What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RL independence day arrives - NRL Independent Commission announced

Keep it up ECT . . . just watch the blood pressure. I'll keep on trying to convert my grandson and his mates back to League.

Too bloody easy for these well organised farmers to promote Union
Yeah but they're not that well organised. They just have that old boys network behind them and that's a big advantage. One of the travesties of league being pro and union amateur is that they were able to spend all their money on building up their clubs in ways that league clubs couldn't because the players shared in the revenue. Now they have revenue streams we don't and they can now spend it on players.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Yeah but they're not that well organised. They just have that old boys network behind them and that's a big advantage. One of the travesties of league being pro and union amateur is that they were able to spend all their money on building up their clubs in ways that league clubs couldn't because the players shared in the revenue. Now they have revenue streams we don't and they can now spend it on players.

Think he was being sarcastic ECT.

If he was being sarcastic I don't see what his point is. Union really is a massive threat to RL and not one we can really counter in many ways. If you had any idea about bush footy you would understand these issues.

jbl31649

Juniors
If he was being sarcastic I don't see what his point is. Union really is a massive threat to RL and not one we can really counter in many ways. If you had any idea about bush footy you would understand these issues.

Don't worry about union. I played 15-17s from 1995-96 at Cessnock, it started get popular. A bit like basketball a few years earlier. When I left I heard later they even had u10/12s etc for a couple of years, but now they don't even have a senior squad.

Union stuffed up after '03, when Union had a very high interest and you could watch super 12s. When they put all matchs on Fox, they limited their exposure to the masses.

Now all a young kid from an average household gets to see is internationals and saturday Rugby on ABC. They still live in a class world.

AFL and Soccer have always been a problem even when I was a kid. My mum would only let me play soccer when I was 5, but I kept catching the ball and running with. So dad set thats I'm playing league.

If th ARLC join with OZ tag, it can help settle the fears of mummy worrying about her little boy getting hurt. I know its on the agenda for them about junior participation and I really think we should have u5-12's playing Oz tag.

This will allow big and little kids to play using most the things the see on TV with out a big Pacific Islander kid running over the top of everyone.

It may mean more concentration on tackling from U12's and up, but at least they would all hace learnt passing and had opportunites at kicking.

Oz tag is pretty good fun anyway.

Last edited:
Union is the biggest threat (in terms of rival sports) to senior football in most country areas. Not AFL or soccer. At junior level it is slightly different, but even so union is a big rival for RL because it attracts the same kind of kids as we try to. We're winning the junior battle, but at senior level it's not so easy.

jbl31649

Juniors
Union is the biggest threat (in terms of rival sports) to senior football in most country areas. Not AFL or soccer. At junior level it is slightly different, but even so union is a big rival for RL because it attracts the same kind of kids as we try to. We're winning the junior battle, but at senior level it's not so easy.

True, but TV is great at capturing the imagination of youngsters. When they grow up, they may play Union here and there, but hopefully because of their interests when they where young they at least keep watching the NRL.

I know I did and thats after playing Rugby in my teens and in the Army. At the time Supershit was screwing League anyway. I'm about to do some coaching courses next month too.

It isn't going to be easy, but I am going to reserve Judgement of the ARLC for a couple of seasons to see what plan they have and how they will implement it.

After talking to some CRL people they are confident John Grant is on side and will push to keep City/Country. Luckily he and Jock Colley get on well. We need people like Jock in the ear of the commissioners.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
After talking to some CRL people they are confident John Grant is on side and will push to keep City/Country. Luckily he and Jock Colley get on well. We need people like Jock in the ear of the commissioners.

I agree about Jock Colley.

Have faith mate. We're all in this together.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I like the Sunday Afternoon & Sunday night game idea. Don't know if 2 teams in Melbourne would work. At least not in the near future.

was discussing this at the Perth game last night and all the fans around me were in agreement that a 4.30pm (6.30pm Eastern time) KO in Perth would be perfect time for us.

Agree that a 2nd Melbourne team is at the very bottom of the expansion priority list! Other than that weired suggestion he is spot on.

POPEYE

Coach

Never fear ECT . . . not a redneck bone in your body so no need to belittle you.

Union compared to AFL is King Kong to a chimp. Kids in the bush are converting from League in big numbers. Union is building stadiums where League can't play.

nqboy

First Grade
Union compared to AFL is King Kong to a chimp. Kids in the bush are converting from League in big numbers. Union is building stadiums where League can't play.
Seriously? Or extracting the urine? Did you mean AFL is building exclusive stadiums?

If the opposite is to be undertstood he is suggesting AFL is bigger than union in country NSW, that league players are converting to AFL and it is building AFL only stadiums in the bush. None of which is true.

POPEYE

Coach
If the opposite is to be undertstood he is suggesting AFL is bigger than union in country NSW, that league players are converting to AFL and it is building AFL only stadiums in the bush. None of which is true.

Every word you say on this subject you genuinely believe and imo you're 100% accurate.

Maybe I need a sign to display when I'm not on guard for rednecks. Possibly even be more self explanatory for those I believe want to participate in a forum
in a way it was originally designed.

My reference to stadiums is not an official view. People will tell you that because Union has influential backing in the country and are starting to build
fields and grandstands that it is good for the whole community.

Country areas are blessed with large tracts of land available to any well healed group . . . Union the preferred sport of hobby farmers. They emit an air of 'if you want to play grass roots League
build your own facilities' although it is not written down anywhere.

Union is attractive in country areas because anyone who wants to be someone sees the code as a stepping stone to mixing with people who can advance lifestyle.

Establishing a team in a large country community where people of outlying districts think nothing of travelling long distances in a straight line
would go a long way to hindering Union's perceived class superiority

El Diablo

Post Whore
didn't last for long so not a great deal discussed

interesting when asked about expansion he seemed to say they'd be more interested in doing it sooner rather than later if a TV network said they'd offer more if you had a team in X

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
didn't last for long so not a great deal discussed

interesting when asked about expansion he seemed to say they'd be more interested in doing it sooner rather than later if a TV network said they'd offer more if you had a team in X

Sounds like Perth is a shoe-in