What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced for November 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

griff

Bench
not sure you can blame him for their backer pulling out. If anything he should be congratulated for rescuing what could have been a pr disaster.

Overall he has led the game in england forward and pushed through the biggest change for decades in abandoning P&R. That plus the introduction of new teams (Les Cats & Wales) whilst making sure that heartland teams that have the ability (HullKR) still have a place puts him in the high acheiver category for me.

There are plenty of top quality sports administrators out there if we are willing to look and pay for them. Or we could keep the dinosaurs that currently run the game in place for another decade!

He rushed them into Super League when it was clear that their backer was only interested in rugby league because he was pissed off at the WRU. At the end of the day Bridgend is only a small town with a small poor quality ground and if their backer was to walk away they would be up the creek. It shouldn't have been too hard to see what was going to happen.

Loudstrat

Coach
not sure you can blame him for their backer pulling out. If anything he should be congratulated for rescuing what could have been a pr disaster.

Overall he has led the game in england forward and pushed through the biggest change for decades in abandoning P&R. That plus the introduction of new teams (Les Cats & Wales) whilst making sure that heartland teams that have the ability (HullKR) still have a place puts him in the high acheiver category for me.

There are plenty of top quality sports administrators out there if we are willing to look and pay for them. Or we could keep the dinosaurs that currently run the game in place for another decade!

I'm not so sure what the current administrators have done that is so wrong - apart from Gallop and the TV deal - but that's really News Ltd anyway.

I reckon getting News out of the game is the single biggest improvement we can make. The NRL committee really needs to be a sub committee of the whole codes administration which specifically deals with the NRL comp, while the parent administers the WHOLE code. The Commission will not give us this. The whole code - bar the Telstra Premiership - stands to suffer unless this is built into the commission structure.

Moffo

Referee
F*ck off. It's limp wristed tools such as yourself that ignore the quality already inherent in our code. to you, our game hasn't got enough talent, yet you cannot name an administrator from another code up to it. You just want someone from another code.

David Moffat perhaps?

go away you mong. RL has produced a lot of great administrators but a lot of absolute geniuss as well. there is no harm in looking outside of your own back fence

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-firm-on-commission-makeup-20100120-mlri.html

QRL stands firm on commission make-up
JOSH RAKIC
January 21, 2010

QUEENSLAND RUGBY LEAGUE boss Ross Livermore has poured cold water on the 16 NRL clubs' hopes of having a landmark independent commission running by March 12.

Livermore yesterday reiterated the body's pre-meeting stance that the QRL, ARL and NSWRL be entitled to nominate four members to the proposed eight-member independent commission board. It is a stance that is proving a stumbling block to the creation of the commission.

The QRL board met on Tuesday with the commission high on its agenda, and has subsequently called for an urgent meeting of ARL powerbrokers. But Livermore insisted the meeting was not in reaction to the clubs' demand that the commission be operational by March 12, and said the QRL would not change its position on the selection process for members of the commission.

''Reports that the CRL [Country Rugby League], NSWRL and ARL have fallen into line with the clubs this week is rubbish,'' Livermore said. ''The CRL haven't changed their view, NSW haven't changed their view and we haven't changed out view, which means the ARL hasn't changed its view since our meeting.

''We all had a meeting on December 8, and I know the ARL is still waiting to hear back from News Ltd from the stuff we put forward then. So nothing's changed. And the QRL has had no contact with [Titans CEO and independent commission architect] Michael Searle since the clubs' meeting on Monday.''

Livermore rejected claims the QRL was standing in the road of rugby league history, saying: ''People keep saying we're the hurdle but the way I see it we're the horse jumping over it. We haven't been sitting on our hands. The QRL had a board meeting Tuesday, and we've asked for a meeting to be held as soon as possible with the ARL because we want to keep this thing progressing.

''We haven't deviated from the start. Monday's meeting of the clubs didn't bring anything new to the table, it was just a meeting for all clubs to understand where the whole thing's at.

''We've put some things forward to the ARL and are waiting to find out when our meeting will be. As Geoff Carr has consistently said, we all want it to be done but it has to be done right. That's where we're sitting.''

Livermore said the QRL had suggested on December 8 to the ARL and 16 NRL clubs that the commission should be free of any possible conflict of interest between board members, state leagues and the clubs.

''This is exactly what we said: 'The [QRL] directors generally do not support the appointment to an independent body of any person who has held a position with the partnership - NRL, ARL, state leagues or NRL clubs.' That was noted in the minutes,'' Livermore said. ''That's our view at the QRL, and if someone can convince us otherwise, we'll have a look at it. What we're saying is if someone's got 50 per cent of the game and the other mob's got 50, you've got to have equality. Fair is fair. We're only looking for equality.

''Under the agreement the NRL clubs have with News Ltd in writing, the clubs will get 50 per cent of the game if News Ltd exited. Currently, the ARL has 50 per cent ownership, well they're not going to hand that to the clubs. So you've got the ARL with a 50 per cent share and the 16 NRL clubs with a 50 per cent share.

''What we want is to be in a position to nominate an equal number of board members as the clubs have got … That's the QRL view. It's transparent.''

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Hmmm so the QRL want the CRL, NSWRL and the QRL to be able to elect 4 commission members? Well, I dont think News Ltd would agree to leave the game if they got them, so its a stand off. Someones gotta give or we are stick with this for a long long time.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I personally wouldnt mind of the clubs got 4, and the ARL got another 4....but thats only if the ARL were completely independant and there were no QRL, NSWRL or CRL, etc etc.

I'm not so sure what the current administrators have done that is so wrong - apart from Gallop and the TV deal - but that's really News Ltd anyway.

Doesnt the arl have 3 board members at the moment?
They could have blocked the tv deal until we got more money

skeepe

Immortal
The QRL are an absolute joke. The fact that those f**king dinosaurs are the only ones standing in the way of what would be a tremendous outcome for rugby league is, in fact, the biggest advertisement for an independent commission that we have seen yet.

The QRL are a limp-wristed organisation with no concern for anything but themselves and their perks. That a small bunch of petty-minded idiots can stand in the way of progress is baffling.

Fairfax

Juniors
There has to be a selfless, unified front here & the club solidarity can easily be broken by the self interest of just one club. To me, the Roosters could be the fly in the ointment as Politis has the most to lose and does Arko still have any pseudo control at Manly?

I thought it was going to be the Roosters fault... care to comment?

Mickyd39

Juniors
The QRL are an absolute joke. The fact that those f**king dinosaurs are the only ones standing in the way of what would be a tremendous outcome for rugby league is, in fact, the biggest advertisement for an independent commission that we have seen yet.

The QRL are a limp-wristed organisation with no concern for anything but themselves and their perks. That a small bunch of petty-minded idiots can stand in the way of progress is baffling.

well said.

Brutus

Referee
Ross Livermore is a yawnion fool who is doing everything to hold on to his cush job.

Lives off the money made from Origin.

Last edited:

Big-Steve

Juniors
It seems there is a lot of confusion out there about what an IC will mean and what changes may or may not happen. Some media reports have been misleading and Mr Searle has been a bit lite on the detail.

From what I can make out nothing is going to be replaced. The ARL, NSWRL. QLDRL, CRL etc will all remain and will still be run by elected officials down the line to district clubs (a democratic but impracticable process that needs an overhaul its self).

An IC will be a new layer of administration sitting on top of all the existing structures and will at the very least control the finances (it remains to be seen how much of the decision making if any the IC takes from the control of the other structures).

The QLDRL is right an IC that oversees everything in RL in Australia should not be appointed solely by the NRL Clubs. They have not shown the interest and respect in other levels of footy that is required.

Don’t get me wrong the ARL etc have not been too flash either in recent years.

The perfect situation would be to by pass them all and allow registered RL Club members accross the country to nominate and vote as they are the largest stake holders of the game.

If the NRL Clubs were sincere in their belief that the IC should be independent even from them, it should not matter to them that the ARL shares the vote. But judging by the pushing and prodding that the NRL clubs are doing they don’t want the public or ARL to have a say.

They seem stuck in the belief that they are Rugby League and the rest don’t exist.

It seems there is a lot of confusion out there about what an IC will mean and what changes may or may not happen. Some media reports have been misleading and Mr Searle has been a bit lite on the detail.

From what I can make out nothing is going to be replaced. The ARL, NSWRL. QLDRL, CRL etc will all remain and will still be run by elected officials down the line to district clubs (a democratic but impracticable process that needs an overhaul its self).

An IC will be a new layer of administration sitting on top of all the existing structures and will at the very least control the finances (it remains to be seen how much of the decision making if any the IC takes from the control of the other structures).

The QLDRL is right an IC that oversees everything in RL in Australia should not be appointed solely by the NRL Clubs. They have not shown the interest and respect in other levels of footy that is required.

Don’t get me wrong the ARL etc have not been too flash either in recent years.

The perfect situation would be to by pass them all and allow registered RL Club members accross the country to nominate and vote as they are the largest stake holders of the game.

If the NRL Clubs were sincere in their belief that the IC should be independent even from them, it should not matter to them that the ARL shares the vote. But judging by the pushing and prodding that the NRL clubs are doing they don’t want the public or ARL to have a say.

They seem stuck in the belief that they are Rugby League and the rest don’t exist.
Yep.

I don't understand why the News Ltd media is claiming the game is being given back to the fans. In what way will the fans be setting the agenda? It will be the NRL clubs that own RL in Australia, including a NZ club, and that to me doesn't seem like such a great "evolution".

Dogs Of War

Coach
Yep.

I don't understand why the News Ltd media is claiming the game is being given back to the fans. In what way will the fans be setting the agenda? It will be the NRL clubs that own RL in Australia, including a NZ club, and that to me doesn't seem like such a great "evolution".

Well the Fans get to elect club officials if they decide to get involved with the club at that level (can be hard for some clubs), then those clubs will elect people to the IC. It's a lot more control than they have currently.

Big-Steve

Juniors
Well the Fans get to elect club officials if they decide to get involved with the club at that level (can be hard for some clubs), then those clubs will elect people to the IC. It's a lot more control than they have currently.
Problem is it once again leaves a hard working CRL volunteer with no say. There are many people involved in Legaue that are not a member of an NRL club.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Doesnt the arl have 3 board members at the moment?
They could have blocked the tv deal until we got more money
Depends who has the chair.

Dosg of War, the fans will have almost no say. Parra fans saw how hard it was to get rid of a CEO. How hard will it be for fans to change a commissioner?

I think the recent conference showed the agenda. The NRL clubs had board members, CEO's, coaches and captains present.

Who represented, for instance, Group 3?

No one.

They won't have any say on who the club votes for though. That's no control.

And in any case the idea that club members are good people to be making such decisions is no better than having the clubs make them. They are likely to be just as club-centric and disinterested in the non-NRL parts of the game as the clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.