What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced

Billythekid

First Grade
This coming from the guy who constantly reminds us just how more valuable the AFL is.

As for the commission being out before christmas, i'll believe it when i see it. How many times can we be told it's just around the corner?

BuffaloRules

Coach
Gallop said his message to the conference would centre on the importance of accentuating the positive. ''It's an opportunity to remind the game's stakeholders that we're in a competitive environment and that we must showcase our strengths rather than our weaknesses,'' he said.

''I'll certainly be making the point that what we say about ourselves will be far more important than what any competitor does in our market. We need to be confident about our strengths, and if we do that we will continue to dominate in our key strategic areas, including western Sydney.

Some alien entity has taken over David Gallop...

This coming from the guy who constantly reminds us just how more valuable the AFL is.

As for the commission being out before christmas, i'll believe it when i see it. How many times can we be told it's just around the corner?
Reminds me of Benny Hill .he once said
"Live every Day as Your Last,Because One Day You are Going To Be Right".

juro

Bench

Reminds me of that old line probably every dad in Australia says when told something is coming. "Yeah, and so is Christmas!"

Perth Red

Post Whore
The NRL's annual two-day conference begins at Homebush today, and all the commissioners will attend along with Gallop, the NRL club chairmen and chief executives, and representatives of the NSWRL, QRL, CRL and ARL Development.

I see the rest of the country and NZRL gets overlooked as per usual! Hopefully the IC wil take a more national approach to the game.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
They need to get the ball rolling on tv negotiations quick before the a-league gets started on theirs. I can see them handing the A-league a big increase on the back of one good year and then use the "we have no more money excuse on the NRL"

Perth Red

Post Whore
Order of priorities:

TV deal
Other Media and sponsorship deals
New CEO ( ;) )
Club grants and salary cap for next 5 years
Expansion - when and where
Strategic and operational plan for each state and territory grass roots and Jnr development linked to funding and outcomes
Int RL strategic plan in conjunction with RLIF
Development of min standards for NRL licenses

Quidgybo

Bench
We've got the ratings on the board after a record breaking 2011 season. We've just got to make sure we have as strong a start to next season in case the television negotiations are still dragging on by that point. What the A-League does is irrelevant. We just need to make sure we don't drop the ball between now and when the deal is closed.

That means nothing that can damage ratings. No player strikes, no club rebellions, no new confidence shattering scandals like the betting affair. It's time for everybody to sing off the same hym sheet and just do their jobs for the next nine months or so. After the Commission has used this position of advantage to drive the best deal possible, we can argue all we like about how to spend the money.

Leigh

adamkungl

Immortal
Order of priorities:

TV deal
Other Media and sponsorship deals
New CEO ( ;) )
Club grants and salary cap for next 5 years
Expansion - when and where
Strategic and operational plan for each state and territory grass roots and Jnr development linked to funding and outcomes
Int RL strategic plan in conjunction with RLIF
Development of min standards for NRL licenses

Expansion and the TV deal should be linked...

Perth Red

Post Whore
You would think so but the noises so far don't seem to point that way, more that expansion will happen if TV deal is big enough rather than expansion being an integral part to making the TV deal bigger. Weird as every other code has done it the other way with expansion being a factor in bigger deals.

El Diablo

Post Whore
You would think so but the noises so far don't seem to point that way, more that expansion will happen if TV deal is big enough rather than expansion being an integral part to making the TV deal bigger. Weird as every other code has done it the other way with expansion being a factor in bigger deals.

depends

9 like the idea of a second Brisbane side

Smiley

Bench
http://www.qrl.com.au/default.aspx?...45459&title=conference-highlights-codes-power

Conference Highlights Code's Power

THE first Annual Conference involving the soon to be appointed ARL Commissioners along with the NRL Chairmen and Chief Executives, as well as representatives of the ARL, NSWRL, QRL, CRL, ARL Development and NZRL has been given compelling evidence of Rugby League’s power as at Television sport.

Figures released to the meeting today showed that a cumulative audience of 134million viewers tuned in to Australian free to air and subscription television to watch, NRL, Toyota Cup, State of Origin, City Country, Australia v New Zealand Tests and the Four Nations in 2011. The figure is 12 million more than any other Australian sport and does not take into account a further 12 million Rugby League viewers in New Zealand.

The detailed analysis of 2011 television results confirmed Rugby League as Australia’s number one television sport.

Other key points included:

• the highest average ratings of any football code on free to air and subscription television in 2011
• four of the top five sporting programs of the year on free to air television (including Origin Three as the highest rating free to air sports program)
• sixty-four of the top one hundred programs on subscription television
• the highest rating Origin series in history
• 1.3% growth in free to air audiences
• 16% growth in subscription television

“They are a powerful set of results across the coverage of the game,” NRL Chief Executive, Mr David Gallop, said today.

“As we look towards media negotiations in the months ahead they are a reminder of Rugby League’s value in the market.”
Today’s meeting involved considerable discussion in relation to rights negotiations, reiterating that they would commence after the formation of the ARL Commission and that the game with the support of the clubs would strongly pursue the concept of a ‘full-season’ schedule with days and time-slots determined at the start of the year.

The 2011 Annual Conference was the last under the auspices of the NRL Partnership and the Chairman elect of the ARL Commission, Mr John Grant, and his fellow commissioners were in attendance.

Mr Grant made it clear that the Commission was indeed weeks away from formally assuming control but stressed there were a number of legal processes and due diligence obligations to be completed.

“Rome wasn’t built in a day – but it was built,” Mr Grant said in his address.
Mr Grant went on to assure the conference that the Commissioners would be focused on a ‘whole of game’ approach.

“There will be a strong focus on getting a whole of game strategic plan in place,” he said.

“It is important that as we look towards a significant growth in revenue that there is a strategy that underpins the way that money is used.

“The Commission is a unique opportunity to review existing plans without the constraints of the game’s previous structure.”
The meeting today looked closely at marketing and new media strategies as well as a close analysis of Rugby League’s development figures.

“We saw 35,000 new participants enter the game in 2011 - more than ever before,” Director of League integration, Andrew Hill, said today.

“There are over 480,000 club and school players taking part in actual competitions, not just short term clinics, and it is important people acknowledge just where our strengths are.

“There are over a million more who take part in clinics, back-yard league activities or some other organised Rugby League experience.

“There is no doubt that we can do a lot of things better but in the review that we have been conducting into Rugby League’s development pathways it is clear also that there are a lot of positives to build on.”

Eddie Lab

Juniors
I don't want to be too optimistic but should we start getting the champagne on ice?

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ady-to-take-over/story-e6frexnr-1226214561329
NEWS Ltd will exit rugby league within the next few days, 16 years since the Super League split. The media company, publisher of The Daily Telegraph, is close to signing off on all relevant legal documentation before walking away as early as this Friday.
It is understood News Ltd has internal plans to depart rugby league by the end of the week but delays in processing the complex legal paperwork mean it may take until Tuesday.
Either way, News Ltd and the ARL are within days of handing rugby league over to the independent commission.
Commissioners may not necessarily start the same day News Ltd leaves but the new era isn't far away.
"We hope it is sooner rather than later - we want this to happen as quickly as possible," ARL chairman John Chalk said.
"We are hoping for next week but, at the moment, we're really in the hands of the lawyers."
News Ltd formed the Super League breakaway competition on April 1, 1995. In 1998, News Ltd and the ARL merged their competitions to form the NRL.
and

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-board-must-walk/story-fn67wv6z-1226214511816

IN THE same week that rugby league prepares to hand over power to an independent commission, the Cricket Australia board will be left with little alternative but to sack itself.

I don't drink and haven't had any for more years than I care to remember, but the moment those merkins from News are not involved in the running of our game is the moment I crack open the bottle of 1991 Semillon I got for a present a few years ago...

firechild

First Grade
I don't drink and haven't had any for more years than I care to remember, but the moment those merkins from News are not involved in the running of our game is the moment I crack open the bottle of 1991 Semillon I got for a present a few years ago...

Don't foget Gallop isn't going anywhere so you might want to keep the celebrations a bit low key.

Brutus

Referee
Good old Gallop stays on though.

First and last rights...all that jazz.

It will be a good day though.

At least News LTD publications are talking up a massive TV deal for the code which gives me hope.

Nah, he'll answer to the board, not the stooges at News, so it'll be opened the moment News are gone.

I'll keep the empty bottle though and if he f**ks up the TV rights, I'll happily insert it in him.

Latest posts