s) when a talented player would play under 18s and then first grade for their local club before moving to Sydney. Today, their all moved away to play in elite NRL clubs before their 16. Most of them don’t make it in the NRL. Most of them don’t come back. Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s, players went to the bush to take up captain/Coach positions to try and get a start with Winfield Cup clubs as a lower grade coach. How often now do you see an NRL club send coach to the bush to start his coaching?
I love State of Origin and Test Rugby League. I love it that the 4 Nations tournament is locked in with a viable World Cup every 4 years. I like the idea that we can offer our elite players the chance to play Tests every season. Back in 2001, that looked in danger. I don’t like the idea of 16 CEO’s getting together and suggesting that have a rest from international football for a season. I don’t think there is any rush to get an Independent Commission. I don’t think there is any need to destroy the existing structures either. Maybe just a need to streamline them and report back to a central administration,

Moffo

Referee
should we draft up a list of people that shouldn't be involved?

ill start:

ray hadley
geoff carr
colin love
john ribot
ken arthurson
john quayle
graeme annesley
greg mccallum
bill harrigan
peter peters
bob fulton
steve roach
any other ex footy boneheads

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
should we draft up a list of people that shouldn't be involved?

ill start:

ray hadley
geoff carr
colin love
john ribot
ken arthurson
john quayle
graeme annesley
greg mccallum
bill harrigan
peter peters
bob fulton
steve roach
any other ex footy boneheads

Could add your name to that list, if only you played footy.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/clubs-turn-up-heat-for-nrl-commission/story-0-1225820996209

Clubs turn up heat for NRL independent commission

* By Josh Massoud
* January 19, 2010 12:00AM

TRUE to rugby league's roots and its people, this was a no-fuss moment: a sheet of blue notepaper for a blue collar game.

When the 16 NRL clubs made a collective Declaration of Independence just after 11am yesterday, there was no lavish scroll or parchment to record the historic statement.

So South Sydney chairman Nick Pappas tore a page from his scrapbook, picked up his pen and scribbled three heads of agreement: a desire to create a truly Independent Commission (IC), for it to reflect the model presented yesterday, and for it to be set up by the start of this season. In other words, within just 53 days.

One by one, each CEO signed the declaration on behalf of their clubs.

To argue those 16 autographs aren't worth the piece of paper they're written on when it comes to forcing News Ltd and the ARL to rubber-stamp an IC before 12 March is true - but also misses the point of yesterday's gathering.

For the first time in a long time, every stakeholder - CEO, chairman, captain and coach - from every club was singing from the same hymn sheet.

Gold Coast Titans CEO Michael Searle - who has straddled the delicate withdrawal negotiations between News Ltd and the ARL for 18 months - was moved enough to call his rivals a "band of brothers".

"We see ourselves as 16 brothers trying to propagate rugby league," Searle said.

"This is an evolution, not a revolution.

"There will be no blood spilt on the floor."

According to the one-hour presentation Searle gave at Sydney's Sheraton on the Park, an IC will generate an extra $10 million in annual revenue by 2015.

Not only will News' $8 million share be retained, administrative costs will be slashed if the ARL and two NRL boards disappear.

The only financial sticking point is News' insistence the Melbourne Storm be guaranteed a $30 million survival package over the next six seasons.

Traditionally concerned with their own interests, the clubs were yesterday loathe to even remove their most dangerous on-field rival.

"The room was full of support towards Melbourne," Searle said.

"[But the negotiations] are at a tenuous place.

"The News Ltd, NSWRL and ARL seem to be supportive of change.

"We'd now like to see those negotiations expedited."

Searle's failure to mention the QRL as one of the supporting bodies was telling. The QRL has been widely blamed for dragging negotiations beyond Christmas, and its directors have publicly stated they are not entirely satisfied with Searle's model.

D-day will arrive shortly after ARL chairman Colin Love and News executives can reach an exit consensus.

Love will then take the proposal back to his eight ARL directors - four from NSW and four from QLD - for a vote.

Love will effectively be asking the ARL to destroy itself. ARL CEO Geoff Carr last night said he was unsure whether such a momentous decision required a 75 percent majority that would render Love's casting vote useless. If that was the case and the QRL directors vote in a block, the Queenslanders will have the numbers to stop a model they don't support.

Carr last night maintained the ARL agrees with an IC "in principle". But even after the clubs had nominated a deadline, he still would not be pressured into rushing a vote through.

"If you make a decision that you want to do something then, yes, it's ideal that you do it sooner rather than later," Carr said.

"But everyone is mindful that we've got to get it right.

"If we rush through things and get it wrong, then we can't do it all over again."

Only a handful of invitees failed to make the 10am meeting.

St George Illawarra Dragons pair Wayne Bennett and Ben Hornby stayed down south, as did Green Machine duo David Furner and Alan Tongue.

Sharks skipper Trent Barrett was also kept back at training.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ission-explained/story-e6frexnr-1225820991879

Independent commission explained

WHAT will an independent commission do for rugby league and how will it change the game we love? Here are the answers to your questions

Q: Will the clubs own the game?

A: No, the fans will own the game as it will be owned and administered by a non-profit company so that all profits in the future are retained for rugby league.

Q: Will the clubs be influencing decisions by management or the day-to-day operations and can the clubs change a decision by the commission?

A: No, the clubs will have no say in the ongoing policy direction or the day-to-day management of the game - that will be done by the eight commissioners and the NRL management team, and the clubs will have no power to overturn a decision.

Q: Will the clubs ignore game development funding under this proposal?

A: The clubs currently spend an average of about $500,000 per club on development across the game plus the further money invested by the ARL and its affiliated states. If anything, this should make the game more efficient as we centralise development funding and control under the one body.

Q: Can a commissioner either work for a club or sit on the club board? Surely this is about private owners taking control of the game?

A: No, the rules around the definition of the commissioners' independence state that you cannot have been associated with a club, or an associated entity such as its leagues club.

Q: Can a commissioner be associated with News Limited or the NSWRL, QRL, CRL, or ARL?

A: No, the independence test applies the same credentials to the current owners of the game, however, the proposal does allow for the grandfathering of those rules with the approval of both partners of the game for up to two commissioners on the inaugural commission.

Q: How much will this restructure save the game?

A: Given that the partners currently withdraw up to $16 million per year and News Limited's withdrawal would save $8 million per year, it ultimately depends on the agreement to support Melbourne. However, the current proposal would also see significant savings immediately and, with the eradication of the ARL and NRL boards, there will be up to at least $5 million a year with certainty - but it could be a substantial sum more depending on the ultimate arrangement to support Melbourne. This figure will grow to at least $10 million within five years.

Q: Does the proposal ensure Melbourne's long-term survival?

A: The proposal has given consideration to the Storm's long-term importance to the game and the funding proposal allows for support both financial and non-financial for the next six years which, by that time, the Storm's business model should be self-sustaining with their new stadium and the maturity of the corporate suppliers. However, we need to be careful that we don't alter the competitive balance among the clubs.

Q: Why are the clubs only now being briefed about this?

A: The negotiations have been a difficult and complicated process and the need for this not to be played out in the media has been paramount. The clubs are driving this campaign and have been informed regularly as to its progress.

Q: Will the restructure stop players from changing codes?

A: No, codes will continue to make recruitment plays for rugby league players as a result of the fantastic structure we have at grass roots and ultimately it is a player's choice to change if he so wishes. However, it will make us more financially able to keep players and make it more expensive for rival codes to recruit.

Q: What will happen to the NSWRL, QRL and CRL?

A: The state bodies will continue to run their competitions independently of the commission.

Q: Will the clubs turn their back on State of Origin or international rugby league?

A: Never.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...he-game-back-to-the-people-20100118-mgqk.html

'We're giving the game back to the people'
January 19, 2010

Glenn Jackson and Brad Walter spoke with Gold Coast Titans chief Michael Searle, the driving force behind yesterday's summit.

Q What does this mean for rugby league?

''It's one of those opportunities that rarely comes up in the game of rugby league, where we have universal and unanimous support for changing a corporate structure. It means that we're going to hand the game over to independent people to administer and to create the policy and direction. But more importantly, we're giving the game back to the people through the creation of a non-profit entity. It was one of those moments that we will look back on, and hopefully think it was the time that rugby league started back on its journey to be the No.1 football code in the country.''

Q When will it happen?

''The clubs have asked for it to happen by season kick-off, or earlier if possible. That's a timeline that they felt was achievable given that corporate deals get done all the time, and we can enter into a heads of agreement around the process, and get it started. Hopefully it'll happen sooner rather than later, but we're relying on News Ltd and the Australian Rugby League to negotiate the settlement. We feel that's a long way down the path, but how long that takes them to finalise is really up to those partners.''

Q Were you surprised by the mood and strength of the delegates?

''Overwhelmed, to be honest. The mood was very buoyant, the game is quite obviously in a great position in regards to product on the field, and the clubs are all excited that this will give them some security of tenure moving forward, as participants in the game. But we're also acutely aware that handing the game over to independent people will bring new levels of administration and expectations on the clubs, as it has in the past. The '80s brought the salary cap, and that was driven by independent people on the [NSWRL] board. We understand that, we encourage it and welcome it. If it's in the best interests of the game growing, and us achieving our potential … we hand the game over to independent people to administer the policies and clubs will abide by it.''

Q What's the process for electing the commissioners?

''The inaugural board will be appointed by the partners, the ARL and News Limited, hence the request that the game immediately seek independence from the date of the establishment of the commission. Then, from the third anniversary of the establishment of the commission … every year there'll be two commissioners retire, and the clubs will get to nominate. You need three clubs to nominate a commissioner, and you require 75 per cent of the vote, which is one of the largest majorities in world sport.''

Q Why do this now?

''We're in a situation where the game has been challenged by rival codes in our core market. We've got a taxation regime on some of the licensed clubs that support our Sydney clubs that is quite expensive and putting them in a perilous situation, so we need to start to plan for life after poker-machine revenue. The global economic crisis certainly created some fear amongst the clubs that we need to be well prepared and well structured to maximise our revenue. They're the downsides. The upside is that we're on a surging wave where the game continues to get back to its pre-1995 support in its core markets. The fact that we're now dominating some of our competitors means that we probably need the best possible structure to maximise it as well. We shouldn't just rely on the fact that we're going well, we should make sure that we maximise it.''

Q How do you think the ARL and News Ltd will see the motion?

''With the intent that it was designed. That is to say that the game of rugby league supports and acknowledges the contribution that both partners have provided the game over the last 10 years, and certainly acknowledges the contribution that the ARL executives have provided over the last 100 years of the game. But we feel that there's an opportunity here now to allow us to bury the past, of the Super League war, and unite together to grow the game again. I think that's a great opportunity for the game, and a chance for us to sit back and reflect on some of the great work they've done in the past, but we need to move forward now and I think News and the ARL will take it in the vein that it was meant, which is constructive, supportive and possibly providing some encouragement to try and fast-track it, so that the NRL management team can take advantage of the best possible TV deal, and we can get on with putting a great product back on the paddock and have a good positive start to 2010.''

Q Who would be on your wish-list for the first commission?

''I still don't think it's appropriate to talk about who the commissioners are until we know we've got a commission. If they're independent, they're leaders in their field, and they love the game of rugby league, tick, tick, tick for me; three boxes, that's great. The faces can be filled in later. There are lots of great people out there in the corporate world that love the game, and they probably just haven't been provided with an opportunity to do it before. Who it is to me is irrelevant, as long as they meet the criteria.''

Q One of the concerns raised has been that if the privately-owned clubs suddenly struggle for cash, they could change the constitution and make a grab for money.

''We showed today that there's two things that should give great comfort to all the stakeholders. We've got the highest majority required in world sport, outside the NFL, which is 100 per cent. We're at 87 per cent, which is 14 out of 16, to change the constitution. Secondly, the definition of the word 'game', how is it defined, is something that's critical to the security we're providing grassroots development and also the support that we're going to provide international rugby league and representative football. The commissioner has an obligation, a fiduciary duty by corporations law, to act in the best interests of the game.

Q What's in this for the fans?

''They get the game back. The game of rugby league gets to retain all the profits, and the fan will see a voice via their clubs. At the moment, the clubs are clearly reliant on the fans providing them feedback, and it's their job to try and provide the best possible product. This gives the game back to the people. We're no longer shifting revenue out of the game, we're maximising revenue, and from the fans' perspective, they'll have an independent group of business people that can take the game to another level. The fans can feel comfortable in the knowledge that this model will make their team economically more stable. This gives long-term security to the clubs, and ultimately to the fans of those clubs.''

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...run-rugby-league/story-e6frg7mf-1225820997771

QRL yet to support a strong move for an independent commission to run rugby league

* Stuart Honeysett and Dan Koch

THE QRL is under enormous pressure to fall into line and pledge its full support for an independent commission after it emerged yesterday it was the only party blocking the historic move.

The coach, captain, chairman and chief executive of all 16 clubs were yesterday invited to the Sheraton on the Park hotel in Sydney for an update on the march towards independence.

In an unprecedented show of solidarity, all 16 clubs voted for an IC (independent commission) to take over the reins from present owner News Limited (publisher of The Australian) and the ARL before the start of the season.

While ARL chairman Colin Love was initially suggested as the man who would head the first IC, he will no longer be considered for the position. Former BHP Billiton chairman Don Argus has been mentioned as a possible option.

"It was the feeling of the meeting that it should be totally independent from day one," Broncos boss Bruno Cullen said.

The ARL and its various umbrella organisations have been identified as the major obstacle in a move towards independence and revamping the game's unwieldy structure.

However, The Australian was told yesterday the ARL, NSWRL and CRL are now fully behind the IC after having a change of heart in the last week.

That leaves only the QRL as the final hurdle. It has pledged its support in principle, but wants a say on the make-up of the IC's board and to maintain a certain level of funding.

It is believed that Love and ARL chief executive Geoff Carr are now behind the IC and, sensing the mood for change, could now push ahead without the QRL's blessing.

"Once you agree in principle you want something to happen, then ideally you want it to happen sooner rather than later," Carr said.

"But you need to make sure there's a whole lot of things considered because you're setting a blueprint for the way forward and if you make an error, it might be difficult to undo it."

The meeting was told yesterday the establishment of an IC could result in several windfalls for the game's salary cap, grassroots development and representative payments to players.

It is understood the legal process of dissolving the current set-up would be relatively simple, giving all parties hope that an IC could be up and running when the first game kicks off in March.

"It's our understanding that the ARL is keen for this to push ahead, News Limited is keen for this to push ahead and the 16 clubs have shown their support today," Newcastle chief executive Steve Burraston said. "There's not a whole lot holding it back apart from a few individuals. Everybody in the game just about believes it's there. So it's time to get on with it."

ADDITIONAL REPORTING: BRENT READ

that stinks of Ribot wanting power

_Johnsy

Referee
Imagine my surprise that t is the QRL that is the only group from blocking this very important move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts