What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced for November 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Firstly you need to move pass the world sevens.

International tests are as important as SOO in bringing in revenue to the game. There is no way the commission would stop playing test matches.

The only time players are withdrawn from tests is if they are injured. This happens now and will happen in the future regardless of who runs the game.
Players are pressured by clubs to have surgery when they could wait. Yet this happens far more to non-Australian players. How will a club-centric body deal with this?

And how is this commission going to run international football as well as the NRL? We have a Four Nations at the end of this year that Australia is supposed to be co-hosting. I dread to think how it will be handled by a new body that will put it way at the bottom of its list of priorities. Are we also going to see the Test TV deals lumped back in with the NRL's just as we finally got rid of this situation? How will the commission be represented at the RLIF? This of all bodies should have no club conflicts at all.

No one seems to hav actually considered any of these things because they're too busy trying to fix the NRL. Well the NRL is not the be all and end of of RL.

The reason we ended up with such a dodgy deal after Super League was because in 1997 we were so desperate to end the war we agreed to any old nonsense. Now we're so desperate to get rid of News we're willing to accept any new situation that comes along, regardless of whather all the issues are being dealt with. This commission is being fast-tracked to deal with NRL issues, not non-NRL issues. Yet the whole game is being dragged along with it without properly considering the needs of the entire game and how it will all function under this club-centric power base.

hutch

First Grade
No club would prevent a player playing SOO, they're not that stupid. But what about clubs forcing players out of tests, especially non-Australian players. We've already seen it with the World Sevens. We've lost a vital event for international development and the traditional start of the season because clubs were allowed to prevent their best players from playing. They also do it to Kiwi and islander players all the time. Who is going to stop them when they have all the power and there is no ARL? Who is going to organise Four Nations and World Cups in Australia when the new governing body would rather rest players for the following year's club season? It might not be a matter of preventing players from playing in Tests if the govering body doesn't organise any. This also has ramifications for the RLIF, which no one on here seems to have even considered because they're just as club-centric as the blokes making the decisions.

im with you ect. i am worried about international footy, we have come so far over the last few years. in a perfect world, the nrl (current or independent) would answer to the rlif, but this is rugby league and our game has been run by idiots for too long. i hope the new commission understands the international game and how important it is, and how the game has grown significantly around the world recently. will they care about the growth of the game in western australia, nz south island, pacific islands etc.?

youre right about the world 7's too. they were an important way of introducing new nations to rugby league, look at how far fiji have come since they made the final in 92. we should start every year with the world 7's (or 8's), alternate it between hemispheres, nrl v international one year, super league v international the next. lets hope this commission has a bit of vision, something the nrl currently lacks.

Loudstrat

Coach
No club would prevent a player playing SOO, they're not that stupid. But what about clubs forcing players out of tests, especially non-Australian players. We've already seen it with the World Sevens. We've lost a vital event for international development and the traditional start of the season because clubs were allowed to prevent their best players from playing. They also do it to Kiwi and islander players all the time. Who is going to stop them when they have all the power and there is no ARL? Who is going to organise Four Nations and World Cups in Australia when the new governing body would rather rest players for the following year's club season? It might not be a matter of preventing players from playing in Tests if the govering body doesn't organise any. This also has ramifications for the RLIF, which no one on here seems to have even considered because they're just as club-centric as the blokes making the decisions.

The IC will dictate the requirements of Rep Football & the clubs, via the constitution, will be bound to stick by it.

Any moves by clubs to cghange the constitution, must have an 87% (14 of 16 votes) majority to carry it.

That won't happen. The Origin Series is a massive cash cow for the game. The players should get a far bigger slice of it & whats left should not go into ARL coffers - it should be dispersed at the IC's discretion. This all has to be transparent, unlike the current system, to work & that is the entire point of what the whole thing is all about.

If the clubs dictate who is on the commission, the clubs therefore dictate Australia's representation on the IRLF. Without Australia's participation, the IRLF cannot/will not sanction a series without the Kangaroos.

In essence what you are saying is that the IC will be tough - but the OIC will be controlled by the clubs -and will do their bidding anyway.

Previously, the clube have ben at odds with many things organised on the international stage. The massive whinge over the USA test in Philadelphia - it would not have gone ahread with the clubs in charge. Gus Gould stopped Adrian Lam playing for PNG once. Cronulla banned the Sorensons playing for NZ as well.

Clubs will also fiddle with Origin to suit themselves - the clubs are behind the push to make Origins a weekend thing - IMHO a disastrous proposition for the code.

Parramatta had a big argument over (from memory) Jamie Lyon playing Origin with an injury that needed time to heal - and he played Origin and was ruled out for Parra.

You know what I fear? I fear that this will be the final victory for News in the SL war -the death of the ARL. Notice the tone in the article - ARL "Dinosaurs"? I'd bet my left testicle that the commission will have some influence from News Ltd - Gallop will be CEO after all.

The funding demand for Melbourne is proof of this.

News never have, and never will, give a rats about the juniors or regional footy.These areas are under major threat.

I'm still waiting to see who the commissioners will be before I go c**k a hoop over

siv

First Grade
I am confused on how the NZ Warriors can be 1/16th owners of RL in Australia

Well it's good to see at least a few people aren't just swallowing this stuff without questioning it. I support a commission to run the NRL but this is not what this is. There needs to be assurances that grassroots football will be given optimal support from the NRL and that those whose job it is to work at this level are allowed to do so without interference. There also needs to be assurances that international football will be given priority and without club influence. The only way I can see this happening is if the ARL remains as the controlling body of grassroots development, in conjunction with the state bodies, and that the ARL also maintains control of the Kangaroos and other Australian rep sides, organises tournaments to be held here and that it is represented on the RLIF.

I am confused on how the NZ Warriors can be 1/16th owners of RL in Australia
So am I. Another reason why the commission cannot control Australian representative football. The commission would never influence the NZRL and its international operations so how can it do so with Australian teams?

Loudstrat

Coach
The first rule of the commission - No one with any affiliation with News Ltd or it's subsidiaries should be anywhere near any position of influence or power over the commission.

Moffo

Referee
Which one do you want? John O'Neil or Dimitriou?

FFS you say dumb things sometimes!

oh, so they are the only two administrators from other codes you cum quadrant?

you are a farkwit. the world is the NRL's oyster if they wish to pursue it...they could even try to get an administrator from overseas...oooo, wouldn't that be a novel approach :roll::crazy::roll::crazy:

Loudstrat

Coach
I guess we could troll netball, greco roman wrestling and curling for admin talent.

You got a name to throw around before you headhunt the next boss of Australian League at you local bowling club?

Or maybe get someone from somewhere that knows nothing about League.......

Moffo

Referee
its small minded mongs such as yourself that stop our sport from achieving true potential

Loudstrat

Coach
F*ck off. It's limp wristed tools such as yourself that ignore the quality already inherent in our code. to you, our game hasn't got enough talent, yet you cannot name an administrator from another code up to it. You just want someone from another code.

David Moffat perhaps?

Big-Steve

Juniors
News never have, and never will, give a rats about the juniors or regional footy.These areas are under major threat.

I'm still waiting to see who the commissioners will be before I go c**k a hoop over
In deed the problem for lower grade footy at the moment is that the NRL acts in it's interests. Notice the NRL website has NO link to any other level of football other than first grade and NYC. This is because it sees other grades as competition. The NRL does not and does not see a purpose in helping promote other levels of footy.

We've seen this reflected in the decision to create the NYC. There was nothing essentially wrong with the existing Jersey Flegg comp, in fact those that run footy at that level will tell you it was better because there was more direct contact with the open age NSW comp.

But the NRL clubs wanted control and so the clubs went to the NRL said what they wanted and WITH NO CONCOLTATION with the lower grades got what they wanted.

I fear this is even more likely to happen as giving them ownership further instils the idea that the NRL is the be all and end all of RL.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
not sure you can blame him for their backer pulling out. If anything he should be congratulated for rescuing what could have been a pr disaster.

Overall he has led the game in england forward and pushed through the biggest change for decades in abandoning P&R. That plus the introduction of new teams (Les Cats & Wales) whilst making sure that heartland teams that have the ability (HullKR) still have a place puts him in the high acheiver category for me.

There are plenty of top quality sports administrators out there if we are willing to look and pay for them. Or we could keep the dinosaurs that currently run the game in place for another decade!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts